Chameleon variant?? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Chameleon variant??

toy-nutz
12-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey guys, I just got a mint in box Zartan and swamp skier. The chameleon is colored light tan/brown, not green. It is not sunfaded, everything is sealed in the bag, and the color is even all over so it does not look like it is faded. It is a first version "schizophrenic" filecard version. Anyone see one like this?

Comparison pic

http://photos.yojoe.com/showphoto.php?photo=1560&cat=500&ppuser=3826

Side view

http://photos.yojoe.com/showphoto.php?photo=1562&cat=500&ppuser=3826

Michael Richards
Bulletman Big B
All Hail DOB!!

CGC
12-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Looks to me like the material burned, & it slipped past the op & qc in the plant. I worked at an injection molding plant for 10 years, 8 of it as a superviser, & that looks like material that sat in the barrel too long. If the barrel temp was too high, it would be an uneven discoloration, but that is consistant, so it doesn't look like the temp was the problem. I would guess that 10 or 15 parts before & after this one were very similar. I doubt it would be considered a variant, probably an error.

It is possible that somebody poured in the wrong dye (tan instead of green), I can't rule it out, but it doesn't look that way.

NightViperOne
12-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Wow, that's um... different. You were smart to leave that bagged. It's not an international version is it? :confused:

-Jim

carnage717
12-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Could it be from the color changed plastic going bad after sitting for 20 years. I have several differint with varying shades from green to brown. Maybe this one was left where it got to hot and caused a reaction in the color changing material.

Brad

NightViperOne
12-07-2005, 01:49 PM
The Chameleon has color change, too? Oooo... didn't know that... gotta see if mine still works. The zartan's does.... must know if the skier does, too. :eek:

-Jim

toy-nutz
12-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I have a couple of different Chameleons and non have had anytype of fading. And since this one was solid and even all over, I just did not think it faded. Usually there are some lighter and darker spots. Oh and I was going to open it, but when I saw the color I decided against it.

Michael Richards
Bulletman Big B
All Hail DOB!!

NightViperOne
12-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Good call, 'mano!

-Jim

Mr. Crimson
12-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Agreed... Whether this is a varient or an error as mentioned above it is not the more widely available subject. Even if it is a factory error there are some cases with certain collectors where these are as valuable as varients if not more valuable.

-Lewis

thewyseone
12-11-2005, 03:41 PM
i got one that is the same color of brown as in the pic but it is not sealed.it isnt sun damage as the color is even top and bottom sides.:eek:

Short-Fuse
12-11-2005, 05:11 PM
I had one that turned that color. It was in storage in a box. I believe it has something to do with the type of plastic that was used, and it is caused by exposure to extreme temperatures. (not necessarily direct sun)

brain
12-14-2005, 11:55 PM
well i have both versons of the skier to

Net-Viper X
12-16-2005, 02:58 AM
The Chameleon has color change, too? Oooo... didn't know that... gotta see if mine still works. The zartan's does.... must know if the skier does, too. :eek:

-Jim

Just so you know, all the old Dreadnok vehicles with light green parts have color change. The swamp copter thing, and the 4 sears exclusive vehicles all have this feature.

thelatinsensation
09-14-2006, 01:03 AM
hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me out here, i recently received a zartan/chameleon, all sealed in original bags and bubble, which it appears in a usa box, but the actual color of the main body of the chameleon is not light green but brown, is this a variant? help me guys, i looked through yojoe archives but could not find a match

ftrdagon
09-14-2006, 10:50 AM
I have had a chameleon since I was a kid (one of the only things I had left from my original collection) and it changed to that shade of brown in storage I have also gotten a couple of other chameleons that are that color I think this is a pretty common thing to happen to the plastic

zap
09-16-2006, 08:12 PM
i think there is one on e-bay that is assembled that is this brown color. The box is included with the auction and it appears to be an original box.

rageseven
09-17-2006, 08:06 PM
I have one still sealed that is the brown/tan color. I agree that it is probably just the color change feature of the plastic. Most of these were probably stored in attics or outdoor storage building where they were exposed to high temps.