View Full Version : Who likes yardwork?

GBPackRat
05-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Alright Everyone, let's be on the level here..

I know most people gripe about it, but I actually like it. I work in computers and I'm ususally stuck in an office all day. I find it relaxing and refreshing to be outside on the weekends doing yardwork and getting dirty...

Anyone else a sicko like myself?

Tanner

toe
05-17-2006, 10:52 PM
In the last three years, I've dumped 50 tons of dirt in my yard and hand shoveled every bit of it......I also have several thousand pounds of rocks and boulders, hundreds of square feet of flower beds, and last year's project is now complete...a mini-ampitheatre. Nonetheless, I enjoy playing in the dirt.

CGC
05-17-2006, 10:56 PM
As a winter person -

I like to be outside, as long as it's under 80°F. If I actually have to do anything, 70° is pushing it, but anything down to about 10°-15° above (about -10°C) is T-shirt weather for me. I'm not really a fan of yard work, but it is an excuse to be outside, so I give a lot more care to my hops, fruit shrubs/bushes & fruit trees than they really need, but my yields are great! My puppies are probably a little on the spoiled side, too.

On the other hand, from mid-July until early September (the really hot months), my work day is done around 10 or 11 am & I don't even consider mowing my lawn - it's hot enough that it'll probably kill it off anyway...

The Real Destro
05-17-2006, 11:24 PM
I get what your saying. But myself, I like do stuff around the house. Repairs/Fixups, ect.. kind of things. Cause of that I'm using wood and tools or caulking.

carnage717
05-18-2006, 08:33 AM
I enjoy doing yard work but living Florida doesnt help. Usually during the Winter months when the Temp. runs in the 60's and 70's I have very little yard work to do. I dont think I have had to mow my law for about 2 months now, I think the last time it rained here was sometime in Feburary so my grass never grows. I did manage to get my house painted this winter. During the Summer months when I rains every afternoon I hate being outside because it is just so hot but because it rains so much I have to mow the grass at least once or twice a week. Basically when its nice outside I never have anything to do outside and when I do need to do some yardwork it so hot you would rather stay inside.

Brad

Patrick A. Riley
05-18-2006, 09:38 AM
I mow the lawn and do the edging along the sidewalk and driveway. Once I'm done and if it looks good, I take so much pride in it :D

NewKid
05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
I love yard work. Something about being outside makes me forget that what I am doing is actually work. I am finishing up a three pool water garden this weekend. Massachusetts has great weather for yard work most of the time so I can't complain. Carnage717 I know what you mean, when I lived in Florida I didn't even want to leave my house most of the time because of that constant heat/humidity. Needless to say I left Florida asap.

crimsonhawk
05-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I like it more than I used to. When I was a kid I *hated* mowing the lawn. As I grew up I began cutting back the trees and hedges and actually started to like it a little.

Now that I have my own house I like it a lot more. It's nice to put some manual labor in and make something where there was nothing. I've got a whole laundry list of stuff to do if we would quit travelling every weekend!

orionlukteel
05-18-2006, 01:01 PM
I had a house on a hill in Pittsburgh, no driveway access, just stairs. It was all thorn bushes and poison sumac. And the hill was roughly a 2:1 slope - hard to walk with a machete and weed wacker.

I learned to really despise yardwork. :D It was an hour drive to the hosue, which I wasn't living in, and I was racking up tickets at the rate of $500 a day for the overgrowth - no, not a misprint - until my court date came and they held me responsible for $1500.

Now that I'm in Vegas, I'm diggin' desert landscaping and can't believe the idiots who are wasting so much water (reclaimed water, but still) trying to keep their lawns green. And I STILL hate yardwork.

toe
05-20-2006, 08:38 PM
I get what your saying. But myself, I like do stuff around the house. Repairs/Fixups, ect.. kind of things. Cause of that I'm using wood and tools or caulking.

Those are the kind of things my wife does.......

cobrasoldier
05-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I pay an undocumented worker from mexico to do my yard....J/K I HATE yard work and I have paid for my yard to be done by a fireman who cuts yards as a second job for yrs.

yard work-----yuk!

Icebreaker
05-21-2006, 08:14 AM
I very much enjoy yardwork. Although, I haven't really done any since about 1998, as I haven't had a yard since then. Right now, I have a 2' by 5' deck.
I tried getting some tomato plants to grow in pots on it last year. They actually grew pretty tall, but I only got like 4 really good tomatos off it. I think they got too much sun--I used the deck rail to tie up the plant, too. This year I'm just sticking to flowers and one pot, and I'm pulling it back under the eave a little more. Just a little over a year left in this apartment, maybe my next one will have a yard!
I'm outside for a good part of my work day. Not sure what I'm going to do for a job next, but I really just enjoy working outside right now.

FireFox91
05-21-2006, 09:42 AM
I hate yard work. I didn't get a good taste of it until I bought my house. I have a bunch of large trees that drop small leaves all over the yard. I don't have the time to rake this crap up every week for the 2 months or more that they are falling so it builds up and kills my grass. Then that makes mowing the lawn so much fun as I hit large dirt patches and the mower blows that crap into my face. I can enjoy any sort of improvement work I do to my house, but not working in that yard. I hate it.