Question about Bridgelayer variant [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Question about Bridgelayer variant

gutstheberserker
11-28-2005, 02:33 PM
According to the archives, the Bridgelayer was first released as a Sears exclusive in 1984 and then released everywhere in 1985. Assuming you have a MISB version, is there anyway to tell if its the 1984 or 1985 version by looking on the box. I briefly scanned for a copyright date but didn't see one.

Robot Rabbit
11-28-2005, 03:43 PM
I think the Sears version was marked "Sears Exclusive" in the lower right corner. But then again I was 9 at the time so maybe not :)

RRL75
11-29-2005, 10:23 AM
From what I remember there was no difference in the packaging or copyright at all. The exclusivity was only that Sears had it in their holiday wishbook the fall/winter before everyone else got it in the spring/summer with the next year's line. I would assume that Hasbro produced it as they would for mass consumption and just warehoused them til they filled orders for everyone down the road. I'm also basing this on the fact that all of the rest of Sear's stuff had the white cardboard packaging vs the standard box. I doubt it would of been cost efficient to Hasbro to run a different box, but of course anything can happen. Good luck finding a quantity of Bridgelayer boxes to compare and contrast ;).

Howie

gutstheberserker
11-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info. I checked the 2 boxes I've got and on one of the side flaps both have a copyright of 1984. One I know came from sears because of a sears price tag. I know I've seen another with a slaughter 1986 offer. I wonder if the copyright dates change or if they all say 1984.

thunt4
11-30-2005, 05:29 PM
My guess as the only way you can tell if it is sears is to have the original packing slip that they would attach to the box when your order would arrive. The sticker is about 3inch by 5inch and white. You have to realize sears also sold items in the store so on those you would just have a normal price sticker but I am not sure if they sold the bridge layer in the store before anyone elses stores.