I broke down, bought my FIRST Sigma 6 figure (oppinions from a die hard 3 3/4 fan)... [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : I broke down, bought my FIRST Sigma 6 figure (oppinions from a die hard 3 3/4 fan)...

yojoebro82
07-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Figure: Storm Shadow. Thought long and hard about who I wanted my FIRST S6 fig to be. It was between him, Long Range, Spirit, or CC. SS was a good choice.

Plus: High quality plastic, solid construction, good articulation.
I've read some complaints about the fabric clothing that is given to some S6 charactors. I don't know why this is. I've ALWAYS loved it when my figs got real CLOTH capes over molded plastic ones, SS's pants and belt really work well, the guy looks sharp.
TONS of weapons! The fact that the box turns into a storage crate is great. Lots of ways to combine/ mix and match his weapons (remeniscent of early 3 3/4 days!) You can get a LOT of playability out of this guy.

Minus: I can't get his legs to spread which would be good for ninja poses. Now granted, I don't know if he's capable of that or not 'cause I don't know what the joints look like down there. Yes, I HAVE NOT taken off his pants. Thank you.
Japanimation-ish face. Not as noticable on Stormy, but I can't help wondering how they would be if they toned down the cartoony look just a little. (note, I just say FACE, the bodies are fine).
$15.00

Overall: After buying this toy and testing it out myself, I don't see why haters hate! It's a completely different toy line based on a few GI Joe charactors. Can't replace 3 3/4 inch in my book, but as a fan of toys and a fin of Joes, it holds up. I wouldn't buy them all but I'd buy another.

utrom
07-12-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm glad you like your 8" sigma 6 Storm Shadow. I bought the whole line so far and yes his legs do spread as long as the pants is off the toy. So far I like all the toys because I can change the weapons to different joe's and some weapons can change to other type of weapons for different mission or in this case a different way to play with them. I can not wait for the new joe's to come out. I would like to see what else Hasbro come up with weapons wise for the upcoming joe's.;) :D

GI Steevy
07-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Storm Shadow's legs do, er, spread, his hips have ball joints, but most of mine are STIFF ball joints so it might take some work, plus the pants might be restricting movement.

I'd also recommend a look at the 2.5 Vehicle line, but not the basic sets, go for anything with a vehicle (thunderwave is good for wave 1, but wave 2 has a couple fantastic mechs coming)

Dakemesh
07-12-2006, 02:11 PM
My chief complaint about the line (besides being a little too anime) is the spindly leg syndrome - so I really prefer pants on all of them. It masks the stringy little legs, and makes them look more in proportion.

Crimson Guard Jayhawk
07-12-2006, 03:17 PM
The only Sigma 6 I have is tunnel rat. Got him as a freebie at TRU a while back. Have to say I was very impressed by the figure and its playfactor. Won't replace ARAH for me, but if I were still a kid, I have to admit I may have been more interested in them.

frozen_nd
07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
. .

Reptilian Popinjay
07-12-2006, 04:57 PM
I purchased a Sky B.A.T. several months ago and it looks great as a giant COBRA robot surrounded by COBRA Commander V1 and several TRU COBRA Infantry. The CC V1 colors look really good with the COBRA soldier navy blue. It also looks good with V1 Vipers.

jetski333
07-12-2006, 07:01 PM
I too was reticent about S6 but got SS as my 1st then a whole lot of other S6s later. Maybe you should also get the SS w/ Shouri Crossbow, it's really neat!

The Faceless Master
07-12-2006, 07:47 PM
my first was Firefly ~ he is still MOC
that might soon change once the new figures are released in stores
cuz I would have to say they are impressive :cool:

yojoebro82
07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Storm Shadow's legs do, er, spread, his hips have ball joints, but most of mine are STIFF ball joints so it might take some work, plus the pants might be restricting movement.

