Hand-painted detailing -- even on Sigma 6! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Hand-painted detailing -- even on Sigma 6!

GI Trekker
02-12-2006, 04:58 PM
It's been rather discouraging to me for some time to see otherwise nicely made 3-3/4" G.I.Joe figures in recent years saddled with hand-painted details done at the factory. I'm not talking about any sort of precision work here. I'm talking about dipping a brush into a jar of paint and slapping it across a glove, or a boot, or trying to stay within the lines of a strap on a leg or an arm, and moving on to the next one as quickly as you can.

The end result is inevitably sloppy. I don't care how talented someone is, it's simply not possible to hand-paint the same detail on an action figure thousands of times over, in the narrow window of production time given these figures, and expect decent results. Invariably the paint doesn't stay "within the lines". Often it's such a thick glob that it obscures the sculpted details.

It's perhaps not surprising that 3-3/4" Joes get this sort of treatment. Their production numbers are a bare fraction of what they used to be. It's sickening, but not surprising.

But I WAS surprised when I recently picked up the Sigma Six Heavy Duty figure, to discover that HE had hand-painted details -- specifically the pads on his shoulders. And they weren't painted very well, either.

I don't expect Hasbro to really care. They still see toys as being for kids, and don't expect that the kids will care, and they probably won't. I'm just making an observation here. In a time when the action figure world as a whole is hurting to begin with, it's that much more of a shame when the companies and the factories they contract with aren't prepared to treat their own product with a decent measure of respect and regard.

SharpShot
02-12-2006, 07:57 PM
If I was to pay $15 for a figure, I would want a good paint job.

You're right though, it doesn't say much when Corps figures have better paint detailing than Joes.

DreamTripper
02-12-2006, 11:03 PM
I've seen figures painted by first time customizers that have better paint jobs than a lot of mass produced figures...

GI Trekker
02-12-2006, 11:12 PM
I've seen figures painted by first time customizers that have better paint jobs than a lot of mass produced figures...
Thing of it is, even first time customizers only have to paint ONE figure. With something like this, even if it's a short run, there's still likely to be THOUSANDS. I don't care if you're one part Rembrandt, one part DaVinci, and one part Picasso, there's no way that these are all going to turn out well.

From what I understand, it's not even Hasbro's fault entirely. The factories in China want to get through short-run jobs as quickly and inexpensively as possible, so they basically flat out refuse to tool new paint masks if they don't already exist. That explains (even if it doesn't excuse) some of the sloppy work on the 3-3/4" Joes.

But it doesn't excuse Sigma Six, which is a brand new toy line. And regardless of whether one likes the toys or not (I'm sort of warming up to them, although not at the expense of keeping 3-3/4" traditional-style Joes in their well-earned #1 spot), this means if nothing else that ALL paint masks must be made new. And they left out something as basic as Heavy Duty's shoulder pads!? Heck, look at the EYES of any Sigma Six figure. That's at least four spray ops right there!

Unfortunately, hand-painted details are not exclusive to G.I.Joe. I've seen them on Star Wars, I've even seen them on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, in the store. I think I even saw them on one Transformers Alternator. And regardless of where it turns up, it looks cheap, it looks sloppy, and it bugs the heck out of me.

And SharpShot, you're right. For $15.00 (and presumably a healthy production run), they shouldn't be doing this.

Net-Viper X
02-13-2006, 09:26 PM
What kind of paint do they use I wonder?? I have never in all my years of customizing and experimenting, found a paint type that even comes close to the durablity of this factory paint. Im pretty sure that the Spray apps with the paint mask are slightly baked during the paint prcess to bond better, but this would be much less reasonable on hand painted item since you would have to remove it from the assembly line to paint it, then replace it for baking. As each coat of paint on each figure would be of varying thickness due to being hand applied, and so wouldnt work as well on a assembly line baking system set up to bake a specific thickness of paint coating for a specific amount of time, some would get baked too long, some would come out still half moist, depending on how much paint was slathered on the part to start with.