View Full Version : Jobs.................

tank1976
02-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Just a random thought : Is anyone else here looking for a new job or employment. I am at this point in my life. Plus I'm trying to finish my 4 yr. degree--- boys and girls finish college earlier in life . I know I will only be 30 in march but I so wish I had finished my degree sooner.
Anyway, are any of u looking for or seeking employment????? Let's hear from all of you out there.

CGC
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Well, not really looking for work, but...

I've been a carpenter for quite awhile, & make a decent living at it, but I think I've had enough. For the past year, roughly, I've been thinking about opening a homebrew store in my town. The pop here is only about 10,000, but the nearest homebrew store is 60 miles away, the next closest is 80, & in the opposite direction. I think that the area would easily support it, I just haven't commited to it yet.

GBPackRat
02-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Oh yeah...

I'm in the IT field, I have a BS from UW-Madison and I'm having a heck of a time finding anything in Madison...

The job market around here is really tight. I'll be luck if I can land a $35,000+ job.... Doing IT work of all things with a 4 year BS degree...

Man, I should move...

Is work better in other parts of the US?

Tanner

The Faceless Master
02-22-2006, 05:25 PM
The problem with high paying jobs, is that the area that will be
willing to pay you $$$, also costs a lot to live there... :mad:

I live in the SF/Bay Area, i make a more than decent wage
but my mortgage is $2500/mo = and its only a 2BR condo!!!
forget about trying to get a 3 bedroom house in a nice neighborhood
without the need to work a third job... :(

Gas prices are about to reach $3/gallon, so scratch the idea of purchasing
a nice house 100miles away & just commuting everyday cuz the cost of
gas will definitely get you...

There is a new law that just got passed that would charge fast food chains
a tax for cleaning up their trash, so of course the fast food chains will
issue a "cost-recovery fee" & charge customers more for a
quarter pounder with cheese...

Anacondo
02-22-2006, 06:09 PM
There is a new law that just got passed that would charge fast food chains
a tax for cleaning up their trash, so of course the fast food chains will
issue a "cost-recovery fee" & charge customers more for a
quarter pounder with cheese...

yeah i read about that law on yahoo news or something,did they pass that law?

FireFox91
02-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Well, I want a new job. Mine has just become old and redundant. I truly believe the people that I work for do not know what they are doing. The concept of promotion from within is a joke because I am more than qualified to get promoted but never will because someone in the next department just doesn't like me. I am also in IT but before I can move on, I need to get some more certifications. IT certifications suck because they are incredibly boring to read about, they can be expensive and a lot of the study of a given subject is fluff and not substance. There is also the point that I have pretty stable employment where I am at now. If I go someplace else, I could end up in a bad situation. I worry about that because it happened to me once before. I took a better job but found out I was basically working for a spoiled rich kid that got his money from his daddy and was losing $40 million a year. :( I will probably get those certifications but probably will not look to move unless it looks very promising or I am just forced to.

ttfndude
02-22-2006, 08:36 PM
I am unemployed with a new one on the way with no hope in sight. I grad college in 99 at the ripe old age of 20 and it has yet to help me. I can make 6 dollars an hour where I live pretty easily but that doesn't cover gas or anything else. Our area is suppossed to be low on living expenses but is one of the highest in the state. Wages are lowest averaged 5.81 an hour. I had a job paying 35,000 a yr but had to set aside my morals to work it so no more. There has to be an area where it is decent living expenses with a living wage. I consider a living wage to be 9.50 an hour otherwise you will never get ahead especially if you owe $30,000 in college loans (thanks private college:o ). I have been out of work a year on April 12th besides working for farmers or old ladies. But as much complaining as I do here there are a lot of people worse off as my wife has a job at least:D . I actually spend a amount of time volunteering helping others out and I like that but it doesn't pay the bills. I have ran major business' and have worked for 15 years of my life and I have yet to see a business that takes care of its people. The last place I was at I was put in a compromising position and resigned or be fired type thing a way for the big boss lady to get rid of me, I had only helped grow the business to over a million in revenue a month:mad: . After I left all the people under me that I took care of have been fired for the most part. So I figure it is like this if someone offers you a position take it but keep your foot in the door to slip back out and take a higher paying job cause companies don't care about the individual like they used to.

ttfndude

statesofeuphoria
02-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Yep. I graduate in May with a BFA in fine art, and I have no idea what i'm gonna do. My wife is an RN and we can use the 2nd income, but I don't know where to start in my job hunting and I'm freaking out. I will be able to teach if I pass the Praxis exam, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. I may do it for backup but that's not what I want to do as a career.

tank1976
02-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, I'm still on the job hunt. I did hear back from a few resumes that I sent out. They were thanks ,but no thanks type of thing. I have spent the last 3 weeks putting out about -i think the total is- around 30 resumes now:eek: , maybe more. Some of the places I know will take a few weeks, but........ the hunt goes on.

tank1976
02-23-2006, 03:44 PM
I am unemployed with a new one on the way with no hope in sight. I grad college in 99 at the ripe old age of 20 and it has yet to help me. I can make 6 dollars an hour where I live pretty easily but that doesn't cover gas or anything else. Our area is suppossed to be low on living expenses but is one of the highest in the state. Wages are lowest averaged 5.81 an hour. I had a job paying 35,000 a yr but had to set aside my morals to work it so no more. There has to be an area where it is decent living expenses with a living wage. I consider a living wage to be 9.50 an hour otherwise you will never get ahead especially if you owe $30,000 in college loans (thanks private college:o ). I have been out of work a year on April 12th besides working for farmers or old ladies. But as much complaining as I do here there are a lot of people worse off as my wife has a job at least:D . I actually spend a amount of time volunteering helping others out and I like that but it doesn't pay the bills. I have ran major business' and have worked for 15 years of my life and I have yet to see a business that takes care of its people. The last place I was at I was put in a compromising position and resigned or be fired type thing a way for the big boss lady to get rid of me, I had only helped grow the business to over a million in revenue a month:mad: . After I left all the people under me that I took care of have been fired for the most part. So I figure it is like this if someone offers you a position take it but keep your foot in the door to slip back out and take a higher paying job cause companies don't care about the individual like they used to.

ttfndude

Sounds as if we live in the same area. I know it may of not been easy ,but it is good you took a stand and held to your morals.

