Is Sigma 6 a flop? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Is Sigma 6 a flop?

2LT VIPER
06-27-2006, 03:14 PM
:D I came back from Iraq to see no more joes on the shelves. I know they dumped it for Sigma 6. However, I see them peg warming the shelves and think they are rather boring and a bit to anime for my liking.

Does anyone know how well they are doing? My kids do not even want them, they prefer the small ones.

Bravo
06-27-2006, 03:37 PM
They are doing alright.

It just seems like the media push (cartoon) did a lot for Sigma Six. The 12" line based on 3 3/4" characters died with wimper and no one seem to care (actually the entire 12" died), but those seem more interesting to me than the Anime look of Sigma Six.

utrom
06-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Sigma 6 is not a flop and is going strong plus I like what they are doing with the new toys.:cool:

freak4ll
06-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Is the cartoon still running, can't seem to find it anymore - unless it changed days or times... it wasn't very good in my view anyway. I've never been interested in the line, I'm only loyal to 3 3/4in.

FireFox91
06-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Sigma 6 is not a flop and is going strong plus I like what they are doing with the new toys.:cool:

I think saying it is going strong is a little strong choice of words. I constantly see the same figures on the shelves which is an indication it isn't selling that quickly.

Patrick A. Riley
06-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Sales aren't great, but they aren't terrible either, relatively speaking

I just wish they wouldn't spread themselves thin like this. All the lines suffer in the long run because everyone has their preferences and they don't usually embrace all the sizes (the new 2", ARAH, new sculpts, Sigma 6, 12")

It won't be the colossal flop that the Sgt. Savage and Extreme lines were, because Sigma 6 is somewhat based on the known 3 3/4" characters

Little Dragon
06-27-2006, 07:12 PM
I guess it depends on where you are located. Here in Reno, NV Sigma Six is selling extremly well in all five of our Super Wal-Marts , two Targets, and our one Toys-R-Us. But the DTC 3 3/4 figures at our Toys-R-Us fly off the shelf and I mean fly. If your not there the day they come in then boy your outa luck 'cause they are gone.
Joe

CrazyBones
06-27-2006, 07:34 PM
In Oregon, the Sigma line seems mediocre at best. Toys are pretty popular in this area and G.I. Joe pegs are usually full of figures where as the Marvel Legends, Star Wars and even Pirates of the Caribbean pegs are usually wiped out.

Icebreaker
06-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't call it a "flop" in these here parts. I don't see any of the first series of the S6 figures in any of my usual haunts, and the pegs usually looke picked through. Only thing I would call a "flop" is the big multi-gun thing--there's an abundance of those sitting around.

In one location locally, I think it is interesting that there is still GvC and Spytroops (never got VvV since the pegs were too full for restock), however, the S6 figures right next to them are almost always gone.

The kids that I've overheard in the toy aisles seem to be drawn to the larger size figures. For instance, in TRU about a year ago, the kids were SO much more interested in the 12" figs than any of the VvV or 6 packs sitting above them. Maybe the large detail and more attractive packaging are kid-draws, too. Never know for sure, though.

johnlogic
06-27-2006, 08:42 PM
S6 is sitting on the shelf at the TRU I work at, but they DTC line is flying, people/collectors seem to eat DTC up, yet sig just sits on the pegs. Maybe the 2 inch line will do better.

cobrasoldier
06-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Both Sigma 6 And Dtc Lines Are Sitting On The Shelves At Toys R Us Here In San Antonio, Tx. Target Has Sigma 6 Sitting On The Shelves. Everyone One Of Them Except Firefly And Snake Eyes Ops......the Dtc At Toys R Us Are Sifted Through But Most All Sit There. They Have Plent Of Those Remake Moray's With Beach Head And Flint. The Comic Packs Are Really The Only Thing I See Move Fast. Real Fast. Other Than That, It Looks Like People See It As Junk.............

kp_edge
06-27-2006, 11:27 PM
At the TRU in Mobile, AL the Sigma Six stays stagnant while the DTC is a new set every week (the six packs are kinda moving, but the single packs are constantly going).

