View Full Version : Superman Returns.

Obiwanjacoby
11-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Teaser's up.

http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

-PJ

Clutch II
11-18-2005, 12:04 AM
yup saw it after smallville,and to be honest i feel this movie will be a flop :(

The Faceless Master
11-18-2005, 12:06 AM
hmm

Kate Bosworth as Lois?
the MAN Keyser Soze as Lex Luthor?

wouldnt James Marsden be breach of contract of some sort
by being in both DC & Marvel?

RAS ONE J
11-18-2005, 12:09 AM
This will be a DVD movie for me...The Batman Begins movie didn't interest me to buy it..just rented it. So far the DC movies haven't been good for me.

Clutch II
11-18-2005, 12:13 AM
the problem with this movie is that for the boy Clark Kent people are used to Tom Welling from Smallville for Superman were used to Cristoher reeve who unlike Batman had the same actor as Superman.

how many Batmans were their?

RAS ONE J
11-18-2005, 12:23 AM
the problem with this movie is that for the boy Clark Kent people are used to Tom Welling from Smallville for Superman were used to Cristoher reeve who unlike Batman had the same actor as Superman.

how many Batmans were their?

Believe there were 5. I thought earlier ones were ok..but after the Spiderman movies came out..it's just raised the bar for comic movies.

dockingbay97
11-18-2005, 12:27 AM
I would have been much happier had they used the Smallville cast

And for the record, make mine Marvel

Clutch II
11-18-2005, 12:34 AM
i wish they did that too DB but they won't for fear of revealing too much information about the TV show like what happens too Chloe or so on.

GBPackRat
11-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Dunno...

Watched the teaser and it really didn't show all that much...

Movie could go either way in my opinion.

Tanner

PS: Next Batman movie please ! ! ! Maybe even a nice JLA movie while your at it DC... Oh oh and a Flash movie!

Obiwanjacoby
11-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Movie could go either way in my opinion.

I agree. Story, directing and acting are all important. People tend to pay too much attention to casting.

Maybe even a nice JLA movie while your at it DC... Oh oh and a Flash movie!

That would be high budget indeed. :cool:

-PJ

willie&joe
11-18-2005, 11:27 AM
I think its kinda weird and maybe a little cool that somehow Brando is still Jor-El. Thought it was a cool voice over on the trailer.
Anyway I'm a big Superman fan so I'm hoping that this will be a good one. With the way they've been making comic book movies lately (I thought Batman, Spiderman and Hellboy were awesome, X-Men was just so-so) I'm sure it can't be bad. We haven't had a Supes movie since '87. For me Christopher Reeve will forever be Superman but since that can't happen I'll just be happy with a new movie. I'm not a fan of Smallville so I'm happy they aren't using that cast.

yojoebro82
11-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Am I the only one who is looking foreward to this movie? I have high hopes.
IMO it's always better to have creators who are FANS of the charactors take on the project. Singer did a good job on X Men cause he was a fan and I read that the only thing that could have taken him off the X Men would be a Superman movie.
I'm also glad it takes place after the first two movies, it will be more interesting than just getting another origin story. Everyone who sees this movie, Superman fan or not, knows his origin (I wonder if Pa Kent is still dead).
But yes, I'm excited for this!

statesofeuphoria
11-18-2005, 06:40 PM

Amen!
Tom Welling IS Superman. No ifs ands or buts. No one else will do. I won't see this at the theater.

Druss
11-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Tom Welling isn't Superman, to be honest the shoes that need to be filled are those of Reeve.

The guy they chose has the look and the body. I for one got chills watching the trailer, the only way it could have been better is they had used the original theme, which I heard they are using but probably going to wait to unveil that at the full trailer.

The thing everyone is missing is EVERYONE knows who Superman is. This isn't like X-Men where it was very popular in the Comics world but not outside of it, don't forget how many times Superman has been on the Cover of Time Magazine. This movie is almost guaranteed a 300M take and if its a quality movie it will Fly. And to boot its nothing like Batman whose previous franchise bombed and left a bad taste.

Obiwanjacoby
11-19-2005, 12:33 AM
I was weaned on B&W reruns of George Reeves.

Tore up many a red bathroom towel inspired by Hanna Barbera.:p

Stunned by Christopher Reeve.

Became "kitsch" comfortable with Dean Cain (brilliant chemistry with Teri Hatcher).

And Welling is one of the deepest character studies so far. . .

. . .of an icon that is bigger than the many actors who portrayed them.