Bigtattoo
02-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Im also currently between jobs. Three years to gain a nursing degree but 7 years of it was more than enough. I never believed in burnout til it happened to me.
However, our benefits system is pretty good and Im currently on a 6 month IT course that would have cost me several thou..
I dont envy you guys looking for work, it can be really disheartening.
All I can say is keep faith in yourself and stay at it. It will happen eventually.

zartan74
02-23-2006, 04:39 PM
I am fortunatly to have a job I have been working there since August of 1999 I started out making $6.00 an hour but now I am making $10.30 an hour not the best but at least for now I have a job.

I never been to college becouse I seen first hand on several people I know that it done them no good. Not to say that college is bad, it's just not for me.

Tom............

Harrison
02-24-2006, 06:22 PM
I was also a late boomer. I'm 29 now and I graduated from Northern Michigan University last December and I've been looking for work since June. The job force sucks in Michigan unless one wants to be a salesman and work from dusk till dawn trying to sell products. At the moment I'm trying to get into the Michigan State Police Academy. If that falls through, I will go OCS for the military. Keep up the hard work.:eek:

RAS ONE J
02-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Hmmm..well I've been down this road and tried different jobs or careers, education, post man, navy, physical therapy, on and on. I have 4 year degree in Excercise Phsyiology believe or not but I'm working in Network Operations for major enterprise company. After pondering on what I wanted to do for a whole summer..I did a 180 and just changed careers..luckily I did it before the .com era took a dive.
I honestly love my type of work and have access to the internet all day :)
It's competitive now to get in the IT business now..well maybe in my area and some people get pay cuts.

I would seriously look into what's in demand job in your area and study for it or if you want to stay in your field move elsewhere. Go to a city where the big companies are at or go to a city that's starting to grow. Most likely get paid much more. Last time I checked..nursing was in demand here, bio tech is still strong and wireless/communication is huge.
Anything with numbers..is always a good bet ;)
Good luck to you all though on your career quest

tank1976
02-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Hmmm..well I've been down this road and tried different jobs or careers, education, post man, navy, physical therapy, on and on. I have 4 year degree in Excercise Phsyiology believe or not but I'm working in Network Operations for major enterprise company. After pondering on what I wanted to do for a whole summer..I did a 180 and just changed careers..luckily I did it before the .com era took a dive.
I honestly love my type of work and have access to the internet all day :)
It's competitive now to get in the IT business now..well maybe in my area and some people get pay cuts.

I would seriously look into what's in demand job in your area and study for it or if you want to stay in your field move elsewhere. Go to a city where the big companies are at or go to a city that's starting to grow. Most likely get paid much more. Last time I checked..nursing was in demand here, bio tech is still strong and wireless/communication is huge.
Anything with numbers..is always a good bet ;)
Good luck to you all though on your career quest

I have started to do some of the things you talked about. Thanks for the encouragment.

Kir Kanos
02-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Don't beat yourselves up too much guys. I am 29 and still have 2 yrs of school left, plus I haven't been in a year now. (Just bought a house, money is tight). Also, I quit studying civil engineering, after getting my butt kicked in calculus. Now, I need to find something else to do...

RAS ONE J
02-24-2006, 08:38 PM
I have started to do some of the things you talked about. Thanks for the encouragment.

No problem, love to help others since I've been there, I remember I was so indecisive on my career path. I remember graduating college..and then it was.."now what..". Believe it or not..I went back to my junior college to get more computer education and some of younger teens in my class were like what are you doing here you just graduated...it paid off at the end.

Another thing that helped me out..is "networking". I was personal trainer at a gym during my college years and met a lot of people with different jobs. I asked them a lot of questions on how they like their job and what they did to get in. Networking helped me get my current job but job fairs helped me get first full time jobs. In fact..I got my first full time job from a job fair at college!!
Job fairs are good just to see what companies are in your area they normally don't do prelimary screenings or on spot interviews anymore.

One thing I learned in college was just to be social and talk to others..you never know you might run into them in the future.
Good luck to you.

ttfndude
02-24-2006, 09:49 PM
my prob is I just don't know what to do or where to go next. I was at the top for a long time as a chef than got burnt out after a decade of it and changed to manufacturing and took over the place within months two years later burned out on that stuff as well. Being very good at work comes natural and now that I have been off for almost a year I just don't know what I want to do next other than go back to acting and movies which I miss. The only thing I have done is farm work in the last year and I learned 14 pieces of machinary within three days enough I was doing all the lots alone. So I want something challenging but not so much I can't see my family like with the manufacturing job where I didn't really see my daughter for the first eight months of her life. That is the other reason I so much enjoy my time now with her knowing I cannot stay unemployed forever but with my wife pregnant I don't want to miss all the little things again like I did with her.

ttfndude

Celticjedi
02-25-2006, 01:38 AM
I just got out of school, with a BS in Marine Transportation and my 3rd Officers licence. I know several companies that need people but for some reason they are not calling back. I am tring to get on with Military Sealift Command now, but if that falls thorugh I may just sail out of the union hall.