In the retail places around the area the S6 trickles- the Ninjas don't last long but the others take a lot longer to move, generally speaking.

PS. yeah, I'm biased against S6 but I can "report" objectively- it's just toys...

james strickland
06-27-2006, 11:36 PM
As far as I now in this area they took awhile but every thing is slowly moving around.

zartanspal
06-28-2006, 06:08 AM
I wouldn't think it was a flop just because there are stores still carrying the figures. They are people that are buying these things like crazy around here in NC. I am a straight 3 3/4 collector but I picked up the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow two pack because I thought they looked cool.

samluvsjoes
06-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Around here, it seems that S6 sits and sits and sits. They even collect massive amounts of dust. I think part of it is that the stores don't have enough shelf space for everything or, like most of the TRUs around here, they have them in an odd place. DTC seems to be selling well depending on the location (and how much money I have:D )
Sam

wedge1968
06-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Welcome back from Iraq!!!

Royal Guard
06-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Sigma 6 would be better if they had an assortment of vehicles to choose from. A couple of ninja cycles isn't much to choose from.

CrazyBones
06-28-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't see vehicles as an option. To keep with scale the vehicle would be three times the size of a tonka truck. Hence the 2.5's on the way...

RedClaw
06-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Hasbro is happy with the sales figures for the first year. The second major push for the 2006/07 TV season is coming this fall, and with that we will see new characters, and new designs for the current cast.

Check your G.I.Joe Collectors' Club newsletter for more information and pictures.

Agent Orange
06-29-2006, 03:07 PM
I still see Wave 1 S6 clogging shelves around here. DTC stuff at TRU tends to vanish as soon as it gets here (with the exception of the over-priced Viper Lockdown set, which has been warming pegs since it first showed up).

The Buffalo Soldier
07-03-2006, 04:38 PM
I still see Wave 1 S6 clogging shelves around here. DTC stuff at TRU tends to vanish as soon as it gets here...

Yeah, that's pretty much the same way it is here in Buffalo, NY. Sigma Six sits, and DTC flys off the shelves. I hear people keep saying that Sigma Six is doing well, but I see very little evidence of that at retail around here.

gunslingercbr
07-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the same way it is here in Buffalo, NY. Sigma Six sits, and DTC flys off the shelves. I hear people keep saying that Sigma Six is doing well, but I see very little evidence of that at retail around here.
yeah, I tend to see the same Transformers, Marvel Legends and Star Wars figures on the shelves. those lines must be flops too.

RedClaw
07-03-2006, 05:30 PM
You're not really seeing wave 1 as much as you're seeing re-packs from that assortment. Out here in Seattle I see pretty much the whole line everywhere I go - for a while Cobra Commander was hard to find, but not now.

The only figures around here that aren't moving as fast are the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow 2-pack w/ DVD.

For all intents and purposes, these are hot hot hot sellers.

samluvsjoes
07-03-2006, 06:09 PM
You're not really seeing wave 1 as much as you're seeing re-packs from that assortment. Out here in Seattle I see pretty much the whole line everywhere I go - for a while Cobra Commander was hard to find, but not now.

The only figures around here that aren't moving as fast are the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow 2-pack w/ DVD.

For all intents and purposes, these are hot hot hot sellers.

Hmmm, the versions around here must be the super ultra rare versions with 1/2 inch of dust action accessory. Just kidding. Seriously though, they do tend to collect dust around here, and I'm talking wicked amounts. I think next time I'm down in the toy section I'm gonna write my name in the dust and see if it is still there a few weeks later. However, interestingly enough, Marvel Legends stuff doesn't stay on the shelves at all. Neither does DTC, with a few exceptions (I think the Ice Sabre has been at local TRUs since the Defiant was released).
Sam

KtownJoes
07-03-2006, 06:15 PM
The TRU's here in Indiana are jammed with DTC stuff. Army builders, 6 packs, Ice Sabres, none of it sells. Sigma seems to be doing pretty well here. I havent seen a Firefly, Long Range, Spirit, Bat w/Glider, or Ninja Bat in quite awhile since I bought them. Not sure if Destro is out yet, but i have never seen him at all.

