View Full Version : Do you have dumb local laws?

dockingbay97
12-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Do you have dumb local laws? I know we have all heard of some in different places in the country but do you have any where you specifically live?

Seattle has a couple.

It is against the law to carry a concealed weapon greater than six feet in length. I ask you how this makes sense. How are you going to conceal a 6'+ weapon on your person?

In King County, in Seattle, it is illegal to sit on a man's lap on a metro bus, unless you are married. Otherwise you need a pillow between them.

In Seattle lollipops are banned but I don't think this is enforced.

In WA state there is a law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town".

In Everett it is illegal to display a hypnotized or allegedly hypnotized person in a store window.

starrcommand
12-21-2005, 07:04 PM
In baltimore it is illegal to carry an egg along a city block.

In maryland it is illegal to kiss for longer than 5 seconds.

In maryland Oral sex is illegal.

In maryland it is illegal to have your mule kick dirt into someones face.

The Faceless Master
12-21-2005, 07:20 PM
not local, but i read this law somewhere in Louisianna or New Orleans
i believe

It is illegal to sit on the curb while drinking beer or any form
of liquor out of a bucket - what the??

Shogi
12-21-2005, 07:26 PM
in my hometown of Tallahassee, FL it's illegal to shower naked

danielmd06
12-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Up until about 1996 it was still legal to own slaves in Mississippi.

Falcone
12-21-2005, 08:11 PM
in my hometown of Tallahassee, FL it's illegal to shower naked

what!?

i always love these. there are some web sites with hundreds of these.

CGC
12-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Around here, we have this dumb "55 MPH" thing... :rolleyes:

I tell ya!

GBPackRat
12-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah...we've got some here in the Mad Town...

Got this thing call "winter parking".

From Nov. thru March, at 2am in the morning, you cars gotta be either on the even side of the street or odd side of the street based on if the dates an even or odd number...

Something about how its suppose to help control snow removal for the plows.

We had a hot streak this last year and still were hitting in the 50's and 60's in Nov. this year and yet $10 parking violation tickets were being handed out like concert flyers...

No chance for snow weeks on end, yet this stupid law continues to be enforced year after year. You'd think they'd turn a blind eye until we actually have snow ON THE GROUND.

But you know, gotta have city fundraisers every now and then...

Tanner

GBPackRat
12-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Oh also in Wisconsin its illegal to:

spit on the sidewalk... Guess the street, crub and grass area's ok;

play checkers in public in some cities... man how barbaric;

get served a slice of pie without a slab of cheese with it.... mmmmm, apple pie and a slab of swiss cheese. For the record, I've never been served the cheese owed me. I should start reporting it soon.

Anyways, we've got plenty others, but those were the ones I knew off the top of my head.

Tanner

Mr. Crimson
12-21-2005, 11:39 PM
not local, but i read this law somewhere in Louisianna or New Orleans
i believe

It is illegal to sit on the curb while drinking beer or any form
of liquor out of a bucket - what the??

That is also a law in Memphis.

In Ashland MS. there is a $500 fine if music playing inside your car can be heard outside you car.

In Memphis it is against the law to honk your horn within a mile of any church on Sunday. (BL)

In Ripley it is against the law to mow your yard on Sunday, but this is not enforced. (BL)

-Lewis

sinnister
12-22-2005, 08:20 AM
It's illegal for cats and dogs to fight in North Carolina

Short-Fuse
12-22-2005, 08:47 AM
It's illegal to carry wirecutters in your saddlebags.........if you happen to be riding a horse. (and NO not everyone in Texas owns a horse):)

statesofeuphoria
12-22-2005, 09:34 AM
It's illegal to tie an alligator to a lamp post around here...
or beat your wife with a stick larger than the width of your thumb , smaller is OK.

orionlukteel
12-22-2005, 09:56 AM
In Las Vegas, Nevada: It's against the law to pawn
your dentures.

Crap - there goes my Christmas money.:D

Xerofall
12-22-2005, 02:24 PM
This isn't really a law... but here in Utah Saturday Night Live (SNL) is banned from being shown.

The mormon church owns the NBC affiliate and they don't like the show, so they don't air it.

The Real Destro
12-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Can't remember the city in Michigan but all men are required to have a beard. If you don't want your face coverd you can apply for a no beard permit and they are good for one year.

bluebikerboy1
12-23-2005, 02:15 PM
theres this dumb law over here that says you have to wear pants or shorts in public. and they inforce it. so what if im a little tipsy and walk outside with none on. everyone does it right?

roboticplanet
12-23-2005, 09:01 PM
found a little site that brings this all together: www.dumblaws.com

There's a scary little Dutch town (think David Lynch scary) nearby called Lynden where "Dancing and drinking may not occur at the same establishment." I can't imagine one without the other...

and for greater Washington:

No person may walk about in public if he or she has the common cold.
X-rays may not be used to fit shoes.
People may not buy a mattress on Sunday.

dockingbay, you forgot an important Seattle one:
No one may set fire to another person's property without prior permission. So, can I?

Deadshot
12-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Only dumb law that I can think of for Stratford is that anyone who is being banned from the city is to recieve a horse and a shotgun..

my question is... if they got themselves forcably removed from town.. would you really want to give that person a gun?

danielmd06
12-23-2005, 10:03 PM
X-rays (http://www.X-rays) may not be used to fit shoes.

Wow, good call.

Believe it or not, about forty years ago this was regularly done in some cities. You would wave your foot around underneath a pane of material about a foot off the ground and x-rays would get shot through your foot. An image would instantly show through and you could see how well the shoe fit on your foot. It goes without saying that kids would wave their hands (and whatever else they could get) under the pane.

I know I would have.

Deogg
12-25-2005, 01:59 PM
-In Ohio it is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday. So much for that fishing trip today!
-Speaking of fish, it is illegal to get fish drunk
-No one may be arrested on Sunday or the Fourth of July (oh man, the havoc I could wreak with THAT piece of info lol)

Pete The Greek
12-26-2005, 02:20 AM
Toronto

"It is illegal to drag a dead horse down Yonge Street on a Sunday."

In other words, I can drag a dead horse from Mon to Sat. These moronic laws passed over a hundred years ago need to be removed.