Chinese Joes [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Chinese Joes

gutstheberserker
11-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Does anybody know anything about Chinese Joes? Is the Duke MOC rare or valuable?

Obiwanjacoby
11-11-2005, 10:06 AM
A *large* number of these Chinese G.I.Joe figures were made available to toy dealers in the United States and abroad. Eight figures in particular are extremely easy to find - the Chinese Duke, Chinese Flint, Tiger Force Roadblock (named Barricade, Lifeline, Dialtone, Destro 92, Cobra Commander 82, and a Chinese-exclusive Major Bludd.

The US secondary market was flooded with these 'round about 1996-97 (IIRC). All the Chinese carded Joes in general are not as rare as say. . .the carded Japanese figures or a carded Euro-exclusive. Just an example for reference.

The Chinese Duke is the rarest of all the Chinese carded figures. Some would say it's the CC, but I'd argue against that. Because he's packed missing his original gun. And with the built-in recharger on his back, this makes it more discouraging that way.

Apparently, there's not only the Chinese Duke with the Hit & Run arms as seen on Yojoe, but rumors persist of an "elastic cuff" Duke on Chinese card. :rolleyes: Still waiting for pics though. I just think there's alot of confusion on this.

If there's one thing that needs to be ironed-out, it's terminology regarding Duke. The archives need to be cleared-up regarding "cuffs", "elastic", and "rolled-up" sleeves. There's also confusion as to which elastic cuffs were used on which figure. You got Hit & Run elastic, Stalker, elastic. . .GAH!

You get the idea. ;) Hope this helps.

-PJ

gutstheberserker
11-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks -- that is useful information. I was also confused by Yojoe's terminology of the Duke cuff variations.

airedevon
11-11-2005, 12:35 PM
My two cents: I have found that the YoJoe quote Obiwanjacoby posted above is quite accurate.. that is, that eight of the first wave figures are all relatively easy to find with a little patience... As was said earlier, there was a whole bunch of them widely available in the US in the late 90's and many of them are still around...

Also several of the second wave Chinese carded figures are still fairly available today- (those with both Chinese and English on the front)...BUT... There are some Chinese figures from both waves that are unbelievably hard to find - and some of them get quite pricey!!

--scarce/rare figures from the first wave include figures like Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes, and several others...

--scarce/rare figures from the second wave include Static Line, and a few others..

I am still a few figures short of a full set of Chinese carded figures (from both waves) and I have been actively searching for them for about four years! :-) By contrast when I started collecting Japanese carded figures, I was able to put a full set together in a very short time... And I think that is true today, as well...

I love the packaging of both lines! Well worth the search imho :-)

Aire

airedevon
11-11-2005, 01:42 PM
PJ, that's interesting about the rumor of 2 different arm variations for the Chinese carded Duke... I hadn't heard that before. I was aware of the 2 different arm variations for the Japanese and US versions, but I didn't know about the possible Chinese variation.. Thanks for sharing that!

Does anyone have any further info on this?

Aire

Obiwanjacoby
11-11-2005, 01:46 PM
PJ, that's interesting about the rumor of 2 different arm variations for the Chinese carded Duke... I hadn't heard that before. I was aware of the 2 different arm variations for the Japanese and US versions, but I didn't know about the possible Chinese variation.. Thanks for sharing that!

That was a couple years ago. It might have been a confusion between Japanese and Chinese carded Joes. You see it on ebay all the time.

-PJ

airedevon
11-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Yea, that would make sense.. Thanks for the clarification! I'll keep my eye out just in case :-)

Obiwanjacoby
11-11-2005, 04:14 PM
--rare figures from the first wave include figures like Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes, and several others...

--rare figures from the second wave include Static Line, Rock Viper, and several others..

Here's a cardback of the rest (http://www.yojoe.com/international/china/images/stalkerback.jpg).

-PJ

airedevon
11-11-2005, 04:33 PM
PJ thanks for posting the cardback! The Rock Viper I'm looking for is from wave one (not wave 2)... sorry about that :-) I corrected it above !

THANKS!
Aire

Falcone
11-11-2005, 06:20 PM
why doesnt the international archive have all the chinese and japanese figures listed?

The Faceless Master
11-11-2005, 09:12 PM
why doesnt the international archive have all the chinese and japanese figures listed?
Most likely nobody has contributed them to the yojoe staff :(

Obiwanjacoby
11-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Like Aire alluded to, not all of them have been archived.

I seriously don't believe anyone even has the whole set. They literally float under collectors' radar and never-ever get archived. And I should know. I used to camp those auctions regularly while doing research on the TNT price guide for Ron Connor. I think some of that info got passed on to the book too. I can also vouch for the fact that his prices are solid, as I backed all the completed auctions up with direct links on what sold, what didn't, & for how much.