Walmart here is empty on Sigma except 2-3 oddball repacks of the 1st series stuff.

Dreadnok4life
07-03-2006, 08:31 PM
In my part of California, both Sigma Six and DTC appear to be almost dead. The two local TRU's have a four foot endcap for both lines to share. The S6 stuff is old Wave I stuff. The DTC stuff is maybe two Ice Sabres and maybe one six pack. Almost nothing.

The local Targets and Wal-Marts don't carry any Joe stuff at all.

GI Trekker
07-04-2006, 03:09 AM
According to reports that came out of the Convention, Hasbro is VERY pleased with the sales of Sigma 6. It does seem to be sitting a little bit right now, but hey, it's summer. That tends to be a down time for toys.

And, in fairness, the action figure market as a whole isn't anywhere near what it used to be. Video games have taken over, and only the hardiest and cleverest survive. These days, that's pretty much Power Rangers and Transformers, and to a lesser degree Star Wars.

I suspect the 2.5" line, although I personally have no interest in it, will be a help to Sigma Six on the whole. I just hope it doesn't supplant the 8" line, which I do enjoy, although based on what was shown at the Convention, Hasbro does have some good plans for that, and it looks to include new CHARACTERS more than just rehashes of the existing ones with new accessory sets.

I am concerned that splitting the line between two such drastic sizes could be a mistake, but if Sigma Six can survive that, and if they can get away from infinite Dukes and Snake-Eyes, and bring in more characters to the 8" line, I think Sigma Six will continue to prosper as well as any action figure line can expect to these days.

Dreadnok4life
07-04-2006, 05:24 AM
Does anybody on this board care if S6 survives or not? I love the 3 3/4" line and the characters but I have no interest in S6. I bought a few of the figures but S6 has not caught my imagination at all. I wouldn't care if the line died. What does everyone else think?

2LT VIPER
07-04-2006, 09:33 AM
I only care about the line as so far as it does support GI JOE. I do not wish the name to take a hit. I really am not into the line. IT is too big and not real enough. The big weapons are silly. At least with the little ones I can buy some custome guns from Maurauder Gun Runner and outfit my joes with realistic weapons.

utrom
07-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Does anybody on this board care if S6 survives or not? I love the 3 3/4" line and the characters but I have no interest in S6. I bought a few of the figures but S6 has not caught my imagination at all. I wouldn't care if the line died. What does everyone else think?

I care sigma 6 is doing things that the 3 3/4" could not do no offense to the 3 3/4" collecters. See I like them because they have gimmicks to the toys now. I use to collect the 3 3/4", then I saw sigma 6 and I like what the were doing. :cool:

CrazyBones
07-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Taking a step back from our own opinions, let’s take a look at the market and what Hasbro has done thus far.....

Hasbro announced it was discontinuing the 3.75 line and coming out with Sigma 6. However, they decided to keep the 3.75’s alive (barely) by going Direct to Consumer, which suggests two things: they listen to their fan base, who was screaming in agony at hearing the 3.75’s where disappearing from store shelves and they may not have been totally sold on if the S6 was going to hold its own.

It’s almost as if Hasbro was keeping the 3.75’s on reserve in case things didn’t go well. They didn’t have to dedicate a ton of resources to supporting them but at the same time its still there if they need to go back to it.

Now that the S6 line has been launched and has had time on the shelves to show Hasbro what it can do, it apparently isn’t performing as well as hoped. We can see this by the reports of them sitting on the shelves across the US as well as Hasbro going back to selling the 3.75’s directly through Toys R Us. This may be a sign that Hasbro has some doubts on the future of the S6 line and in my opinion, it’s only a matter of time before we 3.75’s fully introduced back into the market place.

gunslingercbr
07-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Now that the S6 line has been launched and has had time on the shelves to show Hasbro what it can do, it apparently isn’t performing as well as hoped. We can see this by the reports of them sitting on the shelves across the US as well as Hasbro going back to selling the 3.75’s directly through Toys R Us. This may be a sign that Hasbro has some doubts on the future of the S6 line and in my opinion, it’s only a matter of time before we 3.75’s fully introduced back into the market place.
I don't know how you can make the assumption that DTC went to TRU because Sigma 6 isn't selling well. it is just as likely, if not more likely, that DTC wasn't selling well, thus Hasbro sent them to TRU to boost their sales. I don't think Sigma 6 had anyting to do with DTC figures at TRU, though it is more likely that strong Sigma 6 sales encouraged Hasbro of the brand strength of G.I. Joe at retail so they sent DTC out as well to capitalize on that.

my point is that it is dishonest and bias to jump to your conclusion.