So I think I --and when I say "I", I really mean we are emotionally able to handle another. ;)

-PJ

whitedalek
11-19-2005, 11:00 AM

I'm glad they didn't use the Smallville cast in the movie (too much 90210 in my opinion). The trailer gave me goosebumps, I can't wait!

Tanner, I agree with you. I would kill for an awesome JLA movie (JLA makes the X-Men look like girl scouts power-wise).

And for the record, DC blows Marvel out of the water! :p

danielmd06
11-19-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm glad they didn't use the Smallville cast in the movie (too much 90210 in my opinion). The trailer gave me goosebumps, I can't wait!

And for the record, DC blows Marvel out of the water!

I agree wholeheartedly on all counts.

My girlfriend watches the "Smallville" episodes religiously, so I've caught a few of them. They manage to bring up occasional good bits of storytelling, but on the whole I've personally found them to be far too mindless and "yuppie" to enjoy. I think the adjective "90210" brought up earlier is pretty apt.

DC versus Marvel on the movie scene? Superman (in 1978) and Batman (in 1989) have proven to be vastly superior to any other comic movies that have been cranked out to date. Granted the sequels for both were absolutely terrible. The two sole exceptions were Superman II, which barely managed to hold its own, and the recent Batman Begins, which is certainly on par with the 1978 and 1989 films and is arguably the best comic movie of them all.

Hulk, X-men, Hellboy, Spawn, etc - the films from Marvel (and others) have been overwhelmingly weak. Spiderman alone was a fairly decent film, but it is a far lesser movie than the three mentioned above.

A well-written story and good acting go a long way toward enhancing the believability of even the most outlandish stories.

I agree that the trailer looked good. The old score by John Williams and the voice-over by Marlon Brando were fabulous. We'll see if the new movie can deliver.

whitedalek
11-19-2005, 05:10 PM
I like the X-Men and Spider-Man movies. It would be nice to see some of the DC heroes get their due on the big screen besides the big two (Supes and Bats). The biggest bone I have with the X-Men movies was them replacing Kitty Pryde with Rogue (but I can live with it). When I talked about DC blowing Marvel out of the water, I meant comic-wise. I've always found DC to have better characters and better stories. Remember, Rob Leifeld started with Marvel (...shudder....). :D

Best comic movie ever? The original "Punisher" with Dolph Lundgren! Woo-hoo! :p

Taichiro
11-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Too much bias and blasphemy in this thread! :D

Batman Begins ruled!

DC For Life, Represent!

whitedalek
11-19-2005, 10:26 PM
DC For Life, Represent!

I hear ya, brother! Power to the people! :)

Until John Constantine starts buying Girl Scout Cookies, make mine DC!! :D

Taichiro
11-20-2005, 11:17 AM
and I agree, the Dolph Lundgren Punisher is quite the comic movie....

not in the 'adaptation' vein, but in the 'funny ha ha', 'I can't believe they thought this was a good idea' vein....

and Dolph's bare cheeks?, where else you gonna see that? :D

whitedalek
11-20-2005, 12:14 PM
and I agree, the Dolph Lundgren Punisher is quite the comic movie....

not in the 'adaptation' vein, but in the 'funny ha ha', 'I can't believe they thought this was a good idea' vein....

I actually prefer the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie to the one with John Travolta. I agree that it's really cheesy and such, but I felt that they did get the character of the Punisher right. He is a psychotic vigilante. The scene where he tells the kid to grow up to be a good man, or else he's gonna be there to kill him is awesome. That movie does contain one of my all-time favorite scenes: the one where all the yakuza assassins are training and the elevator doors open up and the Punisher and the mob guy just blow them all away with automatic weapons. I love that scene! "Ooohh....you ninja-wannabes are so cool! I'm glad you spent a lifetime practicing your martial arts! Eat 900 rounds a minute!" :p

yojoebro82
11-20-2005, 12:59 PM

I imagine that would be very exciting :rolleyes:

I think I'll have to watch that Punisher movie sometime. However, I doubt it can compare to Dolph's genius portrayal of He-Man :D

Taichiro
11-20-2005, 03:14 PM
it was a joke, yjb82....
anyway, yeah, the Dolph movie is better than the Tom Jane one, but then, that's not saying much....

it's not an X-Men or Spider-Man level film, but then, it never would've been, no matter HOW much money, they pumped into it.....the story of Frank Castle just don't lend itself to such.....

nonetheless, it IS the better of the two......I just like making fun of Dolph "Ahye Vill Blake Hyoo!" Lundgren....

