View Full Version : ever use pop rivets as swords?

devilcat
02-27-2006, 10:16 PM
When I was little I used to get into dad's toobox and get the little aluminum rivets and use them as swords. A couple of times i found the little swords used to hold an olive in you drink.
For star wars, the ones that had a slot down their arm, i would take a toothpick, break it but leave the little piece attached to slide it up and down.
With the plastic left over from ships i would take a corner and cut it out just to have a cheap pistol.
Was using a rivet gun today and remembered that. any body else do somethin cheap for acc?

82to87Joes
02-27-2006, 10:18 PM
no but i used record player needles as laser guns

Chuckles32
02-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Yup, did the same thing when I was a kid. My dad was a machinist and had tons of stuff like pop rivets around. I still have some of them mixed in with my Star Wars toys, but I didn't use them with the Joes becuase the hands weren't as malleable...good memories..

ttfndude
02-27-2006, 11:17 PM
actually my favorite was getting an extra styrofoam to go box and making it into a hq for cobra. Get those little deals that kept a box from smashing the pizza and you had tables. For seats, styrofoam that came in little items like my moms shoeboxes. Used glued popsicle sticks for bannisters and for "screens" I would cut and paste magazine adds to styrofoam stands. It was all good. Did the sword thing as well my dad always remembered to bring me a couple when he went to the NCO clubs.

ttfndude

Chainsaw Viper
02-28-2006, 04:24 AM
Yeah, the styrofoam packing did make good bases from time to time. I also used those little olive swords as weapons. Good times.

statesofeuphoria
02-28-2006, 06:24 AM
Yup, I did it too. I used colored toothpicks for lightsabers too. the round ones fit perfect in Vader/Ben/Luke.

sinnister
02-28-2006, 08:58 AM
I remember using pop rivits for my castle lego guys. They fit perfectly in their hands.

Little Dragon
02-28-2006, 10:18 AM
And this is why I truely love this site. It reminds me of the stuff that brought me happiness as a child. Oh h*ll yes I used them for swords. And thanks for bringing a memory back and putting a smile on my face this morning....... now off to the real world arggh.
Joe

zartan74
02-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Yes I did do that as well. I also remember using blocks of all sorts like thoes old colerd ons and some others and mad "forts" out of them. Oh ya I remember thoes good old days as well. I remember using the "bubbles" from the MOC packs as coffins when my guys died in battle. I also remember using the washer and dryer tops as forts as well, I put dominos all around the edges of the tops of them and made walls. Man this brings back memeries..........

Tom................

The Real Destro
02-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Yea I used them for swords too.. YEARS AGO.. So long ago as a kid.. that was a nice memory playing with my friends.. We had so much fun playing gijoe.

jcast
02-28-2006, 06:29 PM
How about the easiest one? Toothpicks used as punji (sp?) sticks. Punji sticks are the traps that were used in Vietnam. You step in one, your foot gets cut and stuck. That's always fun.

ttfndude
02-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Actually one of my favs was buying boxes of Lincoln Logs( you know when they were like 1.00 a box at garage sales) and we would glue buildings together than slide black cats through the openings of the wall to make it look like "real" battle damage.:D

ttfndude

Bigtattoo
02-28-2006, 07:18 PM
[quote=devilcat] A couple of times i found the little swords used to hold an olive in you drink.
[quote]
Yeah, I did that too. Class.
The memories. Also, I used to make crutches with toothpicks and remove the lower leg from some figs.
Lollipop sticks also made good skis.(with more toothpicks for poles)

devilcat
02-28-2006, 08:28 PM
When my figures would break a thumb I always wrapped that hand represent battle damage.
I would not have had to use cheap acc. if not for my little sister and brother.
I love em but man they liked to mess with my stuff.
My sister still gets into my closet and borrows a shirt.