View Full Version : Anyone ever serve on a carrier?

Obiwanjacoby
10-16-2005, 04:14 AM
I'm trying to find out from some Navy guys if they use light up batons during night landings. If so, what color are they? It's for an LSO custom I'm working on. I got nearly 100% accurate parts for the figure, but I'm looking for accessories to go w/it. Please respond here, or PM me. Thanks!

-PJ

Icebreaker
10-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Only picture I have is a guy with a yellow-looking stick. It looks like a yellowish flashlight color to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/yojoeicebreaker/th_flightdeck.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/yojoeicebreaker/flightdeck.jpg)

red25thta
10-16-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm trying to find out from some Navy guys if they use light up batons during night landings. If so, what color are they? It's for an LSO custom I'm working on. I got nearly 100% accurate parts for the figure, but I'm looking for accessories to go w/it. Please respond here, or PM me. Thanks!

-PJ
PJ my Dad flew A-6's off the Saratoga. He said they are/were Amber but at night look white with a hint of yellow in them.
hope this helps. PM me if you need to.

BTW - I've started working on some of my customs with that paint and they are starting to look awesome. I'll post some pics as soon as they are done. Again thanks for getting and shipping them to me (G)!

orionlukteel
10-16-2005, 12:06 PM
I'll ask my buddy - he's currently serving on the USS Abraham Lincoln after a stint on the Roosevelt.

Obiwanjacoby
10-16-2005, 12:53 PM
PJ my Dad flew A-6's off the Saratoga. He said they are/were Amber but at night look white with a hint of yellow in them.
hope this helps. PM me if you need to.

I have the parts for a nearly dead-on LSO. IMO, this is going to look WAY better than simply switching heads on a Cutter fig. I got alot of wearable accessories I "stripped" off a Chap-Mei guy who has an orange version of the vests that deck personnel wear. Can't wait to build it. Also got a Barrel-Roll v.1 helmet that I added earphones and a "microphone" that I had clipped off a gun muzzle and shaped to the helmet. Can't wait to get this one made!

BTW - I've started working on some of my customs with that paint and they are starting to look awesome. I'll post some pics as soon as they are done. Again thanks for getting and shipping them to me (G)!

Can't wait for your pics either! My custom Dreadnok cycle came out fantastic!

-PJ

Obiwanjacoby
10-16-2005, 12:55 PM
I'll ask my buddy - he's currently serving on the USS Abraham Lincoln after a stint on the Roosevelt.

Thanks! Appreciated! I'd love to hear what he has to say.

-PJ

red25thta
10-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Cann't wait to see the pics for the LSO. Soudns good already cann't wait to see.

BTW - ur Dread trike came out great. I hope the ones I am working on come out as well (G)
But I am going with a Cobra blue base instead of the purple they used at the con. Close to the Dread Stringer.

orionlukteel
10-16-2005, 08:56 PM
PJ-
Talked to my friend this afternoon - the funniest part? He's colorblind. :D (He's a Corpsman, so no damage done there)

But he's going to check with the other guys on the carrier and let me know.
He might even send me pictures, we'll see.

From what he told me, though, it sounds like what Icebreaker described above is still in use. (Makes sense, if he was serving in the 90's)

A little OT - he was on the Lincoln when it went over to Thailand following the tsunami. CNN did a really cool online story about him, basically followed him around for an entire couple days and took lots of pictures. The photo essay was POWERFUL, but no longer up on their website. Once I get the photos uploaded to Yahoo I'll post the link here.

His current assignment is a smaller boat but he's only been off the Lincoln for maybe a month now.

More later!

Obiwanjacoby
10-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Cann't wait to see the pics for the LSO. Soudns good already cann't wait to see.

The sealer's drying even as I write this. This way way moredifficult than I thought. It's impossible to paint a greenshirt trooper yellow. It comes out green. Doesn't matter what you prime it with. After four tries with sifferent chemicals, all you get is yellow green. But I got lucky and had a spare pair of Funskool Captain Gridiron arms! Which goes to prove that THERE ARE NO USELESS Joe body parts!!!:D

-PJ

dockingbay97
10-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Anyone who is anyone who works on a flight deck wears red with a black stripe.

I still have my float coat hanging in the closet.

Obiwanjacoby
10-17-2005, 06:26 PM
I was using this site as a reference for the actual "shirts". Very informative. . .

http://navysite.de/cvn/catcolor.htm

Attached is the one I tried to come closest to.

-PJ

Celticjedi
10-18-2005, 09:52 PM
The LSO's are the guys who hand out by the stern and talk the plane in and are senior aviator. They will wear white float coats and have no lighted battons.

Obiwanjacoby
10-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Okay, cool. Then do the AHOs or anyone else use batons?

-PJ