Viper Commander
07-04-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't know how you can make the assumption that DTC went to TRU because Sigma 6 isn't selling well. it is just as likely, if not more likely, that DTC wasn't selling well, thus Hasbro sent them to TRU to boost their sales. I don't think Sigma 6 had anyting to do with DTC figures at TRU, though it is more likely that strong Sigma 6 sales encouraged Hasbro of the brand strength of G.I. Joe at retail so they sent DTC out as well to capitalize on that.

It is rude to state that someone is dishonest for stating what he observed and analyzing the situation in his own way. You might not agree with him, but it doesn't make him dishonest. ;)

CrazyBones
07-04-2006, 05:51 PM

WOW....lets not make it personal. If you disagree, so be it.

gunslingercbr
07-04-2006, 09:19 PM
It is rude to state that someone is dishonest for stating what he observed and analyzing the situation in his own way. You might not agree with him, but it doesn't make him dishonest. ;)

I have no problem with that, and I would have stuck with only biased but a comment such as "it apparently isnít performing as well as hoped" is dishonest, unless he has some sort of proof to back that up. such a statement isn't a matter of opinion or analysis, it is an absolute statement regarding something that is either true or false. either sales are fine or not, and if they are the comment is inherently dishonest. by all indication, sales are fine, so making such a statement merely to support your own biased position, without evidence to support it and in the face of evidence that disputes it, is without merit and dishonest. this isn't a personal attack, CrazyBones, so please don't take it that way. perhaps you simply mis-spoke, or mis-typed in this matter. :)

CGC
07-04-2006, 09:27 PM
A thread could be misunderstood by somebody no matter how clear it might seem to anybody else. Whether that's what happened here or not, lets just drop any name calling or finger pointing & get back on topic.

gunslingercbr
07-04-2006, 09:51 PM
A thread could be misunderstood by somebody no matter how clear it might seem to anybody else. Whether that's what happened here or not, lets just drop any name calling or finger pointing & get back on topic.
or perhaps I am just overly-sensitive to Sigma 6 bashing, even though I do not collect the line or have any type of interest in it at all. so, I'll apologize.

that being said, I don't think Sigma 6 is a flop at all. it may not be a runaway hit like RAH was back in the day, but it doesn't have to be pretended to be a flop by RAH collectors so that they can feel better about their line. the better any Joe line does the better it is for the brand, and ultimately better for RAH.

The Buffalo Soldier
07-13-2006, 06:46 AM
Does anybody on this board care if S6 survives or not?

I don't particularly care either way... I don't see the success or failure of S6 as relevant at all to the return of the GI Joes which I actually collect. I care a lot more about whether or not the DTC survives, because ultimately I see that as the avenue by which 12" Hasbro GI Joe will likely return. Most of my GI Joe collection is 12" although I do have a lot of the smaller Joes too. I haven't bought any Sigma Six toys, because they don't really look like GI Joes to me. They are just too unrealistic looking. The only one I've even considered potentially buying is the Sky Bat, because it kinda looks like a Micronauts toy.

Tejano Country Viper
08-31-2006, 11:57 PM
...2.5 scale figs work with large vehicles that transform to robots and back.

Probably more than meets the eye, I dunno.

skinny
09-01-2006, 08:23 PM
...2.5 scale figs work with large vehicles that transform to robots and back.

Probably more than meets the eye, I dunno.

As long as Hasbro doesnt put out a Vamp/Clutch like the Luke/Xwing and releases a Optimus Prime Hawk two pack I say go for it !

Back on subject though I used to work with employees at TRU and Target both say the S6 stuff just keeps coming in, so it must be selling and Target ran out during their sale last week.