IMO, collectors in general have really dropped the ball submitting to the archive in the past few years. That's why everyone thinks I'm such a jerkhole. ;) I just remember how things used to be. There's still alot of vintage figures waiting to be submitted, geez--who knows how many foreign variants are still out there. . .

In my case with the Chinese Stalker, I just happened to be looking for an extra arctic Stalker for cheap (this was pre-winter-ops set, mind you).

Imagine my shock when I found out it wasn't listed on YoJoe. I saw that one listed on ebay at least once a month, I figured it was so common. Everyone kept passing on it. I bought it for a song. Something ridiculous like. . .four bucks. It was even cheaper than a bagged MO Arctic Commando variant. Naturally, I opened it after taking pics. :p But it's no biggie, I'm sure there's lots more of that one still out there.

I really like the Chinese figures with the weapon/accessory variants. I think the only other place you'll find that Sand Scorpion for example (with the spring-loaded gear), would be on the Euro Cards.

-PJ

Obiwanjacoby
11-11-2005, 09:38 PM
What I wanna know is:

#1. Can anyone tell me if the Chinese Tripwire came with the same gear as the US version, or was he equipped with the Listen & Fun accessories?

#2. Did the Chinese Rock Viper have spring-loaded accessories? If so, was it a grappeling hook? Was it a recolor of Snake-Eyes v.4's launcher?

-PJ

airedevon
11-11-2005, 09:51 PM
PJ, the Chinese Tripwire came with the same accessories as the US version - but both the Chinese version figure and accessories are just a little bit brighter shade of green..

The Chinese Rock Viper does not have the shooting feature. I bought one (well I paid for one) back in August.. but it still has not arrived (but I have not given up hope :-)

Aire

Obiwanjacoby
11-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks, Aire! :)

-PJ

Falcone
11-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Most likely nobody has contributed them to the yojoe staff :(

Ive got my eye on a TON of of both janese and chinese carded figures, if i get them i will let you know. See if they can be added to the archive......but you wont get any loose examples;)

jabba the drunk
11-12-2005, 02:02 PM
IMO, collectors in general have really dropped the ball submitting to the archive in the past few years. -PJ

Not to divert this thread, but to add a touch. :)

In my personal experience, this isn't quite the case (though I'm sure it applies in some areas). IMO, it is not the collectors who haven't been submitting to the archive, it is the archive that has not done much with the submissions, especially with regard to the international section.

With relation to two of my collecting foci, I've submitted many pictures & info on Action Force and Destro items. 50 or so. I began submitting years ago. To date, only two items have made their way onto the site.

It takes alot of time to bring items from storage, take pictures, crop pictures, resize, reformat, write-up narratives, and submit them to an admin. You want to make sure you've got the info spot-on, so you're not contibuting to the spread of inaccurate info. If you've done this a few time, and have seen no response...well... you pretty much lose enthusiasm to submit additional items.

So in my experience, it is not a good assumption to lay this soley on collector's feet. I should also add that I do understand that the admins volunteer their time and energy. If I were in their shoes, I'm not sure if I would want to dedicate all of my free time to updating a website either. I certainly appreciate them for what they are able to do with the site, but also acknowledge a defficiency in archiving.

-Peter

Obiwanjacoby
11-12-2005, 05:34 PM
I don't get it.

Every single one of my submissions (including anon items) have made it in. Sure, it's only like four or five items total, but I've never had to wait. This was over a couple years.

-PJ

jabba the drunk
11-13-2005, 01:38 AM
I don't get it.

-PJ

Heh. Yes...

-Peter

Obiwanjacoby
11-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Let's not mince words then.

Are you saying it's the archive admin's fault that your submissions don't get on the archives?

Or is this a completely unrelated issue that you have about me personally (:sigh: again)?

Don't beat around the bush Peter, if you're gonna point fingers, show some guts.

-PJ

Obiwanjacoby
11-13-2005, 02:52 PM
And another thing.

Please don't write a 200+ word post and then say it isn't hijacking when it clearly is. That was obviously more than "adding a touch" now, wasn't it?

-PJ

jabba the drunk
11-13-2005, 05:26 PM
I just re-read this post and thought it best to remove it in it's entirety.

Sometimes arguing back and forth in messageboards is pointless (though it can be a good read for others!)

No need to prolong arguement and further add to the the divergence of the thread.

-Peter

Falcone
11-13-2005, 06:50 PM
how do you go about submitting to the archive?

Tattoo Shane
11-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Let's not mince words then.

Are you saying it's the archive admin's fault that your submissions don't get on the archives?

Or is this a completely unrelated issue that you have about me personally (:sigh: again)?

Don't beat around the bush Peter, if you're gonna point fingers, show some guts.

-PJ

You know Paul, you *seem* like a bright guy. You really do. But it seems odd to me that after Peter's first, clearly stated post you're having such a hard time grasping the points that he made.

