View Full Version : All current & former military

devilcat
06-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Received a letter from VA that computer info containing ssn#'s and other info on over 26 million veteran's was stolen. Has this affected anyone yet?

dockingbay97
06-19-2006, 09:31 AM
I put fraud alerts on my credit file with all three agencies just to be safe.

Harrison
06-19-2006, 08:27 PM
It hasn't affected me in anyway, and it wont. It's pretty simple, if someone out there plans to use a stolen SSN# they will get caught pretty fast. And what ever they did to someone's credit will be reversed. So, really there is no reason to be scared,,,, lay off the TV; they only want to keep BIg Bro scaring people, the easy sheep.:mad:

dockingbay97
06-19-2006, 08:30 PM
It is not that easy to get things removed from your credit report.

dmooretoys
06-21-2006, 10:26 PM
This is the third time the military or VA has lost my social security number. One was through the VA, one was Tricare, and one was at my local installation. Let's just say I am becoming VERY familiar with how fraud alerts work! If you don't already have a fraud alert on file make sure you do it through the big three credit report companies: Equifax, Experian, and Transunion.

Dan

dockingbay97
06-21-2006, 11:32 PM
If you don't already have a fraud alert on file make sure you do it through the big three credit report companies: Equifax, Experian, and Transunion.

Right now vets only have to file with one company. The company you report it to automatically reports it to the other two. It saves you some work. You will also get a letter in the mail from all three confirming the alert.

dmooretoys
06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
That's right--I only had to do it through one as well. I did get a copy of my credit report from all three though. My first incident with a lost social was two years ago so I'm starting to forget the specifics, I guess. If I'm not mistaken the fraud alert is good for seven years. There may be other time periods you can get for the fraud alerts but for some reason seven years is stuck in my mind as how long mine will be in effect.

Dan

sublimetxtx
06-22-2006, 07:39 AM
I wanted to bring this to your attention:

http://www.va.gov/

At least they are doing something to help us vets out : )

dockingbay97
06-22-2006, 07:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken the fraud alert is good for seven years. There may be other time periods you can get for the fraud alerts but for some reason seven years is stuck in my mind as how long mine will be in effect.

Really? That sounds better than the six months or something I read somewhere.

dmooretoys
06-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Nick,

I could be wrong so you will want to check on it. I do know that when I went in this last time my alert was still active from two years ago.

Dan

YELSEW
07-07-2006, 05:25 PM
I work for the VA and I wanted to inform all of you that they did recover the disc. They say the disc was not compromised. But, I would still watch your accounts to ensure nothing is being spent without you knowing (I think this is good advice for us all though).

devilcat
07-11-2006, 05:36 AM
I work for the VA and I wanted to inform all of you that they did recover the disc. They say the disc was not compromised. But, I would still watch your accounts to ensure nothing is being spent without you knowing (I think this is good advice for us all though).
Thanks, for the update.