View Full Version : First official GIJoe vs Transformers toy!

flywheels
05-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Many of you should be at least familiar w/ Hasbro's Titanium line that started with small die-cast Star Wars ships. Many should know that they line has been expanded to include Battlestar Galactica as well as Transformers this summer/fall.

In addition to the small non-poseable 3" figures, Hasbro is releasing transformable 6" version as well with Optimus Prime and Megatron being the first out. Released today (*thanks to TFW2005.com) were the tech specs from the back of the packaging. GIJoe fans really oughta check out Megatron's tech spec...at least IMO it makes it the first semi-official GIJoe vs Transformers toy!

Strength: 10 Intelligence: 9 Speed: 5 Endurance: 9 Rank: 10 Courage: 10 Firepower: 8 Skill: 7

Megatron does not suffer fools gladly. Yet here he is, forced by the power of the Matrix to obey the commands of a simpering braggart in a hood, and a fleshling no less! Still, Megatron is nothing, if not patient. Let that shrill simpleton Cobra Commander collect his trinkets and treasures. Megatron will watch, and wait his time to strike.

His chance is given to him, shockingly, by the Autobots, whose cooperation with G.I. Joe has smashed Cobra’s outer defenses. Feeding his own warriors into the furnace of Cobra Commander’s insane tactics, Megatron holds one desire at the forefront of his mind - he will see his tormentor dead and the Matrix in his hand before the Autobots arrive.

Bravo
05-10-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm confused. Why is this Megatron tied into GI JOE?

wedge1968
05-10-2006, 08:23 PM
I am confused (as usual). I followed a bunch of links, and eventually, I found two different pictures of Optimus Prime and Megatron. The first set was transformable, but the second set, which is what intrests me, was just classic looking action figures of the two. Are they packaged together? Are the action figures on the shelves now? Does anyone have any info on these?

Thanks for the info. I haven't done Transformers in (many) years, so I wouldn't have run across this.

flywheels
05-10-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm confused. Why is this Megatron tied into GI JOE?

Did you not read his Tech Spec? This is the same Megatron that was featured in the Marvel GIJoe comics...(i.e. Generation 2 Megatron...rebuilt by Cobra Commander)

flywheels
05-10-2006, 08:31 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=99155

The 6" transformable toys will be sold separately and are scheduled for a June(?) release. Only the larger scale will be transformable...the smaller 3" figures are pre-posed characters ranging from older Generation One characters to newer Alternators.

1:18scale
05-11-2006, 10:04 AM
I never like it when Transformers appeared in the regular series. It was like they never existed, and then all of a sudden they appeared and they made it looked like the Transformers had existed in the Joe universe all along. It threw the whole series off. It's fine when the two groups crossed over in a separate book, but it was strange when they appeared in the regular Joe series.

But it'll be great if they release an Image version of a transformable Optimus Prime/Hiss or one of the seeker as a Rattler .

Magna Prime
05-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Oooo, I'm not too excited by that Megatron, but I definitely MUST have that Optimus. Very cool indeed, and interesting that they tied it into GI Joe.

MikePrime
05-11-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't know where they got the idea to tie this Megatron with a G.I. Joe crossover story. Megatron has never looked like that in any of the crossovers. Cobra did rebuild Megatron into a tank, during the later issue of the Marvel G.I. Joe series, but that was also a tie-in with G2 Transformers. That tank mode looked nothing like this new one.

flywheels
05-11-2006, 12:08 PM
I never like it when Transformers appeared in the regular series. It was like they never existed, and then all of a sudden they appeared and they made it looked like the Transformers had existed in the Joe universe all along. It threw the whole series off. It's fine when the two groups crossed over in a separate book, but it was strange when they appeared in the regular Joe series.

But it'll be great if they release an Image version of a transformable Optimus Prime/Hiss or one of the seeker as a Rattler .

I agree, it didn't do too much for either mixing the two franchises in the core book, but I have enjoyed some of the recent versus books between the two.

