cartoon greenshirts [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : cartoon greenshirts

Falcone
10-16-2005, 01:40 AM
can someone tell me what the point of greenshirts in the cartoon? They always show a handful of joes and a group of GSs. Why not replace those GSs with actual joes?

Net-Viper X
10-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Yeah it would make sence if people actually got shot in the cartoons, they would serve as cannon foddor so the main characters didnt get killed, but with noone ever getting shot, no point in having them. Maybe they are easier to draw being so plain, so it saves time and money on the episode, and they dont normally need voice actors.

The Faceless Master
10-16-2005, 11:52 AM
the only time i saw greenshirts en masse was in the Revenge of Cobra movie
when they had to protect Washington DC from the lightning strikes

still, a coupla them shoulda been smacked unconscious by those hail balls :p

SharpShot
10-16-2005, 02:30 PM
I guess the designers felt that there had to be a large enough force to beat back Cobra's army of Vipers/Bats.

Plus GS are easier to draw.

Propadeutic
10-17-2005, 11:59 PM
There was a pretty big group of extras in Money to Burn, but the ones I'm thinking of were in blue paratrooper outfits for some reason. Almost like Battle Copter Ace in a way.

I agree that greenshirts took screen time that could have been given to other Joes. Compare: In The Revenge of Cobra, we see Grunt, Short-Fuze, and Zap guarding Headquarters. They exchange a few lines. In Lasers in the Night, a greenshirt detects incoming Rattlers and has a couple lines with Breaker. Which is more memorable? Which is more likely to endear the young viewer to Hasbro product? Which is a better use of the writer's resources.

Another example to compare, both from Cobra's Creatures. At the beginning, we see Flint, Mutt, and Rip Cord conducting a test with Doc and Cover Girl watching from the ground. Only Mutt and Rip Cord were necessary to the story, but we enjoy seeing the others. Later, Wild Bill and two greenshirts are attacked. The greenshirts have most of the dialogue, but who cares about them? They could just as easily have been neglected characters like Flash, Rock 'n Roll, Stalker, or Blowtorch.

One last observation, barely on-topic: This year's 6-pack greenshirts resemble the cartoon guys better with an original Zap torso.

Falcone
10-18-2005, 12:26 AM
There was a pretty big group of extras in Money to Burn, but the ones I'm thinking of were in blue paratrooper outfits for some reason. Almost like Battle Copter Ace in a way.

i like in the DIC episodes where those paras where purple with orange helmets, anyone have any pix of those?

Patrick A. Riley
01-18-2008, 03:28 PM
They had orangish shirts w/ camo spots and purple helmets

Falcone
01-31-2008, 08:39 PM

Those uniforms are so hideous :p

Does anyone has some good pics of the grrenshirts that wear white shirts? I think they were in Operation Dragonfire.

Propaedeutic
01-31-2008, 09:06 PM
There are a few glimpses of the Dragonfire extras in the opening: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JKdI4sAtIy4

Barbecue
02-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Those greenshirt soldiers would have been great action figures to collect in the 80's to battle with the Cobra Troopers and the 101 Viper groups and subgroups.;)

Rooster3D
02-06-2008, 03:18 PM

Hard to tell by that picture, but it was probably supposed to be a blue-gray helmet and tan uniform affected by dim red lights. Just a guess. Then again... the room is all blue. Sloppy artwork with an attempt at visual style and/or lighting.