Question for eBay store sellers [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Question for eBay store sellers

NewOrder
01-21-2006, 07:52 PM
For those that have an eBay store, how long do you typically sit on an item before it sells/someone makes you an offer? Do you get enough views/hits/sales to warrant maintaining the store? Also, are there any shortcomings to operating a store (of any sort)?

Thanks.

bluebikerboy1
01-21-2006, 08:26 PM
this might help
http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=28275&highlight=worth+ebay+store :)

NewOrder
01-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the link (I remember reading it a while ago). As that is roughly 4 months old or so, does anyone have any current information to add? Has there been any noticeable changes in selling trends (upward or downward spirals)?

carnage717
01-21-2006, 09:41 PM
I posted in the previous thread so I guess Ill chime in here as well. I've actually been selling more in the past few months than than I did say 5 or 6 months ago. I do know they made it easier to look and search for items in stores. For the last few months I have been selling upwards of $1000 worth. If you know what your doing and look for good large lot items that you can buy for cheap, its very easy to turn a decent profit. Like I mentioned in the other post I mostly buy large lots with pieces I need for my personal collection and then sell of the rest to help pay for more stuff I need for my collection.

Brad

82to87Joes
01-21-2006, 11:36 PM
i opened a store after seeing that post and it has been the smartest thing i have done on ebay. it so much better then listing stuff and paying all the fees and then having them sell for 1 or 2 dollars

i put stuff on my site a somewhat higher prices but i generally (expect in a few cases) look to see what the going rate is and use that to determine what i price items at. also i have been posting stuff for other people i know which is cool because i get a good cut of what they sell (typically 20%)

anyways i sell items from my store just about every day and really right now i dont have a whole lot on there. i dont have any accessories and i sold all my vehicles. as carnage mentions buying large lots and piecing them out is where its at money wise. i too have been selling over $1000 a month now since i opened my store (got power seller status too!) as soon as time permits im going to be listing my entire collection. it has been so successful for me i have no reason not to take advantage of it.

I get about 100-200 unique visitors a day to my store and to give you an example of how well the store works for me about a week ago i listed a TTBP i had 100% complete with box. wasnt sure how much to sell it for (made a post here about it actually) and eventually after doing some research decided to list it on the high side with a best offer option. well it sat there for a week not getting very many hits and then i discovered it wasnt showing up in ebay searches or in my store inventory for some reason. i canceled the auction and immediately relisted it. it then sold less then 4 hrs later for $125!

anyways there are some things that will sit in the store forever and no one seems interested. i got a couple figures like that right now for the life of my i cant figure why no one wants them, i just the other day RAISED there price thinking maybe because i had the price low originally people thought they were no good. anyways well see how well that works. the thing is its only $0.02 a MONTH to list something. if it doesnt sell its no big deal. 100 items a month is only $2.00 (plus the ebay store fee of course which is i think $15)

anyways give it a try, ebay was offering the first month free, you should take advantage of that if they still are

NewOrder
01-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks all!!!

I just opened an eBay store. I'm still having some difficultly (stuff not showing up right away), but I'll check on that tomorrow. Now I need to take more pictures and organize everything I have in my apartment and then everything I have stored at my parent's home. So much to sell, not enough time.

Hopefully the money comes rolling in like honey over a sexy body.

vettfanatic
01-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks all!!!

I just opened an eBay store. I'm still having some difficultly (stuff not showing up right away), but I'll check on that tomorrow. Now I need to take more pictures and organize everything I have in my apartment and then everything I have stored at my parent's home. So much to sell, not enough time.

Hopefully the money comes rolling in like honey over a sexy body.

Hi NewOrder. Are you going to be listing any AFA figures in your store? If you are let me know what you got and maybe we can work something out before you list them. It'll save you some of those selling fees.

Jeff

thunt4
01-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Since I started that other thread I thought I would chime in. My store has been the best thing I have done. I have been selling things pretty steady. I am the same as the above poster. I buy lots to upgrade then sell off when I don't need and this is a good way to do it. The key with a store it this in my opinion. WHen I would auction items I would list maybe 20 but with a store I have 100 in there and if someone buys something chances are they will buy a few things to save on shipping. My advice from what I have learned is get a variety of items so if someone searches for a specific thing then they can find your store. Get some items you don't see everyday that people search for on a regular basis. Also post up a link to your store so we can check it out. Oh ya it does take a little bit of time to add items to your store the first time but after that its fast. Hope this helps and if you have any questions pm me.

gutstheberserker
01-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi NewOrder. Are you going to be listing any AFA figures in your store? If you are let me know what you got and maybe we can work something out before you list them. It'll save you some of those selling fees.

