Nit-Picky s6 Cobra Commander Figure Question [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Nit-Picky s6 Cobra Commander Figure Question

GI Trekker
02-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Okay, this is going to be a really nit-picky sort of question, but really, I'm just trying to assess the overall situation.

I purchased the Sigma Six Cobra Commander today. And -- got a bit of a problem here.

He won't stand up straight. Point his legs downward, align his feet, stand him on a table and he sort of leans a bit to his right. As far as I can tell, his legs are not of different length, the figure hasn't been misassembled, none of his parts are warped, but -- he won't stand up straight.

And yeah, this kinda ticks me off. (So does the fact that they cut the mid-torso articulation to install an "action feature" that was pretty lame twenty years ago when He-Man and Skeletor used it and it's still pretty lame, but that's another matter entirely).

So I'm basically asking -- anybody else encounter this situation with their Cobra Commander? Or was I just "lucky" enough to get a strangely lopsided one. I'm not in a position to spend another $15.00 for a replacement just now, and even if I were, I'd want to know that the same thing isn't likely to happen again.

saint99
02-26-2006, 02:35 AM
Mine doesnt' stand great.... same basic issue. Not nearly as posable as others in the line. I have been a fan of the sigma 6 line, but I agree with the He-Man battle chest, not a great fit... they could have done better. The fig is not totally unposable, I have managed to get him into a pose I'm cool with, but don't waste your money on a new fig same problem will occur.

carnage717
02-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I have had the same problem as well with mine. I love pretty much all the Sigma Six figures and have even bought multiple of each figure for customs. Out of all the figures I was the most disappointed with the Cobra Commander figure. What ever genius at hasbro thought put the He man Battle damage Chest on Cobra Commander should be fired, people hated the concept back then and they still hate it today. I pretty much had to superglue his chest on the Cobra Sybmol because for no reason it would just flip to damaged part for no apparent reason. As for him standing up straight I had to make a stand for mine because no matter which I posed it, he would not stand up. I just took a normal 3 3/4" stand and bought a small piece of plexi glass from Home depot and glued the small stand to the piece of plexit glass to make a large stand. Its not the prettiest thing in the world but if you cant get yours pose at all like mine was you might want to try that.

Brad

orionlukteel
02-26-2006, 11:47 AM
LOL My son thought the battle damage thing was cool - keep in mind that he wasn't around for the original release of He-Man, so this is all new to him. :D

Kinda makes me want to go out and get some of the Hot Wheels with the same feature. :p

I think he had CC bent at the hips, knees and ankles, kinda back on his haunches. Tho most of the time he's leaning on the serpent staff.

And you can always counterbalance by swinging the shield arm back some. It's not 100% foolproof, but it seems to work.

It's actually his - and my - favorite S6 figure to date. Until they release a Baroness, which apparently ain't gonna happen.:( :D

GI Trekker
02-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm not worried about balance. I can make mine stand up. He's just a bit lopsided to the right when he does, and there doesn't seem to be any way to correct it.

Could Hasbro have been so careless as to design a figure with uneven legs?:mad:

statesofeuphoria
02-26-2006, 01:09 PM
I can only get him to stand without his shield. I can't get Tunnel Rat to stand no matter what I do. I have to prop him up.

brain
02-26-2006, 06:17 PM
wow guys i never had any problems with mine i bought.g1 trekker couldnt you take him back and do a swap out:confused:

GI Trekker
02-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, since I've opened him, I doubt I could return him. I doubt "Customer Service" would accept my reasoning for returning him, and there's no guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

I posted this question to JoeCustoms.Com as well, and the responses seem to be running just about even between those whose Cobra Commanders have no problem whatsoever, and those whose CC's have the exact same problem as mine.

Something is definitely amiss. I doubt it's the SCULPT, since clearly it is possible to get a good-standing CC. I'm inclined to think that in some instanes, the figure parts are being yanked out of their molds too quickly, before they've set properly, or perhaps are being packaged too roughly. Consider what it takes to get some of these figures out of their packages...

CGC
02-26-2006, 10:47 PM
snip...
I'm inclined to think that in some instanes, the figure parts are being yanked out of their molds too quickly, before they've set properly,
...snip
That isn't too likely. Most of the individual parts from the fig are probably molded separately. Any specific parts that didn't get enough pressurized cooling time would shrink a little more, & wouldn't fit together with the other parts quite as it should. If you see stress marks around any joints, & the part has a visable stretch or pull there, there is a pretty good chance something similar might have happened. Another indicator would be sink. Dimples on thicker parts of the piece. Cooling time is a part of the process that isn't messed with much, the hi/low timers have a lot more adjustment, especially if you have some play with the pack & hold pressures. The mold temp can also cause some of those problems, but again, sink is much more likely, & by the time it would affect the functionality of the part, the pieces would be sticking in the mold, so (ejector) pin marks would be much deeper than normal, probably deep enough to cause bulges around them. I worked at an injection molding plant for 10 years, supervising for 8 of those years. Those problems don't really sound like processing problems, more like a design flaw.

GI Trekker
02-27-2006, 08:14 AM
That isn't too likely. Most of the individual parts from the fig are probably molded separately. Any specific parts that didn't get enough pressurized cooling time would shrink a little more, & wouldn't fit together with the other parts quite as it should. If you see stress marks around any joints, & the part has a visable stretch or pull there, there is a pretty good chance something similar might have happened. Another indicator would be sink. Dimples on thicker parts of the piece. Cooling time is a part of the process that isn't messed with much, the hi/low timers have a lot more adjustment, especially if you have some play with the pack & hold pressures. The mold temp can also cause some of those problems, but again, sink is much more likely, & by the time it would affect the functionality of the part, the pieces would be sticking in the mold, so (ejector) pin marks would be much deeper than normal, probably deep enough to cause bulges around them. I worked at an injection molding plant for 10 years, supervising for 8 of those years. Those problems don't really sound like processing problems, more like a design flaw.

A very interesting explanation. Thank you! I wonder, though, now, since some people have encountered the same problem I have, and others haven't -- could there be more than one set of Cobra Commander molds in active use, and one set has a glitch? I know how expensive tooling molds is.