Yes, I found out this morning when I (***AHEM***) took off his pants and spread his legs. I was afraid to do it when I wrote my little critique because I didn't want to break him and it was late and I was too lazy to pull his pants down.

Go ahead----make fun of me for everything I just said there :)

orionlukteel
07-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Yes, I found out this morning when I (***AHEM***) took off his pants and spread his legs. I was afraid to do it when I wrote my little critique because I didn't want to break him and it was late and I was too lazy to pull his pants down.

Go ahead----make fun of me for everything I just said there :)

I don't know whether to laugh or lock the thread down. ;)

Seriously, though - my son has most of the S6 figures to date, and I can't get over the coolness of the Cobra Commander figure (even with the old school Battle Armor He-Man feature).

Congratulations on taking your first step into a larger world. Literally. :D

Dreadnok4life
07-15-2006, 03:22 AM
I have four of them so far. Stormie, Snakes Eyes, Kamakura and Tunnel Rat. As much as I hate to admit it, they are awesome toys. I love the 3 3/4" line, but I have to give props to the 8" line. I'm not an anime guy, but they are cool.

Just my .02.

heavy_water
07-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Minus: I can't get his legs to spread

Curiously, my wife has the same problem.

The Lord of Steel
07-20-2006, 03:42 AM
I have one sigma 6 figure. I received it for free from tru.com with some 3.75 stuff I ordered through a fellow-collector.

The figures look great, but I don't buy them. Getting them gives me the feeling I'm buying kids toys, not collector items.

flywheels
07-20-2006, 12:33 PM
The figures look great, but I don't buy them. Getting them gives me the feeling I'm buying kids toys, not collector items.

I thought toys were toys, period.

Oh well, S6 isn't a line I eagerly collect every release - but it has surprised me at how well the figures are made alone with the overall success of the line.

Myself, I love the anime show and I'm looking forward to it being released as a box set on DVD (come on Gonzo/Hasbro!). Toys themselves, I only have a few. First figure bought was Spirit Iron-Knife. Due to space restrictions I sold him off, but that didn't mean I didn't like the toy. His bow was a great weapon! Currently I only have 2, CC and a Ninja-B.A.T.. I'll probably just stick w/ Cobra figures from here on out...but that upcoming Snake-Eyes & Timber looks awfully tempting!

NewKid
07-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Overall: After buying this toy and testing it out myself, I don't see why haters hate! It's a completely different toy line based on a few GI Joe charactors. Can't replace 3 3/4 inch in my book, but as a fan of toys and a fin of Joes, it holds up. I wouldn't buy them all but I'd buy another.

Good review. I don't have any, I don't want any, but I am always interested in hearing others thoughts when it comes to new joe lines. Thanks for sharing.

The Lord of Steel
07-22-2006, 08:50 AM
I just can't buy sigma 6 because of two reasons:

1/ first of all, collecting vintage stuff is a real collecting hobby. for me, collecting joes is like other people collect stamps, etc.

of course, one can "collect" everything.

but for me there is a difference between collecting and just buying.

collecting vintage toys is much more than buying. you want to find a hard-to-find item. you search ebay, etc. to find items for interesting prices. some items were not really wanted 5-10 years ago, but appear to have a certain collection value today. you negotiate with fellow collectors during transactions, etc.

It's a world on its own with its own rules.

I don't believe sigma 6 will ever have the same collectors value as the vintage gijoe stuff. for me (and it's nothing more than a personal feeling; everybody buys the stuff he wants) buying sigma 6 is nothing more than buying stuff. you go to your local shop, buy it, and can look at it. there is no extra dimension to it. there are no challanges.

2/ sigma 6 doesn't bring childhood memories back. i can watch an old sunbow cartoon, because it brings back old memories. watching sigma 6 does not give me that feeling. it's like watching some other new kids cartoon.

