Snake Eyes & Scarlett's Relationship-why Wasn't it Part of the Cartoons? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Snake Eyes & Scarlett's Relationship-why Wasn't it Part of the Cartoons?

Magi
10-26-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm wondering...why wasn't Snake Eyes & Scarlett paired as mission partners or lovers in the cartoons? Why was Scarlett paired with Duke? I think Marvel underestimated the intelligence of the cartoons' fans . I mean if the relationship between the Baroness & Destro-who are both terrorists,BTW- can be shown, why not that of Snake Eyes & Scarlett

Falcone
10-26-2005, 11:27 PM
i prefer duke and scarlett together, snake eyes seems like the kind of guy that wouldnt be involved....with anyone
SE and scarlett were close in the cartoon, depicted in the 1st mini series.

Obiwanjacoby
10-26-2005, 11:36 PM
My guesses. . .

(a.) The SE/Scarlett storyline was too "deep".

(b.) The Producers at Sunbow were in full swing before the Hama storyline fully developed. I dunno about that last one, I'd have to check my dates.

-PJ

Bleak5170
10-27-2005, 08:58 AM
I think it would have been to difficult to try and develop a relationship in a cartoon where one of the characters was silent. It's much easier to let the reader in on inside info and what characters are thinking in a comic.

I also think the show's writers were going a little more mainsteam and the "American" way, by having the Joe leader involved with the leading lady. It's the whole quarterback-dating-the-head-cheerleader scenario.

whitedalek
10-27-2005, 11:53 AM
I think it would have been to difficult to try and develop a relationship in a cartoon where one of the characters was silent. It's much easier to let the reader in on inside info and what characters are thinking in a comic.

I also think the show's writers were going a little more mainsteam and the "American" way, by having the Joe leader involved with the leading lady. It's the whole quarterback-dating-the-head-cheerleader scenario.

Very true. I read an interview awhile back with the producers of the cartoon and they said primarily the same thing. Duke and Scarlett were the two main characters so they linked them together romantically. They also said that Snake Eyes wouldn't get the same amount of treatment as in the comic since they only had 22 minutes for an episode and dealing with a character who couldn't talk would be too difficult for such a short time frame in a cartoon designed for kids.

Angry Beef
10-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Scarlet and Duke also seemed more flirty than serious. If they are shown more as a couple I am unaware of it.. I didn't get the DVD for season 1 pt.1.
Duke and Scarlet seemed more ambigious especially since he flirts just as much with Cover Girl in "Cobra Claws Are Coming to Town".

Take a look at Lady Jaye and Flint. It was clear there was a romantic relationship going on.

danyanda
10-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Snake Eyes was pimping Scarlett out so Duke could could have cover to stay in the army. I am a Duke fan, but cartoon Duke was definitely a little... minty.

Angry Beef
10-27-2005, 05:36 PM
What? Duke in the cartoon was Capt. Frickin' Kirk. He was laying pipe from Alaska to Sierra Gordo.

The slave girl, scarlett, cover girl these ladies were not beards... I'm surprised Duke didn't get kicked out of the army for his possible exposures and spreading of VD.

Xerofall
11-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Very true. I read an interview awhile back with the producers of the cartoon and they said primarily the same thing. Duke and Scarlett were the two main characters so they linked them together romantically. They also said that Snake Eyes wouldn't get the same amount of treatment as in the comic since they only had 22 minutes for an episode and dealing with a character who couldn't talk would be too difficult for such a short time frame in a cartoon designed for kids.

You nailed it.

Taichiro
11-07-2005, 10:18 PM
I dunno why, but as a kid, I thought the leaders were Flint and Duke (And I thought Flint outranked Duke).....

Hawk never even really entered into it for me........I don't really remember him having much interaction anyway.....

I know that's not relevant to the topic at hand so allow me to add this:

I just chalked it up to the leaders getting the babes......I wasn't a hard to please kid......Snake Eyes had his ninja stuff.......and besides, the only stories, IMHO that mattered were the ones I made up with my brothers, and our toys.....

Magi
11-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, technically, Flint should've outranked Duke as he was a Warrant Officer, and Duke's just a First Sergeant, though Flint's first action figfure gave his rank as an E-6.
As for the 'babe' reference. I don't think that applies to Lady J. Compared to Scarlett & Cover Girl, she looked the oldest female Joe in the cartoons. At least Scarlett looked more like a teenager, and Cover Girl was a former model. You couldn't blame the fans for thinking of those two as babes -though Scarlett just might kick ya into next week for telling her that-see the comics.
It's a shame though that Scarlett's ties with Snake Eyes weren't part of the cartoon lore. Ditto, SE's disfigurement should've been delved into.
I just hope SE's ties with Jinx at least is explored in Sigma 6.

Xerofall
11-14-2005, 09:15 PM
SE's injuries were all created by Larry Hama. Hasbro didn't really explain what his story was, he was just a mystery man. (Hama wrote most of the file cards too.) The helo crash and disfigurment was all from Hama's mind.

So the cartoon wouldn't follow that really because Hama didn't have anything to say about it.

I agree they should've developed Snake Eye's character more... he got slapped down in GI Joe the movie???????? That was lame.

picollogoku
11-15-2005, 01:40 AM
I can swear that read read some where that Hama stated that according to the cartoon writers and producers that duke was the more likeable all american guy. as where SE was more of a mysteryman. they also stated that the relationship would be to hard to explain. could you imagine in a kid cartoon "SE do you want to have dinner some time, ......ummm.......ummmm............uuuuummmmmm..... .:rolleyes:

Taichiro
11-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Well, call me a non-traditionalist, but I always thought Lady Jaye was hotter than Scarlett......and Cover Girl?, to me a tomboy was a turnoff.....and since she wore a bomber jacket, I equated her with a tomboy....

yeah, I told you I was a simple kid.....

Falcone
11-15-2005, 03:25 AM
i always though cover girl was "better looking" but i always like lady jaye more. scarlett was always last:p