Today's S6, Oct 15 [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Today's S6, Oct 15

CGC
10-15-2005, 10:24 AM
I guess we heard right :rolleyes:, they were talking about power stones before the show even started.

I like that Cobra airship, it's been on before, hasn't it? - Ahh, a battle cruiser. That would make a great set, but I doubt we'll see anything that large again. :o

Hover-bikes make an appearance.

Spirit's voice sounds too old for his character, definately sounds Native American, but it really doesn't suit him.

White Vipers? What were they? (In the cockpit of the airship, who Baroness ordered to "Activate the diggers") I want some...

Ah, no! SS just hands the stone over to SE?!? Oh well, kind of nice that they left Tunnel rat in the swamp :p

I hope this power stone thing isn't going to be a main theme of the show. Some special heavy element, who knows, maybe a special uranium or something, but power stones? Oh well. . .

So far I've liked most of the episodes, though this one did slip a little - but then again, I'm not their target audience.

The MASS Device
10-15-2005, 10:33 AM
I thought this was the best episode so far. Sure, Power Stones are lame, but once you get over that, there was a lot of good action. Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow, check. Spirit makes a great introduction, check. The Baroness in a huge airship against the RHINO, check. Long-Range pulling out some nifty shots with his sniper rifle, check. No Scott or Spud, double check. And Duke didn't monologue through the whole episode either, just some at the beginning. This all makes for a great episode. I can see this show going in the right direction, even if the overarching plot is childish. I can see kids getting into these cool characters -- Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Spirit, Long-Range, Scarlett, Baroness, Zartan, and the list goes on. Duke is annoying and Tunnel Rat will only appeal to a select few (me not being one of them). But this show has got some potential. I hope the ratings improve.

SharpShot
10-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Did they mention Spirit's eagle by name? I missed that.

Long Range was very cool in this episode. The Matrix-esque bike chase was well done also.

I'm not sure where the Snake-Eyes/Storm Shadow relationship is going. After today's episode it seems like the door is open for Storm Shadow to defect again.

Did that ending remind anyone of the fight between Storm Shadow and Spirit in the Revenge of Cobra?

Bravo
10-15-2005, 12:28 PM
It was an okay episode. The stock footage teaser is just filler. And what's up with the reuse of the CC on his throne resting his head on his fist (Like that Thinker statue)? How many times are they gonna show that?

Spirit sounds stereotypically native american...somethings don't change. But it's good to see him.

These highways kept appearing for Snake-Eyes and Stormie to have chases on. Oddly there were only 2 other vehicles on the roads the whole time.

Odd that Dr. Mindbender is not a player in this Cobra, especially with all these high tech stuff.

I could've used more Scott and Spudd. They are the heart and soul of the show. :p

The Faceless Master
10-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Baroness is SOO HOTT!! NGAWR!!! :p

thorn
10-15-2005, 01:18 PM
watching it now, pretty cool.
but what is whitht he Rhino? they only have one?
the HAVE to save it!

Bravo
10-15-2005, 04:37 PM
watching it now, pretty cool.
but what is whitht he Rhino? they only have one?
the HAVE to save it!

Hey, that's realistic with todays' army. They send guys who lost limbs in Iraqi bills for debt like "lost gear". :mad:

skinny
10-15-2005, 07:40 PM
billy not freedom like the original

willie&joe
10-15-2005, 08:08 PM
This was the first episode I've had a chance to see. It was actually better than I expected. I didn't think it was good but I did enjoy it. I might even try and tune in next week. I did think it was funny that Duke refused to leave the RHINO behind. He must really love it.

I felt the quality was comparable to most modern cartoons, which really isn't saying much. But times are different and like previous posters have said, this show isn't geared towards us. It is pretty much just a long advertisment for a line of toys that most of us Joe collectors aren't to excited about (although, I am tempted to buy a couple, they do look kinda sweet).

My only big complant is about Spirit's bird. No longer a bald eagle named Freedom but a falcon named Billy. Now I understand that a falcon makes more sense, seeing people have been training falcons for centuries, and a huge eagle seems a little harder to train. My problem is this: They replaced my favorite character (Lt. Falcon) with a bird and named him after Cobra Commanders son. COME ON!!! DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO SHOOT DOWN ALL OF MY HEROES?????!!!!!!!

Umm... Sorry about that. I have a tendancy to over-react.

So, in otherwords aside from riping my heart out, I think they did a decent job with this cartoon. I hope it does well. I am just glad to have the Joes back on TV.

Liokaiser
10-15-2005, 08:15 PM
enjoyed it like I have the rest of the series.

Only thing i noticed is I thought the Baroness was a little out of character at times, yet she looked great doing it. After stopping the joes in the rhino that school girl laugh deal (legs kicking in the air and what not) and later what reminded me of Winry of FMA's butt wiggle about to start when they found that rock.

Yeah this storyline is getting silly but in a way I think may be like the first 5, might just be a chunk of a bigger storyline.

Yeah Billy the Falcon instead of Freedom the Eagle, and we get Freedom in the toy. Oh well and yes I would love to have that Cobra ship Baroness was on for a DTC line vehicle. (**** a diecast mini version would rock) Gonzo knows how to do up good ship designs don't they.

thorn
10-15-2005, 08:43 PM
They replaced my favorite character (Lt. Falcon) with a bird and named him after Cobra Commanders son.

that is funny. annoying that they take a good name like freedom and make it billy- probably another lame "naming right" somoene already holds.

Obiwanjacoby
10-16-2005, 03:27 AM
Loved this episode! Watched it twice. And I'll probably watch it again after that. No problems at all! Of course, the reason why I liked it is pretty obvious after my previous week's rant. :rolleyes: This time around, Gonzo redeemed themselves.

Power Stones. . .catalytic Elements. Potato, po-tah-to. :D It's all good from here!

My fave part was the entire scene with Long Range and Spirit. Baroness and Spirit translate into anime quite well!

-PJ

Liokaiser
10-16-2005, 09:39 AM
I second thaton Baroness fitting into Anime well. I'm still iffy on Turok. (sorry but Spirit reminds me more Turok even in the show)

Still I am stunned 6 eps in and no screenshot site anywhere?

Richard J.
10-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Power Stones. . .catalytic Elements. Potato, po-tah-to. :D It's all good from here!

-PJ
Exactly what I thought when this whole power stone deal started! How much more "out there" is this versus old favorite story lines like the MASS Device or the Weather Dominator or Serpentor?

Anyway, the action in this episode was excellent. The whole Storm Shadow giving up the stone was spot on for the character! How many times did he do things like that in the old toons? Not to mention his moral shifts in the comics.

Minimal technobabble, human Cobra Troopers, no BATS, and NO FREAKING SPUD THE ROBO-DOG!

Best episode so far, I think, except maybe for Cobra Commander's first appearance.

I'm hoping that Hasbro and the TV folks can decide to keep this on for another season. If Sigma 6 has time to correct some of it's flaws, it could become a very good show. At least, that's what I think.

Richard J.

P.S. Anyone else want a Sigma 6 Baroness? Hot! ;)

Graz73
10-17-2005, 11:58 AM
The SE/SS motorcycle battle was great.

Overall I thought it was pretty good, but was annoyed that they are so caught up in protecting the ROCC and RHINO... Aren't they funded by the US? I think a super-elite team could occasionally be given a new vehicle if one is destroyed! They act like they are some independant team with no outside support. (with the exception of Hawk in the hospital there)

Also, I wish they'd work in cameos from more classic vehicles or characters. Instead of "Overlord-Alpha" they could have used an overkill or BATT. Instead of Baroness's battleship, they could have used a Raven and a couple mambas...