View Full Version : RESPECT in sports :)

bigklop
01-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Just wondering if I'm the only one who's getting tired of sports teams playing the 'respect' card?? I.E. "nobody thought we could win, we didn't get any respect, we were disrespected by the media". I bring this up because I've been watching my daily New England sports channel news in the morning and of course the focus has been the Jags and Patriots game this weekend. And basically every morning it's a half hour of each team talking about how the other team has been disrespecting them, we don't get any respect, the media disrespects us, etc. Then when a player is asked about how they feel about the other team, the answer is always the same "they've won 3 of the last 4 super bowls, you have to respect that" or "they won 12 games this year, you have to respect that" :)

Anyone else notice the respect card getting tossed around alot in sports these days?

Also when I hear it all I can picture is that old Adam Sandler album, I think it was "they're all gonna laugh at you" were the old guys are talking about the grandson getting respected at school, and by the end of the skit they're all chanting "RESPECT, RESPECT, RESPECT".

Thats how I pictures the pro sports locker room these days :)

GBPackRat
01-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Sorry dude, but I just don't feel like I get enough respect around here to discuss such matters.

I work hard at my posts and no one ever gives me the respect I deserve...

Sigh, its a hard life growning up in the upper middle class, then going on to a Big Ten college to get a 4 year degree...

Tanner

whitedalek
01-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Sorry dude, but I just don't feel like I get enough respect around here to discuss such matters.

I work hard at my posts and no one ever gives me the respect I deserve...

Sigh, its a hard life growning up in the upper middle class, then going on to a Big Ten college to get a 4 year degree...

Tanner

To make you feel better, Tanner....PROPS TO YA! :D

bigklop
01-05-2006, 01:17 PM
hey quit disrespecting my thread!!!!

I've got nothing but RESPECT for the upper middle class.....

tank1976
01-05-2006, 02:12 PM
R E S P E C T!!

Everybody sing along:p

FireFox91
01-05-2006, 06:41 PM
I guess just toss that one in the sports cliche bin with the others like "give it a 110%" and "play 60 mins of <insert sport name>." Honestly, it doesn't bother me that much. If you talk about the same thing over and over so much that eventually you run out of original material and have to start rehashing the old stuff.

You gotta respect my opinion. :P

danyanda
01-05-2006, 06:50 PM
I have to agree with Firefox. As a (former) athlete I feel the disrespect card is kind of like a motivational tool. The mindset that no one thinks you can accomplish something gives you impetus to prove them wrong. Now going out to a news conference and saying that is a little bogus, but the thinking makes perfect sense to me.