The new assortment disappears quickly i was lucky to get the ONLY Destro today (yay me!)

cutter27
09-02-2006, 01:58 PM
I care a lot more about whether or not the DTC survives, because ultimately I see that as the avenue by which 12" Hasbro GI Joe will likely return. Most of my GI Joe collection is 12" although I do have a lot of the smaller Joes too. I haven't bought any Sigma Six toys, because they don't really look like GI Joes to me. They are just too unrealistic looking. The only one I've even considered potentially buying is the Sky Bat, because it kinda looks like a Micronauts toy.

Hear hear! :)

I pretty much only give a rat's backside about RAH from 1982 to 1990 and 1997 to 2001 for my own purposes, and I've got nothing but love for the 12" line that started this thing, but I just don't care for this new line. They're quite angular, extremely out of proportion, and very anime-ish (and I hate anime). I think they're performing adequately for Hasbro to keep the line going, but I still think they're probably disappointed it's not the runaway hit that the 12" and 3.75" lines were when they debuted. That being said, I think they're keeping the 3.75" line in reserve and will eventually re-introduce it, either to capitalize on the strength of the brand if S6 grows from mediocre to decent, or to cover up if it fails.

Personally, I don't see it lasting much longer since they can't decide what scale to go with....... :(

cobraferret
09-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Here is my opinion.
I never saw a kid buy any of the sigma 6 line and I have been to alot of stores.Just last week at toys"r"us I saw a kid pass up sigma 6 and go to the 3 3/4" elite forces line and then on to the dtc.
I Have had kids ask me questions about the 3 3/4" and where to get them.I think that sigma 6 isn't a total flop(because of us joe collectors not the kids)
I personally want more dtc and the like,but that is my opinion.

GI Steevy
09-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Here is my opinion.
I never saw a kid buy any of the sigma 6 line and I have been to alot of stores.Just last week at toys"r"us I saw a kid pass up sigma 6 and go to the 3 3/4" elite forces line and then on to the dtc.
I Have had kids ask me questions about the 3 3/4" and where to get them.I think that sigma 6 isn't a total flop(because of us joe collectors not the kids)
I personally want more dtc and the like,but that is my opinion.
Isolated instances do not reflect a national trend.

Keep in mind the core reason said kid might have even cared about 3.75 toys was the fact you have a tRU available that carries it. On a national level, 3.75 figures are basically GONE from a majority of markets (Target canned their Elite Force line, and I've heard of many Walmarts getting rid of Corps), the only GI JOe widely available is Sigma Six.

And in regards to it, I've seen solid sales in my area, unlike most lines, the Dragonhawk is the only "high end toy" to not have ANY overstock. Cybertron Primus, Cars sets, SWTF Falcon, Power Ranger Playsets are all overstocked (ie, bunch of it is on the top risers), but I see the Dragonhawk regularly fluctuate between 1-3 units at a given point.

And again, what one person sees on a local level does not reflect actual results, I'm sure there are plenty of areas that have LOTS of Dragonhawks. The only way to tell if a line is successful or not is by its support by the company that makes it.

And I can guarantee that collectors are NOT keeping Sigma Six alive

Tejano Country Viper
09-04-2006, 02:30 AM
1. I bought the Dragonhawk and the Firebat. Completely unrealistic designs, but what the heck, if you are into Joes for the realism, then that's one **** of a reality! :)

2. I will be getting the black Cobra Commander and Zartan. Plus, as some here have discovered, the Aero BAT and Ninja BAT make great mecha fodder for the 3.75 Cobra forces.

3. I like the Ninja Armor Snake Eyes.

neoviper76
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
The stores i've hit in and out of my area are hit or miss with the Sigma Six line. Some are chock full of figs(the same ones on the same peg each time you go) and some stores are having to restock constantly. I have a buddy of mine who works stock part time at a Target in my area and he says they have great sales in the line from both adults and kids. I just picked up my first today........and now plan on getting more. They are growing on me.

cobraferret
09-11-2006, 12:41 AM
They are growing on me too,but the price still hasn't