Jeff

Yeah, especially if you are planning on listing certain vehicles. :D

bluebikerboy1
01-22-2006, 02:46 PM
ive got my little store up an dits not ebay. it sells fine. ive had a few good hits and i like it cause i dont have to pay the fees and the 15 a month rent.

NewOrder
01-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey all and thanks again for the info!

I was actually surprised to see that thunt4 sold an Accessory Pack #5 Explosion Back (AFA 85) for something like $180! (I remember selling that to thunt4 for something like $5!) I have so much stuff that I've just ignored for the past 2-3 years, thinking most of it was junk (like the accessory packs). Even worse, I've seen a Vehicle Gear Pack (the one with missiles and other crap) sell for $60 +/- with an AFA 80 grade! Christ, I have something like 20 of those, 2 of which are surely 85s or 90s.

I need to rearrange my perspective. I'll have to go to my parents' home to take pictures of whatever I have there. And from there, the slow and daunting task of cropping and listing the crap. Oh well, consistency wins the race--and the dissertation.

I have mostly AFA 85s, some 80s and some 90s. I wish I hadn't sold off so much stuff years ago.

Oh, yes, here's my new ebay store: City of Dreadful Delight (http://stores.ebay.com/City-of-Dreadful-Delight/City-of-Dreadful-Delights.html).

bigjohnwoo
01-22-2006, 07:48 PM

Jeff

Yeah, especially if you are planning on listing certain vehicles. :D

Add me to this list of interested first-notice parties as well. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on your inventory.

NewOrder
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Again, thank you everyone for your input.

I have one more question: when you sell loose items, how do you ship out the figure(s)? In a padded envelope? Do you use delivery confirmation? Also, how much does it cost to send a figure out--around $1.50?

Since several of you were interested in whatever I may/may not still have, this is what I remember having before the academic year began (anything without a grade is still at AFA):

1982 MMS AFA 75 (75,85,90)
1983 Airborne 20 back AFA
1983 Major Blood 20 back AFA 80 (80,85,85)
1983 Tripwire 20 back AFA 80 (80,80,85)
1984 Spirit 32 back AFA 80 (80,85,80)
1986 Beach Head AFA 85 (80,85,90)
1986 Vipers AFA 85 (85,85,85)
1986 Zarana AFA 85 (80,85,85)
1988 Road Pig (NO) AFA 85 (85,85,90)
1989 Gnawgahyde (NO) AFA 85 (85,85,85)

Conspicuously absent, of course, are my vehicles and other like items. Oh yes, *(NO)* means that the card has no offer on it (e.g., Fridge offer).

City of Dreadful Delight (http://stores.ebay.com/City-of-Dreadful-Delight/City-of-Dreadful-Delights.html)

vettfanatic
01-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Again, thank you everyone for your input.

I have one more question: when you sell loose items, how do you ship out the figure(s)? In a padded envelope? Do you use delivery confirmation? Also, how much does it cost to send a figure out--around $1.50?

Since several of you were interested in whatever I may/may not still have, this is what I remember having before the academic year began (anything without a grade is still at AFA):

1982 MMS AFA 75 (75,85,90)
1983 Airborne 20 back AFA
1983 Major Blood 20 back AFA 80 (80,85,85)
1983 Tripwire 20 back AFA 80 (80,80,85)
1984 Spirit 32 back AFA 80 (80,85,80)
1986 Beach Head AFA 85 (80,85,90)
1986 Vipers AFA 85 (85,85,85)
1986 Zarana AFA 85 (80,85,85)
1988 Road Pig (NO) AFA 85 (85,85,90)
1989 Gnawgahyde (NO) AFA 85 (85,85,85)

Conspicuously absent, of course, are my vehicles and other like items. Oh yes, *(NO)* means that the card has no offer on it (e.g., Fridge offer).

City of Dreadful Delight (http://stores.ebay.com/City-of-Dreadful-Delight/City-of-Dreadful-Delights.html)

I want the Airborne and the Major Bludd. PM on its way about these two.