View Full Version : The Unofficial Star Wars Thread

Falcone
03-08-2006, 04:40 PM
OK, im maikng this because theres alot of star wars topics i wish to discuss.
First, has anyone here played empire at war? i bought it souly for the space battles. I love it, but there are alot of things i would change about it. Any thoughts?

FireFox91
03-08-2006, 05:42 PM
I just started playing it. I played the rebel campaign on medium skill level but got wiped out before even starting the Kashyyk mission. I then read some reviews claiming the AI was not good. So, either I suck or the AI is better than the review gave credit for. I did think it was suprising how I won some battles that I appeared to be outgunned but I did try to use some strategy. But after a while, I simply could not keep holding back all the Victory-class Star Destroyers they kept sending after me.

I think the only thing I would change so far is the building layout for the planets I control. I should be able to place the buildings where I want to better defend myself in a ground attack. Some of the maps I saw had me spread out and I had to abandon 1 or 2 buildings right from the start.

Falcone
03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
i dont even play the land battles, cause their so jacked up. The rebels have the advantage in space, which should not be. A rebel corvette is stronger than a tartan patrol cruiser, nebulan b frigates are stronger than acclimators, etc etc

KING
03-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Dang sounds like Star Wars Force Commander all over again....

danielmd06
03-08-2006, 06:49 PM
It sounds alot like Rebellion, too...

Falcone
03-08-2006, 07:05 PM
It sounds alot like Rebellion, too...

its pretty much a replacement for rebellion

cthulhu522
03-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Rebellion was horrible, but I recently sold my old copy (Discs Only) for $35.00 on ebay... Apparently, it is somewhat rare.

danielmd06
03-08-2006, 08:25 PM
its pretty much a replacement for rebellion

I actually enjoyed that game quite a bit. Unfortunately, I could never turn up the difficulty much, or I would get slaughtered. Nothing like having a Super Star Destroyer and squads of TIE fighters under Darth Vader's command though...

Falcone
03-09-2006, 12:48 AM
check this out- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6022866702&fromMakeTrack=true

KtownJoes
03-09-2006, 05:53 AM
That Cruiser was at Celebration 3 in Indy. It was neat to see it up close. They had it set up with fighters battling above it.

cthulhu522
03-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Wow that is awesome! 450 Hours to make. Thats nuts... Seems like a cool job though. Pretty cool that the money goes to charity as well.

FireFox91
03-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Rebellion was horrible, but I recently sold my old copy (Discs Only) for $35.00 on ebay... Apparently, it is somewhat rare.

Really? I am thinking I need to sell mine now as well. :) I guess I shouldn't be that suprised about this. I sold my Wing Commander Saga discs for $110 last year. The set itself included Windows (95/98) versions of the old DOS based games but it went for that much.

Falcone
03-09-2006, 05:37 PM
yes there is a high demand for rebellion, it has a huge fan base and a site devoted to it and mods for it.

What is your guys take on the SSD class of ships? I was wandering because it has such a large debate like, how big it really is, what class it really is, what the domes really are, etc...

Goldbug
03-09-2006, 06:17 PM
I like EAW. It's not as bad as Force Commander. I won the Empire campaign on easy so far. I tried the Rebel campaign but got whooped in the first mission!
I'm disappointed there are no TIE Interceptors or B-Wing fighters. Not to mention it would have been a lot better if it had Episode 3 units/factions too.
The Stormtroopers don't seem to have the correct guns or are modeled incorrectly.

danielmd06
03-09-2006, 07:22 PM
yes there is a high demand for rebellion, it has a huge fan base and a site devoted to it and mods for it.

What is your guys take on the SSD class of ships? I was wandering because it has such a large debate like, how big it really is, what class it really is, what the domes really are, etc...

I cannot believe that Rebellion is that popular. You have a link to the website?

If you are curious about my take on the SSD, check out the thread I posted about it a while back. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Dakemesh
03-09-2006, 07:34 PM
What I'd love to see is an updated version of X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter to include Republic missions and craft. That series remains my personal favorite Star Wars PC game out there. I still fire up X-wing Alliance from time to time, and it's a blast.