Felix
07-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Sigma6 is different, its not 3 3/4, its a seperate toyline but is it related to 3 3/4? Yes. In some ways I would say its much better, in others I would not. Storm Shadow vs 1 1983 sucks. It was a cool figure back then, one of the best, but his Head is too big and his accessories are too small. The Sigma6 Storm Shadow for me is one of the best figures ever made. He looks classic, but he's new. He's articulated extremely well, has loads of weapons and can stand well on his own. Some of the other figures from Sigma6 I find liking that much as well like Heavy Duty, Spirit, and Cobra Commander.

I've been collecting GIJOE since 1982 and 3 3/4 for me is where the heart is at. But plastic doesn't last forever, parts break, get lost and paint wears. For new fans (kids) and even new collectors reminising their childhood this line can work well. You can buy something new that clearly resembles GIJOE and is "fun" to play with and look at. One of my favorite things about the line is how well the figures stand on their own, that has always been lacking in 3 3/4, unless you use Battle Stands, which I despise. 3 3/4 is old skool, its value to me is priceless, its value to a kid or someone who is just starting to collect may not be in that category.

The downside is vehicles. The Ninja Cycle for the 8inch line is a great design, but no way is it the right scale, closer to 12inch and if you do manage to get your Storm Shadow or Snake Eyes to sit on the bike correctly you will realize how out of proportion it is. Now the 4-wheeler Quad looks like a HUGE improvement. But all of that is pretty much done away with by having a 2.5 line. Sad thing is 3 3/4 had vehicles all in one :) Can't beat that.

My chief complaint about the line (besides being a little too anime) is the spindly leg syndrome - so I really prefer pants on all of them. It masks the stringy little legs, and makes them look more in proportion.

I couldn't agree more, the only figure that can really appropiately not wear pants in the Sigma6 Diver Duke and Cobra Commander. I really wish the line started to always come with pants or at the very least make accessory packs that have pants included.

The "Anime" side is interesting. Its what most kids want, whats popular or "in" so it works. And I don't think its too bad or very far off from the 80's cartoon either. Its just different and new and in all honesty, the change in lines is exactly the same as the 12inch line felt about 3 3/4. Funny how history repeats itself. At least there will continue to be 3 3/4 online, but in the last decade I have not been impressed with 3 3/4 but for a few exceptions: Some comic packs and the COBRA 6-pack Nightwatch. The heart of my 3 3/4 collection is from the 80's,
I've felt 3 3/4 has been gone for a long time now. But I typically always enjoy whatever is new coming out for GIJOE, and I haven't been happy with 3 3/4 for the most part, so I welcome some things from Sigma6. However, I despise some things such as the new Shipwreck design, they should have made him as a diver and with a Parrot, even if it wasn't Polly, sticking him with a monkey and no pants is a sad site to see.

Nobody should hate anything that comes out, that just means its not for you if you don't like it, so just buy what you like.

stad
07-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Some of them look kind of interesting, but I will not buy them. Just personal choice. Some foreign cars also look interesting to me, but being from Detroit, it'll be a cold day before I have one in my driveway. Again, just a personal choice.

Sure, it's not the same as 3 3/4, but it's not meant to be, and has a different target audience. Of course, interesting design and characters could be interesting to the same target audience in 3 3/4, but Hasbro refuses to believe it. I sat near the children's play area at great length thru the weekend. On Friday, the kids played with Sigma Six almost exclusively. For about an hour, hour and a half. After that, they played with 3 3/4 that Hasbro provided, almost exclusively, for the rest of the weekend. And Hasbro sent quite a mix, previous con figures (including Crimson Vipers), removeable helmet Crimson Guards, VvV figs, and even Cobra Trooper figures from the first TRU release, along with Crimson Command Chopper and HISS IV. Not really scientific market research, I guess, but I know what I saw throughout the weekend, regardless of who chooses to believe or not believe it.

In any case, I'm glad a Joe cartoon is on, regardless of the format, and that someone likes it, and that Joe is somewhere on the radar of todays kids.