I mean, honestly, who else's fault but the admin's would it be that people's submissions aren't getting on the archive? You've been around long enough to know that many collectors have been complaining, pretty much ever since Eugene left the site that submissions are backlogged (ie lost) and probably will never make it onto the site unless they're re-submitted. This is no secret (and not a shot against the admin staff), it's just a straight-up fact. Everyone knows it. A site like this can't go through as many staff changes and as much political upheaval as it has without stuff getting lost or people losing interest in doing the job they're supposed to here.

There was no beating around the bush when Peter stated this, the fingers were squarely pointed and yet, here you are, making an issue out of it because lo' you are the great defender of the Joe hobby and the sanctity of the Holy Archive. Here's an idea, if you love this site so much and you want so much stuff added, maybe you should let the webstaff know you're interested in becoming a staff member so people can send everything in to you and you can make sure it makes it onto the site. At the very least, then and only then would you have a right to spout off about it like you do.

And really, when i look over this thread it wasn't Peter who brought this up. It was you complaining once again about collectors not caring about the archive or sending things in for submission. Don't get your knickers in a knot when someone replies to what you say and you can't understand more than 47 words of a 200+ word post. This isn't the first time you've missed the point and you proceed to make an issue of it while everyone else gets it.

Now, if you're simply referring to what Peter said here:

Heh. Yes...

-Peter

...well, then confront him directly about that quote. Don't run around screaming about the stuff that was painfully clear when you're really just mad about the pot shot he took at you. You always demand absolute clarity in posts from others yet you never offer up the same in yours. Hypocritical much?

Obiwanjacoby
11-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Shane, you're rather unfashionably late for the party.

Pete very graciously ended the debate four hours earlier.

I'm following the fine example he set, and I'm letting it go also. How about it?

-PJ

Tattoo Shane
11-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Shane, you're rather unfashionably late for the party.

Yeah, sorry. Life outside the internet and all that. ;)

Pete very graciously ended the debate four hours earlier.

I'm following the fine example he set, and I'm letting it go also. How about it?

-PJ

Gladly. I just needed to get my daily measure of being a jerk out of my system. And i'd really hate for things not to be clear to people. But i'm better now. Thanks. :)

KrymsynGardImmoral
11-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Hey, I got the chips and grape sody, where's the party?

Huh.....Missed it again.

CGC
01-14-2006, 11:51 PM
how do you go about submitting to the archive?
It's a late answer, but here you go:
http://www.yojoe.com/contact2.shtml
You can find a link to this on top of the main YoJoe (http://www.yojoe.com/) page. Good luck, they're usually very quick about putting up new info, & I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing what new goodies you've got to share.

Falcone
01-15-2006, 12:16 AM
It's a late answer, but here you go:
http://www.yojoe.com/contact2.shtml
You can find a link to this on top of the main YoJoe (http://www.yojoe.com/) page. Good luck, they're usually very quick about putting up new info, & I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing what new goodies you've got to share.

i have submitted the 2 i have, wish i had more but i was unable to win a few auctions. its odd that their not in the archive....chinese jes are fairly common

The Faceless Master
01-15-2006, 04:15 PM
i have submitted the 2 i have, wish i had more but i was unable to win a few auctions. its odd that their not in the archive....chinese jes are fairly common
from what i understand, the archivers are very overloaded right now
which would explain why your submissions havent been entered yet
which is also why the link to the weapons havent been updated as well

Falcone
01-15-2006, 04:27 PM
when i said it was odd that their not in the archive, i meant its odd no one else submitted them. i just submitted them yesterday:)

Urban Saboteur
01-16-2006, 04:08 AM
..we're on the subject of yojoe stuff being archived.. not only are the chineese joes missing certain stuff .. but I personally think the whole Internationals section could do with a major facelift..
Theres alot missing from the UK AF stuff.. thats not there.. the United Kingdom stuff just seems to be collectable stuff rather than the toyline.
As for the chineese stuff.. I haven't even started collecting these yet!
NEM

The Faceless Master
01-16-2006, 11:30 AM
there is a whole website dedicated to strictly Action Force Stuff
i dont have the website/URL here at work so I will post here again
later tonight when I get home...

it has everything from the Roboskull, to the Red Baron etc etc
really detailed too with catalog pictures & info about sub-teams etc

Patrick A. Riley
01-16-2006, 11:37 AM
http://www.actionforce.org/home.html

Robot Rabbit
02-02-2006, 04:18 PM
IMO, collectors in general have really dropped the ball submitting to the archive in the past few years. That's why everyone thinks I'm such a jerkhole. ;) I just remember how things used to be. There's still alot of vintage figures waiting to be submitted, geez--who knows how many foreign variants are still out there. . .

I actually emailed the staff some time ago about contributing pictures of my Chineese GI Joe figures, but never got any reply...