Thinking of buying Sigma 6... [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Thinking of buying Sigma 6...

Shimaneboy
02-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying some Sigma 6 figures. Even though they're not "my GI Joe," I find myself liking them more and more each time I look at them in the store. Tunnel Rat especially looks cool to me, as does Cobra Commander. I don't have a ton of funds right now so I initially only want to pick up a starter figure, so to speak. My question is: which Sigma 6 figure should I start with? Or more accurately, which figure got some of you into Sigma 6 who weren't into it initially?

Thanks ahead of time for all of your time and suggestions!

statesofeuphoria
02-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Snake Eyes was my first and I was hooked after that. I have them all and to my surprise Duke is probably the best overall in features and play value in my opinion.
Here's my list of factors:
Coolness-Snake Eyes (uzi, swords, interchangeable visors...winner!)
Features-Duke-switchfire system is cool. lots of combos.
Accessories-Storm Shadow-the sword stand does it for me.
Best basic figure-Kamakura/Tunnel Rat (both equally cool IMO).

Cobra Commander and Long Range are near the top of the coolness list, but thier accessories lack IMO. Long range's rifle is just too darn big and CC's shield is pretty useless.
The Ninja Battles 2 pack is great as well. you get SE, SS most of thier gear and a dvd for 20$ I even prefer this version of Storm Shadow over the 15$ version.

Hope I gave you some food for thought. Each figure has merits, but for a first purchase I would go for one of the more iconic characters.

Jon_Boy
02-21-2006, 07:19 AM
I agree with the Snake Eyes comment. He is definately the coolest. I just got the Ninja Armor version last week and he is the coolest one so far.

Viper Commander
02-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Definitely Ninja Armor Snake Eyes Or CC.

Shimaneboy
02-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the awesome suggestions, guys! :)

I do indeed like the character of Snake Eyes and I agree that the Ninja Armor Snake Eyes looks pretty sweet. I might just have to go with him first. Although that DVD set sounds nice. I also agree that Storm Shadow's weapons look pretty awesome. I just wish he came with some sort of bow and arrow set. I'm looking forward to see what they do with Zartan as he is one of my favorite characters.

Thanks again!

YELSEW
02-21-2006, 06:44 PM
I like the figures, but I just do not have room for them. With my ever growing, 3 3/4" collection I do not have space for everything. The same goes for the smaller scale stuff. I like it a lot, but do I really want to make an addition for this or do I want to army build/complete my collection? I will have to go for the later.

irishcop21
02-21-2006, 07:47 PM
After calling them Sigma sucks last year, I laid aside my pride and bought the NINJA BAT for my son. He uses it as a "mech" for his overkill troops. After looking it over, i kind of liked it myself. Now, just earning the money and clearing space for them...

Dreadnok4life
02-21-2006, 08:53 PM
I bought the first version Snake Eyes. He's pretty cool. I also have Storm Shadow, Kamakura and Tunnel Rat. They are all pretty well done.

yojoebro82
02-21-2006, 09:18 PM
I too was thinking about getting one (and only one) Sigma 6 figure a while back and started a thread much like this. I hadn't bought a new Joe in quite a while and I was getting desperate. But now wave 3 has finally arrived and I don't even have the $$$ to get the two items I want from THAT wave.

Little Dragon
02-21-2006, 11:08 PM
I am a total 3 and 3/4 guy, now with that said I bought my kids some Sigma 6 figures and they were awesome, the accessories are cool and the articulation rocks, the only thing I do not like is the cloth clothing. So I went out and bought the SE and SS commando versions then for Christmas my wife and boys got me Heavy Duty, Duke and Spirit. I like them alot its just hard to shell out that 15.00 ever time. I've been debating buying the rest.
Joe

GI Trekker
02-21-2006, 11:55 PM
I, too, have softened my previous hard line against Sigma 6 after realizing that it just wasn't fair to compare them, toy-wise, to their 3-3/4" counterparts. While Sigma Six will NEVER match the Real American Hero, that doesn't mean they're not cool toys.

(Besides, if I'm going to be upset about anything in the hobby, it's going to be directed towards increasingly sloppy paint jobs on 3-3/4" figures and the increasing emphasis on newsculpt figyres, which CAN be compared to the originals, and in my opinion, not very well.)

Anyway, if you want to start with one of the lower-priced figures, I personally recommend SEA OPS DUKE. Yes, the Snake-Eyes figure is cool, but if you want to start off with one for analysis sake, this is the one I would suggest. It's the one that I picked up first.

You're getting a major character, with a good basic structure, and a generous enough supply of accessories to see the work that's really being put into these. I was impressed almost despite myself, and have since picked up several others as funds have allowed.

The Real American Hero will always be #1, but I guess that doesn't mean I can't make room for other cool Joes.

Shimaneboy
02-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Thanks again guys for all your comments.

Ya know, it's funny. Whenever I go to Walmart, KBs, or TRU I go to the GI Joe section and instinctively look for 3 and 3/4" joes. Going in I know they won't be there but I still hope. I'm sure you all know the feeling. Well, I get there and I see Sigma 6. I look at them and I begin to really think they are some pretty sweet figures. Then I get the feeling that I want to buy them. But so far I have been able to leave the store without purchasing one. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I'm not sure I want to start collecting these money-wise. If I had the money, I would be all over them. I think they look great. I know I want to buy one, but then I'm sure I'll want the rest.

On a side note, from what I can tell from the packages and pics I've seen, the Dukes seem to have the most normal sized waist and Storm Shadow seems to have the thinnest waist. What do you guys think?

I think it's only a matter of time now before I get one. And that, of course, will probably lead to me getting the rest...

Shimaneboy
02-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Oh yeah! Where are Sigma 6 the cheapest? I'm thinking Walmart? Can you guys confirm?

Thanks!

statesofeuphoria
02-22-2006, 06:29 AM
They are all pretty much the same across the board on the deluxe guys.Wal Mart has the deluxe figures for like 14.86 (a few cents cheaper) than 14.99 everywhere else.TRU has the basics for $9.99 compared to $11.99 at both Target and Wal Mart.

GI Trekker
02-22-2006, 08:21 AM
I think it's fairer to say that Duke has the most even proportions. Most of the figures are fairly narrow-waisted, even Heavy Duty.

As for price, the only thing I can recommend here is to avoid K*B Toy and places that don't emphasize their toy departments that much, like pharmacies. Yes, even pharmacies have some Sigma Six in.

Try to get your figures at Toys "R" Us, Target, or Wal-Mart. They're all pretty close in price range, and the most reasonable.

(And if you can, I'd avoid Wal-Mart. There's reason to believe that it was their refusal to carry ANY 3-3/4" G.I.Joe product -- lest their sales of The Corps be damaged -- that caused the departure of the Real American Hero from ALL "brick and mortar" retailers. I don't generally have a problem with Wal-Mart on most matters, but they have too much power in the toy world.)

orionlukteel
02-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Well, we've managed to track down all but the original Duke, and I have to say that my favorite, hands down, is CObra Commander.

With the incredible array of accessories and the battle damage feature that takes us back to the Masters of the Universe line, I'm half tempted to army build him. :D He's my son's favorite figure, too, just ahead of Snake Eyes and the Ninja BAT.

But as with everything else, your favorite will be different for different reasons. Just hold them side by side in the store - they're all pretty much still out there on the shelves, it's just hit or miss when they're all stocked.

I'll admit, I was pretty uncertain about the line at the beginning. But the number one judge in the house - my son - loves 'em. And they're starting to rub off on me.