LUNAR WOLF
11-24-2005, 02:14 PM
yup saw it after smallville,and to be honest i feel this movie will be a flop :(
it looks crapy

Deadman2099
11-24-2005, 06:09 PM
That trailer gave me chills... the actor's eyes and shape of his face remind me a lot of chris reeves. although, i'm pretty sure i saw a trailer that was different but probablly didn't show supes in it... a teaser of the teaser :P

anyway, i'm actually a fan of all the comic movies... no matter how horrible they are. ever see the JLA live action TV pilot.... oh my lord... or the 1994 fantastic four? wow... stinky... BUT as long as "hollywood" or whomever finds a bit of money in the comic characters, then i'm all for it. it just keeps getting these movies put on the screen. GO SUPES

also, batman begins wasn't just a good comic/superhero movie... it was a very good movie even if batman hadn't been featured in it that could have been anyone, some generic dogooder or any named character. spiderman and spiderman II (especially the fight on the train with doc ock) were awesome. heck, i even liked Howard the Duck, Punisher (1988 or 1989), and The Shadow! :P

maybe i just have far too much time on my hands... either way, KEEP THE COMIC MOVIES COMING, and maybe we'll finally get a nice, gritty GI JOE film :D or at least a Sgt. Rock film... that would umm ROCK :P

Deadman2099
11-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Actually Rob Liefeld started with DC i think, on Hawk and Dove if not even before that. i think we can all agree that he sucks though :P ripping off that cover of gi joe... cant think of the issue right now, but it's roadblock holding the machine gun... blatant ripoff "artist"

I like the X-Men and Spider-Man movies. It would be nice to see some of the DC heroes get their due on the big screen besides the big two (Supes and Bats). The biggest bone I have with the X-Men movies was them replacing Kitty Pryde with Rogue (but I can live with it). When I talked about DC blowing Marvel out of the water, I meant comic-wise. I've always found DC to have better characters and better stories. Remember, Rob Leifeld started with Marvel (...shudder....). :D

Best comic movie ever? The original "Punisher" with Dolph Lundgren! Woo-hoo! :p

whitedalek
11-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Actually Rob Liefeld started with DC i think, on Hawk and Dove if not even before that. i think we can all agree that he sucks though :P ripping off that cover of gi joe... cant think of the issue right now, but it's roadblock holding the machine gun... blatant ripoff "artist"
Did he really? I just remember him coming in and utterly destroying The New Mutants (one of my all time faves) and then turning it into X-Force (or X-crap as I like to call it). And why his chicken scratch drawing style got big for so long still amazes me (and he could never draw feet or ankles good).

Clutch II
11-25-2005, 12:03 PM
ok comic book artist Todd McFarlane

Comic Book Genius? Stan "the man" Lee

greatest super hero movie?in my opinion X-men all 3 were good

worst movie?hmmm so many to pick from,i'd have to say Dolph's Punisher(i actually liked the tom Jane one,not alot but liked)

best Superhero TV Show?Smallville (it actually has a story)

Worst Superhero TV Show?toss up between the Flash and Lois and Clark

CGC
11-25-2005, 02:12 PM
I'd say the best super hero TV series was The Tick. That was great!

"I Am Mighty!"

"Spoon!"

:D

But back to the topic, that trailer looks good, I'm looking forward to it.

ttfndude
11-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Anyone who does not see Smallville as a great turn in the superman universe isn't paying attention. You are seeing a show with a great story line and he is not truly "Superman" yet he is a teenager so there are going to be more gushy moments. But for those true to comics they drop little things in the script and the background for us guys. I really like this in fact we have a night of it every week where a crowd comes over and watches it. Anyways to the new movie it has potential but the main actor is questionable. In Batman Begins that's what threw me off was his face did not bring the Batman or Brucce Wayne feel to it. But the writing was decent and I think they have a good chance for a sequel. Superman is harder as we see great things in a hnadful of people as Batman is more of an everyman. You have to check out Black Scorpion if you like comic movies, wow decent movie and check out the car, awesome:eek: . Punisher needs to be made by someone who feels the inner turmoil of Frank, I thought both were a bit too cheesy and cheery though I like them both. X-Men's were great, I see a lot of potential there.

ttfndude

yojoebro82
11-29-2005, 04:46 PM
it was a joke, yjb82....

I know. I was trying to convey my sarcasim, hence the rolling eyes :rolleyes: