View Full Version : Large scans (and legality)

This I Command!
05-08-2006, 10:31 PM
I have an image I want to get scanned that is copyrighted. Its rather large (nearly 20x20) I've been calling around my area to find somewhere with a scanner that big and the only place I can find is Kinko's they said they would only charge me $10 to scan it at 600dpi, great! Until I ask if the fact its copyrighted would be a problem...of course :mad: So my question is, how do I go about getting this thing scanned, I had thought about doing it at home in sections but that doesn't really work out the way I need it to. So any ideas? Everyone is so uppity like I'm gonna make a mass production or something, when no one in their right mind would even care to have this thing blown up but me...whatever, and I image they will have just as big of a problem reprinting it too. So where do I go to have this done, someone must have an idea also if it helps I will travel anywhere between Ft.Myers, Sarasota, Largo, Clearwater, Tampa, etc. So especially if any Floridians have access to one that would be great too, I had thought about a school maybe having one but as of yet my friends and I can't think of any that would. If anyone can shed any light it would be a BIG BIG help!

Dakemesh
05-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Uh... next time don't tell them it's copyrighted?

This I Command!
05-09-2006, 12:02 AM
I didn't really need to tell them the huge (C) 1990 blah blah...in the corner kinda gives it away, thats why I asked before I even bothered driving it to them cause I've had issue with copying stuff in the past.

Cobras Toys
05-09-2006, 01:36 AM
Can you cover up the copyright date etc? If its not visible you should be able to get it copied..

picollogoku
05-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Take some clear tape paint it the color of the poster and cover the mark.

Or when you go to these places to get it done look for the youngest, or seemingly least inteligent person to help.

And yes, me doubting some ones intelligence when I can't spell is ironic:rolleyes:....

jason

dockingbay97
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM
I have had the worst time with Kinkos with this. They just won't budge.

orionlukteel
05-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Find a friend who works at an engineering company with a large color scanner. :D

I just left a company with one, otherwise I'd offer to do it. As it is, though, I only have a B&W sheet feed scanner that can scan up to 36"x48" drawings.

As for Kinkos - they're just covering their butts. When I was doing comic book work for an independent company, they gave me a hard time for cover art that I'd personally PUT a copyright symbol on even though we hadn't gone through the official process completely yet. It took a lot of tooth-pulling to get them to copy/blow up my own work. :rolleyes:

gutstheberserker
05-09-2006, 12:34 PM
By a regular scanner and scan different portions then use Photoshop 7.0 to merge them into one. Have them do a color copy on reduced size then have the reduced sized scan.

carnage717
05-09-2006, 12:49 PM
I live in Sarasota and work for an Enginnering frim here as well and we do alot of business with a Blueprint Company in Sarasota that has a large Color Scanner. Im not sure if you live in Sarasota or not. Like I said Im not sure where you live but if you are familiar with Sarasota at all there is a Place on Bee Ridge Road between Beneva and McIntosh Road called Florida Blueprint. It is a family owned business so you might have a better chance there than somplace like Kinko's. Just out of curiosity what are trying to scan, you can Pm if you dont want to post it here. Try calling them and see what they say.

Brad

This I Command!
05-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I live in Sarasota and work for an Enginnering frim here as well and we do alot of business with a Blueprint Company in Sarasota that has a large Color Scanner. Im not sure if you live in Sarasota or not. Like I said Im not sure where you live but if you are familiar with Sarasota at all there is a Place on Bee Ridge Road between Beneva and McIntosh Road called Florida Blueprint. It is a family owned business so you might have a better chance there than somplace like Kinko's. Just out of curiosity what are trying to scan, you can Pm if you dont want to post it here. Try calling them and see what they say.

Brad

Hey Brad, I actually live in Seminole, FL (in the Clearwater/St.Pete area) but I live in Sarasota during the school year cause I go to Ringling School of Art and Design. Anyways I will shoot you a PM with the details. Thanks for the heads up I'll give them a shot!