As for a transformable Prime/Hiss...I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Come on Hasbro, you mixed Star Wars and Transformers, why not these GIJoe/Cobra vehicles as TFs?!

flywheels
05-11-2006, 12:11 PM
I don't know where they got the idea to tie this Megatron with a G.I. Joe crossover story. Megatron has never looked like that in any of the crossovers. Cobra did rebuild Megatron into a tank, during the later issue of the Marvel G.I. Joe series, but that was also a tie-in with G2 Transformers. That tank mode looked nothing like this new one.

You have to use your imagination a bit. It's actually more of a cross between Megatron's War Within mold and his G2 version. It may not be a spitting image of his GIJoe comic form or G2 for that matter, but at least they're tying it in w/ Cobra Commander. If nothing else, it's odd - yet fascinating!

CGC
05-11-2006, 12:47 PM
snip...

As for a transformable Prime/Hiss...I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Come on Hasbro, you mixed Star Wars and Transformers, why not these GIJoe/Cobra vehicles as TFs?!
I never got into TF's very much, but Optimus Prime was an autobot/good guy, right? Is there some other Prime that was a decepticon?

Interesting idea, but I would prefer if the Cobra vehicles were decepticons & the Joe vehicles were autobots. Mixing the lines would muddy things enough, so I think it would be better if good guys remained good guys, while bad guys remained bad guys.

andymort
05-11-2006, 01:40 PM
CGC:
In the first series of DDP's GI Joe/Transformers comics, which exist in their own continuity, Cobra discovered the inert Transformers and rebuilt them to mimic Cobra vehicles. They didn't know the difference between Autobots and Decepticons so we got to see Autobots as ground vehicles (HISSes, Stuns, Stingers) and some Decepticons as air (Rattlers, basically). Some "classic-look" Autobots showed up and freed their comrades from Cobra control (woke them up, really) and they joined the Joes.

The bio for this Megatron sounds a lot like the DDP GI Joe/Transformers or even moreso the Dreamwave TF/Joe series, with a World War II setting, which had the Matrix being used by CC and the Joes & Autobots teaming up right away instead of Autobots ever being controlled by Cobra. It's not really like the end of the Marvel Joe series/TF:G2 as CC never controlled Megatron, they made an alliance that was basically trying to use the other for their own ends.

Joes are my first love but TFs aren't far behind :)

CGC
05-11-2006, 01:53 PM
andymort - That makes sense. Those combinations don't seem so strange now. Thanks for the explanation.

danyanda
05-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Cool 1:18 scale transformers, bio or no bio, would be awesome. Anything else... meh...

snarf5181
05-11-2006, 03:45 PM
whats the difference between G1 & G2?

MikePrime
05-11-2006, 04:37 PM
whats the difference between G1 & G2?

G2 (Transformers Generation 2) was in the early '90s. There were some new toys as well as re-releases/repaints of Transformers toys from the original line of the '80s. The original line is often referred to as G1 (Generation 1). It's the equivalent of ARAH when referring to the Joe toys of the '80s.

G2 had Megatron as a tank, he was a handgun in the original line. The Marvel G.I. Joe comics did a crossover with Transformers at the time and it was Cobra that gave Megatron his new tank body.

CGC
09-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Well, the Titanium Megatron is now the first Transformer I've bought in probably 20 years (the last one was an insecticon, a grasshopper, but I don't recall the name). This is more of a novelty than a must-have piece for me. In case anybody hasn't seen it yet, this was put in the archive (http://www.yojoe.com/archive/actfig/tmegs/) about a month ago.

crimsonhawk
09-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Too bad he's so dang ugly...especially compared to the war within optimus.

What I'd like to see is Starscream turn into a night raven and prime into a crimson hiss tank that we saw in the comics a while back.

flywheels
10-02-2006, 09:07 PM
The Megs toy ain't that bad...but there are some major flaws in the engineering of the toy. This thing flops around more than a marionette! Still cool that they chose this incarnation of Megatron as their first Titanium Megatron.