2-Up Prototype Question [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : 2-Up Prototype Question

bigjohnwoo
03-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Once in a blue moon, a 2-up prototype pops up for auction. Here's one that was just posted...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-JOE-2-UP-PROTOTYPE-1982_W0QQitemZ6042070219QQcategoryZ2467QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

(I can't imagine anyone would be upset that I'm "outing" this)

I was just wondering, are these figures fully functional? As in, do they have o-ring construction and all the articulation of their little brothers?

I have no plans to ever obtain one of these. Just curious.

gutstheberserker
03-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Ah, man. Why did you out that? I was hoping nobody would see it -- just kidding.

I don't know anything about 2-ups but it looks cool. I think 10K is about 3 or 4 times what it's worth though.

dockingbay97
03-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I only own one 2-up (non GI Joe) but have seen several others. They generally are pretty exact copies in larger size. They may not have all the action features if there are any (like spring launching stuff) but are generally articulated in the same way.

msv
03-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I wish Hasbro would sell 2 ups. I always liked ToyBiz 10'' super heroes.

Tattoo Shane
03-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I just saw this auction this morning and it's pretty interesting - despite the fact that the seller is a touch out of whack on his pricing.

I own one Joe 2 Up and have seen several others and they're all constructed much differently than this one on ebay:

http://lortaphanble.phpwebhosting.com/arkiv/images_toys_gijoe/DoJoComp.jpg

I'm a little skeptical about this one but there are however a number of reasons for this to be different. All of the 2 Ups i have or have seen are all from later releases so the way they created 2 Ups may have changed over the years. Also, many sculpters did things differenty from each other which could account for this.

The fact that this is a 2 Up from one of the very first figures leads me to believe that they wanted to make these as accurate as possible, for a variety of reasons (engineering, presentation, marketing, etc) and that's why this one looks so bang on compared to the other later ones.

To answer the original poster's question, no 2 Ups are not fully functional nor are they constructed like their 1:1 counterparts, although this particular one looks to be close - just another example of how different it is from later 2 Ups.

2 Ups are generally made in the same fashion - a silicon mold or molds are made from the original wax sculpt (or various parts sculpts). Resin is poured into the mold cavity and casts are made which are then refined and painted for whatever purpose the 2 Up would be serving. It's possible that, depending on how exactly this piece is constructed, an early 2 Up like this, that looks so close to production could have been placed in a pantograph machine, traced and reduced for the creation of the steel molds. It's really a tough call as so little is known about the actual Joe prototyping process, espeically when compared to the vintage SW line.

I've emailed the seller and asked a few questions and for some additional pics. Hopefully he'll reply.

thunt4
03-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Thats pretty cool. Thats the type of photos we need to see more of in the archives

danielmd06
03-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Thats pretty cool. Thats the type of photos we need to see more of in the archives

I couldn't agree more.

dockingbay97
03-09-2006, 01:47 AM
I couldn't agree more.

People who have these kinds of things need to donate pictures then.

danielmd06
03-09-2006, 08:59 AM
People who have these kinds of things need to donate pictures then.

I agree with this statement, too. :cool:

thunt4
03-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Or maybe just take the pic from the auction? lol Who does the photos in the archives nowadays anyhow? There was a thread a while back that showed the jcpenneys 3 pack of soldiers and officers and that photo should definately be in the archives as well.

TURNA
03-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Did you get a reply Tattoo Shane?

Tattoo Shane
03-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I did hear back and he's supposed to be sending me some new pics soon. I'll keep everyone updated as i find out more.

thunt4
03-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Do they do this for figures only or did they do vehicles like this too?

This I Command!
03-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Do they do this for figures only or did they do vehicles like this too?

well this isn't Joe related but I know for a fact they do this for Hot Wheels generally out of wood or clay...so I could only assume they would have had to for larger vehicles like the Defiant. Its really strange that if this many of these type items existed that they don't turn up more often, because we've seen so many unreleased items in their close to completed stage but never in 2 up form.

bigjohnwoo
03-11-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm saving my money for when the 2-up Flagg pops up for sale.

cthulhu522
03-12-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm saving my money for when the 2-up Flagg pops up for sale.

LOL Good luck with that... :)

thorn
03-12-2006, 03:04 PM
i had read about these but this is the first i have seen -very cool.
if this guy is whacked on price, what would be considered reasonable?
i have to imagine they go for a grip no matter what.

and yeah, whoever's emailing with this guy should ask him to send in photos to yojoe

NewOrder
03-12-2006, 09:26 PM
i had read about these but this is the first i have seen -very cool.
if this guy is whacked on price, what would be considered reasonable?
i have to imagine they go for a grip no matter what.

and yeah, whoever's emailing with this guy should ask him to send in photos to yojoe

If modern 2ups (from popular toylines) sell for roughly $600-800, then should be about $3000-3500. Admittedly, the 2up market has taken a beating recently. As Shane mentioned, though, the production process on this 2up is markedly different from the production process on not only future 2ups but also 2ups from other toylines.

Now, if the seller had a proof card, sheet, cromalin and original artwork to accompany the piece, then $10k would be a steal I'd commit any day of the week.

Also, there is most likely no remaining 2up for the Flagg. The designers wouldn't have kept it long as it would require too much space. As Craig, the former Hasbro engineer, said: projects come and go; and things like the Defiant and the Flagg require too much space (in the office). It would have been trashed along time ago.

dmooretoys
03-13-2006, 01:52 PM
I think this guy placed such a high price on it for two reasons:

1) Someone might actually be crazy enough to pay that.

2) No one will pay that but it will help bring attention to it and high-end collectors will contact him and start making offers outside of ebay.

By the way Shane I like your 2-Up as well. I think the only other 2-Up I have seen is of the Battle Corps Iceberg pictured in the center of the Tomart's Price Guide to G.I. Joe Collectibles book (1993) from Charles Griffith's collection and the Grunt 2-Up head pictured here:
http://yojoe.com/archive/preprod/82/grunt.shtml

Dan

Tattoo Shane
03-18-2006, 08:17 PM
well this isn't Joe related but I know for a fact they do this for Hot Wheels generally out of wood or clay...so I could only assume they would have had to for larger vehicles like the Defiant. Its really strange that if this many of these type items existed that they don't turn up more often, because we've seen so many unreleased items in their close to completed stage but never in 2 up form.

It's possible that some of the vehicles for the Joe line were originally patterned out of wood. Most of the prototype vehicles i've seen for the Joe line were done at a 1:1 scale out of styrene.

I don't think it's too strange that we haven't seen more of this stuff come to light. 2 Ups were made in quantities of at a maximum 5, possibly lower and they're VERY fragile. Those two factors alone tells us why we haven't seen many but the most important one is that no one has really been looking for them. There are several out there at this point but are in the hands of some under the radar collectors. As interest in these items increases and more people take an active role in collecting them, i'm sure we'll see more surface.

TOPSON
04-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, It just sold. $3900. He reposted it on ebay with a starting bid of $3900. Only one bidder. Man I wish I could have afforded it.
Chris