Falcone
03-09-2006, 08:06 PM
in a while i will type out my take on the SSD.
but first- http://www.merzo.net/ i love this place so much. its fun to compare ship sizes. I love babylon 5 just as much as i love star wars so i wanted to compare the ships side by side. I always used to view the ISDs as these huge unmatched vessels, but after comparing them to B5 EA destroyers (which are the same size) i have lost that old view. I actually view ISDs to be rather small now. Its like my whole perception(sp) on life has been tainted becuase of it :P

and along those same lines. I always viewed EA hyperian cruisers as very very small warships...well it turns out that their the same size as mon cal. cruisers! And whitestars are bigger than rebel corvettes!

I think if the earth alliance declared war on the Empire they could them up and down the galaxy!

Falcone
03-14-2006, 01:42 AM
I guess i dont have much to say on the SSD, at least not as much as i used to. but i will say this, Vaders SSD is NOT a star dreadnaught or what ever people are calling it these days. And the idea of Ackbar using a "slang" term is rediculous. He said SSD because thats what it was a super-class star destroyer. Another reason people call it a dreadnaught is because they call ISDs destroyer class ships, which means a bigger ship needs to be dreadnaught or battleship (becuase those are real life terms) but this is not real life and ISDs arnt destroyers, destoryer in their name is not a class of ship it is the name of the ship. Which then works for ths SSDs not having the dreadnaught class. thus ends that rant.

I do have some questions also.

and now i cant remember what they were:mad: ill edit this post when i remember:mad:

edit: OK here's a different one. Was there any "official" numbers given of the size of the two fleets that battled over endor?

Falcone
03-15-2006, 01:47 AM
i remembered one f my questions.

Im not sure how many people know about the miniature games babylon 5 wars and battle fleet gothic. But I was wondering if there are any games like that for star wars. For thos of you who dont know what b5 wars and bfg, there are miniature, turn based, games, that take place in space. The ships range from 2-8 inchs and the fighters are tiny. I woud love to find out if there is a star wars version of these games.

Falcone
03-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Im not sure if this had been posted here. Or even if it is real (not a joke) but...
Star Wars the TV series that takes place between III and IV. If this is real this is the best news i have EVER heard! I always used to complain that they need to fill this 19(?) year gap with something...

Dakemesh
03-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Info about the TV shows:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Star_Wars_Television_Shows_97662.asp

And for you're viewing pleasure, anyone that hasn't seen I.M.P.S (by the makers of TROOPS) should check this out!

http://impstherelentless.com/tek9.asp

joeboy75
03-20-2006, 02:41 PM
I've been really excited about the TV series since I hear Lucas talk about it at the celebration but at the same time I'm really nervous on what the content will be. I can't wait to hear more about the "spin-off" character, who it is, etc. I just hope that the show won't be about Luke's childhood.

Falcone
03-23-2006, 05:15 PM
I've been really excited about the TV series since I hear Lucas talk about it at the celebration but at the same time I'm really nervous on what the content will be. I can't wait to hear more about the "spin-off" character, who it is, etc. I just hope that the show won't be about Luke's childhood.

it shouldnt be about luke, they said it will follow minor charcater through the rise of the rebellion. I still cant bleieve this is happening, its like a great dream:D

cthulhu522
03-24-2006, 11:58 AM
This has nothing to do with the TV show, but I thought this was a pretty cool Galactic Heroes Custom Vader figure on ebay.

LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-VADER-ANAKIN-CUSTOM-FIGURE-GALACTIC-HEROES_W0QQitemZ6045971435QQcategoryZ751QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem)

Falcone
03-24-2006, 12:00 PM
this thread is for anything star wars;)

looks kind of creepy with the helmet on

CGC
03-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Looks kinda creepy even without the helmet!

Falcone
04-03-2006, 02:44 PM
what ever happened to clone commander cody? He was cool (i know he was exactly the same as the rest but he was cooler than the rest)

Dakemesh
04-03-2006, 07:11 PM
what ever happened to clone commander cody? He was cool (i know he was exactly the same as the rest but he was cooler than the rest)

Well, the commanders weren't exactly the same as the rest. They were cloned with a little more brainpower so as to be able to better deal with unexpected events in the field. They were no less loyal b/c of it however.