Spirit vs. Storm Shadow [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Spirit vs. Storm Shadow

Mr. Crimson
12-10-2005, 06:23 AM
I was watching my G.I. Joe DVD's today and I noticed that Spirit and Storm Shadow seem to have an on going rivalry. I was just wondering what happened between the two of them besides the fact that they are enemies. Because this seems to be more than the usual I am a G.I. Joe and you are a Cobra clash. Thanks,

-Lewis

Patrick A. Riley
12-10-2005, 11:14 AM
They just have respect for each other. I guess it's a cultural thing on both ends.
They always had close battles that ended in "draws"
Maybe Stormy sought after Spirit to battle again to prove he's better

Falcone
12-10-2005, 11:32 AM
once quick kick was created the spirit storm shadow thing pretty much ended:mad:

MikePrime
12-10-2005, 02:00 PM
I think it was a mutal respect between warriors.

Mr. Crimson
12-11-2005, 01:56 AM
once quick kick was created the spirit storm shadow thing pretty much ended:mad:

I have never noticed that before. I will have to pay closer attention to the episodes next time I watch them.

-Lewis

danielmd06
12-11-2005, 02:12 AM
You know, I think that there was actually an "incident" or other that supposedly happened in the pre-cartoon continuum that sparked a rivalry between them. Of course, I cannot remember the cartoon or dialogue where this occurs.

I always figured it was because Snake-Eyes couldn't speak, and the cartoon directors still wanted to include some type of mystical martial arts appeal of that nature - so they used Spirit.

Just my opinion.

Falcone
12-11-2005, 03:54 PM
they also had to work together to survive

Bleak5170
12-12-2005, 06:17 AM

Quick Kick (a movie stuntman for cying out loud), beating Storm Shadow in the cartoon was one of the lamest things i've ever seen. Actually, the entire Pyramids Of Darkness miniseries was lame.

Kir Kanos
12-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Quick Kick (a movie stuntman for cying out loud), beating Storm Shadow in the cartoon was one of the lamest things i've ever seen. Actually, the entire Pyramids Of Darkness miniseries was lame.

Yep, I have to agree. Don't get me wrong, I love the cartoons. Nothing takes me back to being a kid like watching my Rhino joe dvd's. I could accept Storm Shadow and Spirit's rivalry in the cartoon because they both view themselves as warriors. But they jumped the shark when Quick Kick is allowed to defeat Storm Shadow. And doesn't he usually say lines from movies while fighting? What a joke.

I heard somewhere that Larry Hama didn't like the idea of QK beating Stormy either, and had Stormy get his revenge in the comics.

Xerofall
12-12-2005, 10:53 AM

He got in one good kick... that's it. The rest of the time Quick Kick got his butt handed to him by Stormy... in the episode Excaliber Storm Shadow nearly broke Quick Kick's ankle.

Most of the other times Storm Shadow took out the Joes easily.

Bleak5170
12-12-2005, 02:06 PM
He got in one good kick... that's it. The rest of the time Quick Kick got his butt handed to him by Stormy... in the episode Excaliber Storm Shadow nearly broke Quick Kick's ankle.

Most of the other times Storm Shadow took out the Joes easily.

That's true. P.O.D. was in my head because i just watched it the other day. Perhaps i'm still bitter because i still can't believe how bad it was.

SplitNarcissist
12-12-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't consider the Quick Kick and Storm Shadow fight a loss for Storm Shadow. Cause one lucky kick does not over come the amount of hits Storm Shadow gave to Quick Kick.

I know irl if I saw some guy walk away with a broken nose, hand and eye socket compared to the guy laying on the ground with only bruises, I know I wouldn't consider the guy walking away the winner.

Just because you walk away or are standing doesn't mean you are the victor.

This I Command!
12-13-2005, 12:04 AM
I haven't watched the DVDs in a while but didn't Spirit do some cool like chanting deal with lightning behind him to fix SS's leg or something, I remember I thought that was so cool as a kid.

Mr. Crimson
12-13-2005, 02:09 AM

I agree Quick Kick defeating Storm Shadow was weak, but I did enjoy the Pyrameds of Darkness mini-series.

-Lewis

Mr. Crimson
12-13-2005, 02:11 AM
That's true. P.O.D. was in my head because i just watched it the other day. Perhaps i'm still bitter because i still can't believe how bad it was.

I guess I am the only one that enjoyed the Pyramids of Darkness mini-series.

-Lewis

Bleak5170
12-13-2005, 06:53 AM
I guess I am the only one that enjoyed the Pyramids of Darkness mini-series.

-Lewis

I had potential but there were some MAJOR flaws.

#1 The Fatal Fluffies? Now that was just ludicrous.
#2 Shipwreck and Snake Eyes in a burlesque show? Even worse.
#3 The two mentioned above plus Polly and Timber dressing up and singing and dancing in the street. This is quite possible worse than anything seen in G.I. Joe: The Movie. I swear my jaw hit the floor when i saw that.

thing73vw
12-13-2005, 04:53 PM
P.O.D. sucked. How we went from the Revenge of Cobra to that... I do not know. But then again, nothing compares to R.O.C.

brianiac5
07-22-2021, 11:52 AM

I'm not a fan of Quick Kick (a guy running around barefoot and shirtless didn't make sense, even in the cheesy cartoon), but he's one of the few Joes whose hand to hand fighting skill was at a level where taking on someone like Storm Shadow or Snake Eyes made sense. His file card read: "He is a ranking black belt in Tae Kwan Do, Go Ju Ryu, Southern Praying Mantis Kung-Fu, Tai-Chi Sword, Zen Sword, and Wing-Chun." He was only working as a stunt at the time the Joes recruited him, it wasn't his primary job. He's essentially the Joe version of a Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan character.

On the other hand, I am a fan of Spirit, and while I liked the rivalry and character development, I thought him being able to go toe to toe with Storm Shadow was a bit unrealistic, even when I was a kid.

But I've always taken the cartoon with a grain of salt. Everyone was an acrobat, could expertly drive any vehicle, and could beat anyone else if necessary for the scene, no matter their relative skills.