Sigma 6 2.5 [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Sigma 6 2.5

Sawyer
02-13-2006, 01:21 AM
I haven't bought any of the Sigma 6 six-inch figures, (or whatever size they are) but this 2.5 like looks pretty damn cool and I will definitley be picking these up. The figures and vehicles look great so far. If Hasbro had done this with the relaunch of Joe to begin with, maybe they wouldn't have cancelled the line so quickly (as far as mass-market retail goes.)

Anyway, take care everybody.
-Sawyer

GI Steevy
02-13-2006, 01:45 AM
While I always encourage optimism and open mindedness, I'd hardly call a 5 year run (2 retro, 3 new sculpt) a short line.

Sawyer
02-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Obviously "successful" is all relative. The "new-scultp" 3.75 G.I. Joe line is and was a bust, IMO. It failed to capture little, if any, interest among today's youth, and left long-time collector's divided. The line was pulled from mass-market retail stores for a reason. Compared to the original Joe line of the 80's and early 90's, (or any major toyline from the 80's for that matter), then you are still left with the label of "bust" for this "new-sculpt" line. I don't even have to mention the Star Wars line's, from either Kenner or Hasbro.

But like I said, "succesful" is all relative to what you're comparing the line to. It certainly performed better than the ID4 figures released in the 90's, but really, is that anything to brag about?

I'm a fan of G.I. Joe period, and I really don't wish any bad things on any aspect of the lines (ARAH, New-Sculpt, S6, etc...), it's just my personal opinion that the re-launch of Joe has been less than spectacular thus far. And I think (hope) that the 2.5 line will perform much better than anything else we've received since the re-launch began.

Peace,
-Sawyer

Dreadnok4life
02-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I personally don't consider the new sculpts to be a bust. I enjoyed them. Of course comparing them to the ARAH days would certainly give the appearance that the new sculpts were failures. But I consider the differences of the times. The 1980's were perfect for toy companys. There were so many hot toys that were matched with consumers that wanted to buy them. GI Joe, Transformers, Go Bots, He-man, Care Bears, Cabbage Patch Kids, etc.. It was a boom time.

Now kids grow up faster. They are into dying their hair and getting girlfriends at 11 years old. The toy buying age has shrunk. Kids used to be into toys up to 12 or 13. That doesn't happen much anymore. They are more concerned about other things. And then there is the Internet, Play Station II, IPODS, clothes and everything else into the mix. Even the music industry has taken a hit compared to it's heyday in the 1980s.

I personally don't think the toy industry will ever match the glory years of the 1980s, regardless of the product. So comparing the success of a toy line should be different now.

With that said I will check out the 2.5" line. But as of right now I'm not too interested in them. From what I understand they have very limited, if any, articulation. Which, if true, makes the line unattractive to me.

Magna Prime
02-13-2006, 03:45 PM
I think Dreadnok4life hit some very good points. As much as I love computers, video games, the internet, etc., it's seriously changing how many of today's children are growing up. Whether that's good or bad isn't really for me to decide, especially where I don't have children of my own yet. But the appeal of action figures and similar toys just isn't as strong as it used to be, and the age-range of those interested in them has changed quite a bit.

With that said, I think the vehicles in the 2.5 line look outstanding, but I likely won't be buying them as I have very little room for more vehicles, especially ones not on the same scale as the Joes that I collect.

Sawyer
02-13-2006, 04:33 PM
I personally don't consider the new sculpts to be a bust. I enjoyed them. Of course comparing them to the ARAH days would certainly give the appearance that the new sculpts were failures. But I consider the differences of the times. The 1980's were perfect for toy companys. There were so many hot toys that were matched with consumers that wanted to buy them. GI Joe, Transformers, Go Bots, He-man, Care Bears, Cabbage Patch Kids, etc.. It was a boom time.

Now kids grow up faster. They are into dying their hair and getting girlfriends at 11 years old. The toy buying age has shrunk. Kids used to be into toys up to 12 or 13. That doesn't happen much anymore. They are more concerned about other things. And then there is the Internet, Play Station II, IPODS, clothes and everything else into the mix. Even the music industry has taken a hit compared to it's heyday in the 1980s.

I personally don't think the toy industry will ever match the glory years of the 1980s, regardless of the product. So comparing the success of a toy line should be different now.

With that said I will check out the 2.5" line. But as of right now I'm not too interested in them. From what I understand they have very limited, if any, articulation. Which, if true, makes the line unattractive to me.

You guys make some valid points, and "bust" may have been a little harsh, but it's not far from the mark. And in my original post, I said "bust" as far as mass-market goes. I'm not referring in terms of quality, but in over-all sales and public appeal. G.I. Joe is still a niche line, and the re-launch was supposed to make Joe relative again. Even compared to today's lines of Marvel Legends, Transformers, Power Rangers, and the countless lines based on Japanese anime, Joe's latest run has been less than stellar. We can play semantics with the term "bust" all day long, but this relaunch didn't do what we fans, or Hasbro, wanted it to do.

I'm hoping Sigma 6 2.5 will make a difference. It's got the cartoon to back it up and make the characters "real" to a new market, and it seems to have some inspiration going for it. I mostly collect older Joe stuff, and have never touched any of the S6 stuff. In fact, I haven't even watched a single episode of the new cartoon yet. But this new line has me excited. For some uncanny (lame maybe? lol) reason, I have a good eye for things that are gonna be big. And my gut is giving me that feel for this 2.5 line. I hope I'm right.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. Peace out everybody,
-Sawyer