Action Force Triad Fighter with Dolphin on the box [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Action Force Triad Fighter with Dolphin on the box

Buddusky
04-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Hello,

I've just managed to get a hold of a MIB Action Force Triad Fighter c/w Moondancer and a MIB Action Force Sealion c/w Dolphin. When they turned up this morning I noticed that Dolphin was pictured on the Triad Fighter box and not Moondancer however Moondancer was inside the box as expected. Please can anyone tell me if all Triad Fighter boxes showed Dolphin or did some show Moondancer and did any Triad Fighters actually come with Dolphin?

Bigtattoo
04-25-2006, 04:56 PM
As far as I knew, Dolphin and Moondancer were the same fig. ( both repaints of Zap).
I have seen some figs with Flash's head and blonde hair, but I dont know anything about them.
My bad:
http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/moondancer.shtml
http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/dolphin.shtml

andymort
04-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Gotta ask -- how much did they set you back, and they got any more...?

Oh, and I was under the impression Dolphin had the Zap head, Moondancer the blonde Flash, and Moondancer was possibly a slightly darker shade of grey?

Buddusky
04-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey Big T.,

That's the figures I've got as per the Archive, Moondancer is a repainted Short Fuse and Dolphin is a repainted Zap. But like I say it's definately Dolphin on the Triad Fighter box. I also noticed that on the side of the box the Z Force base is pictured with Gung Ho and Stalker and not Jammer and Gaucho. I'm charging the camera so hopefully I'll have some photo's tomorrow.

Hey Storms,

It's a long story but I got them for 50 a piece outside of Ebay. The seller posted on Ebay a loose boxed Triad Fighter with Moondancer at 35, a MIB S.A.S. Wolverine with Hunter for 90, MIB Cobra Roboskull with Wild Weasel at 100, a loose boxed Z Force ATC at 100, loose boxed Laser with Red Laser at 50, a loose boxed Hyena with Red Jackel at 50 and a Z Force Mobat with Steeler at 40 which were all taken within seconds of the listing with the exception of the Laser, Hyena and Mobat which went after a day. There was also a MOC AF Firefly at 65 which expired tonight.

Cheers

Jon

Bigtattoo
04-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Jon- been thinking about this.
Just going purely by memory ( which is unreliable):
ALL Triads were shown with Dolphin on the cover- thats why I thought the two were interchangable.
have u joined The Barons site?(if its fixed)
theyll be better able to answer all AF questions.

Buddusky
04-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Cheers Chris, I'll have a look on the Baron's site. I can't seem to find any reference pictures for the Triad and Sealion anywhere. I used to have the older version of the Triad as a kid, the one that came with the stiff Moondancer, but the memory of the box is a blank.

All the boxes being the same falls in line with the theory, well my theory anyway, that Palitoy never really had a plan when they were pulling these things together.

Stormer mentioned the figures could be different shades but the ones I have both look the same. Also the archive says that Moondancer came with a light blue back pack but the one I have looks grey as per the other accessories.

airedevon
04-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Here's a comparison pic of some of the boxes..

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1238/afcompare4sm0de.jpg

The Dolphin and Moondancer Joe articulation versions were released when Action Force adopted the Joe concept story line (which is why Gaucho and Jammer were replaced by Gung Ho and Stalker for the HQ in the picture on those later edition boxes - Z Force was no longer...)

The backpacks I have are grey, too... maybe they look light blue in certain light (?)

I think they just used the Dolphin figure for both box fronts because that's what they had while they were doing the photographing, and they figured that with the helmet on, nobody would notice (good eye there!!! ;-)

Aire

airedevon
04-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Notice that they have taken the Q Force and Space Force stickers off the 2 later versions...(and generally changed the decals)

andymort
04-26-2006, 05:09 AM
I'm far from an authority on these guys - regarding the shade fo grey, I was going by pics I'd seen of Dolphin (never seen the actual figure) and what I'm 90% certain was a Moondancer a friend of mine had when we were youger. He might actually still have it somewhere...hmm...

Buddusky
04-26-2006, 05:20 AM
Hey Devon,

Yeah mate I remember all that. The top left Triad Fighter is the one I had when I was a kid and I remember the two versions of the Sealion, but this was the first time I had seen the other Triad Fighter box close up and immediately noticed Dolphin, hence the question.

Although they are pictured I can't remember the Command Centre ever being released with Gung Ho and Stalker as they were released by Palitoy carded. I know there were two different camo versions of the Command Centre but was there an AF version as well as the Z Force version?

I'm unsure of that backpack mate as mine is grey no matter how I look at it, is the light blue one a variant or would the plastic age that colour?

Thanks for the input Devon, take a look at this thread and see if you can add anymore info into the mysteries of Palitoy packaging!

http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=36596

Cheers Jon

Buddusky
04-26-2006, 05:26 AM
Hey Storms,

It would be greatly appreciated if you could do some investigation work mate. These guys rank highly in my favourites and I'm getting more intrigued by the way Palitoy produced things.

Thanks again

Jon

andymort
04-27-2006, 05:15 AM
I'll see what I can do, Bud; I've been trying to get my mate to get his old Joes out of storage for a while now, in hopes that I could possibly get my hands on some of his figures. It's a delicate process, can't show too much desperation otherwise he'll wonder what's so special about them and probably end up pricing them over what I can afford, or put them on eBay where I'll have no chance!

But I definitely want to find out what that figure I remember was! I'm wondering if it's Hawk v1, also - I didn't know anywhere near enough about US and Palitoy releases back when we collected them as kids. We used to think his Red Laser (decals worn off) was an early version of a Crimson Guard, based on the issue of the comic where CC introduces the CGs (Fred I) at a rally...!

Neal1971nl
05-01-2006, 06:25 AM
Palitoy is inconsistency to the max, hence the immense ammount of strange variants. I have a couple of Z Force captains MOC, all with a different rifle. Guess the staff was not paying attention too much at that time and quality control was on holiday. ;)

Wouldn't be surprised it the same figure was used for both picture, because it appeared to be the same one to the photographer.