1986 GI Joe movie - not as cool as when I was little [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : 1986 GI Joe movie - not as cool as when I was little

dukeloveswildbill
11-03-2005, 10:30 PM
I just got a copy of the original Joe movie off ebay to relive my childhood. Unfortunately, a lot of the fakeness that didn't bother me when I was little suddenly does bother me now. Stuff like:

1) At the end, the joes seem to travel to the Himalayas in the amount of time it would take to walk down the street. In one scene Lt. Falcon is guarding the GI Joe base, in the next, he meets up with Flint and Roadblock in the snow, seemingly minutes later.

2) Pythona completely infiltrates the Terrordome, but can't defeat a single GI Joe recruit (Jynx)? Please.

3) There are several Joes and Cobras wearing nothing more than T shirts or tank tops in the Himalayas. They could catch a cold!

4) Isn't is laughable when Serpentor does the cobra lalalalala chant in the battle scene before he stabs Duke?

At least the movie still had lots of cool parts. Like a training sequence, multiple break in sequences, cross cutting between a GIJOE trial and a Cobra trial, and a guy named Golobulus.

Bleak5170
11-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Almost everything about the movie is bad. It's so sad that such a great cartoon had to have such a terrible ending, (if you don't count the DIC episodes of course).

whitedalek
11-04-2005, 11:10 AM
The best part of the movie is the opening scene with the Cobra song. After that, it's all downhill. Cobra-La! .................shudder

Taichiro
11-04-2005, 03:20 PM
the Cobra song rocked......

unfortunately.....most of everything after that sucked....

there is very little redeeming........

I would like to have the original miniseries' tho.....they were ALL good.....

ttfndude
11-04-2005, 08:47 PM
I am going to watch the movie tonight and see what I think haven't seen it in years.

ttfndude

Falcone
11-05-2005, 03:14 AM
people are so quick to jump into the "the movie was to fake or not enough realism" boat, and then ignore the fact that the ENTIRE joe cartoon run from sunbow to dic had the SAME unrelism as the movie.

*ROLLS EYES IN THE MUST SARCASTIC WAY POSSIBLE"

ttfndude
11-05-2005, 02:08 PM
I thought it was still awesome. It followed the cartoon guidelines of make sure you show a few variants but keep them in their "norm" uniforms and noone dies. Anyways to talk a bit about the points pointed :( out above.

1) The joes did not get there that fast because Lifeline had time to completely check over Cobra Commander "I can't do anything for the snake" and he had done a complete evaluation on Roadblock. So I would say two to three hour because Roadblock ate before than and they had to warm him up and stuff. Still don't know if that makes sense but regular movies do it that way. It was also a bit darker.

2) Jinx gets the win but if you watch she doesn't really "Defeat" her in the fact she uses Pythona, who is probably somewhat adrenalized and rusty, against herself. She actually jumped to her own rebirth in part two:eek: or death whichever you prefer, Jinx just got out of the way.

3) The only time they are in less than cold gear prior to the recruits showing up is in the dome and it is obviously somehow heated look at what's growing. And the recruits...well, their stupid recruits:p

4) Yeah this sucked:D

It was a very good movie but what I didn't like is the worms and big moth bug that was getting out there. That and the fact Golobulus throws his time stick to his left and Falcon picks it up on G's right side and stabs him in the eye. Also after Doc patches up Duke when he first talks to Falcon the blood is on the wrong side of his chest but when they pan back it's back on the right side., and oh yeah Slaughter got blown up with Falcon but he just kind of disappeared or something I didn't see him after Duke came to Falcon's aid but they were lieing next to each other. I might have just missed it though.

All in all this ,movie still rocks. Thank you very much

skinny
11-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Sure Larry Hama refused to put it in the comic but.....
What if the original script had been intact and just like Optimus......Duke was killed, that is why Hawk was crying because originally Duke bit it. and I thought Pythona deserved a figure. Nemesis Enforcer was brutal, The Dreadnoks hit on Zarana( almost saw a lot of her) and we had celebs galore: Burgess Meredith as Golobulus and Don Johnson as Lt Falcon. at least he didnt sing. Anyway the opening rocked I think it's almost the best theme song, other than the original.... and the worst? Extreme.