View Full Version : Ebay and the people that inhabit it

Lody
08-13-2006, 12:59 PM
What is it with people on Ebay that when they receive an item and they claim it is in different condition than you describe that they claim they are going to call the cops? Are peope that stupid???

Super Sport
08-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Some folks will call 911 when the pizza guy takes too long to deliver a large extra cheese, so yes, people are that stupid.

whitedalek
08-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Yes, people are that stupid on ebay. I have in every single auction -

I COMBINE SHIPPING FOR MULTIPLE ITEMS

and I still get a few emails every week asking "do you combine shipping?" It can drive you crazy sometime. Or they just paid for the item (Monday). You ship it (Tuesday). They email you Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning, "my package hasn't arrived yet!" Sheer madness.

Cobraghostship
08-13-2006, 03:28 PM
I always get people that ask how much is the shipping??when in my title it says FREE SHIPPING and in the description it says FREE SHIPPING.:mad:

Urban Saboteur
08-13-2006, 03:53 PM
...Happened with me just recently.. a potential buyer enquired the shipping for an Item I had for auction after I emailed him the quote he then sent me a message a few days later asking how much it would be in his currency.. so I sent him a lonky to a currency converter..
He then replied with a sarcastic comment that the website was good and it didnt help him.. I then told him that he would need to use the converter to convert what quote I gave him a few days ago.. he then emailed me back telling me I'd missed out on a deal cos I couldnt be bothered to type in some numbers to him.. and explained that he'd lost my original quote :confused:
Why go round the houses? Why not just tell me he'd lost it in the second message? :rolleyes:
Anyways it turns out the dude might actually be a visitor to the forums.. Can't wait to see who it is..
NemesisEnforcerFan

samluvsjoes
08-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Hey, I had a guy win an auction from me and at the time I could only ship on Fridays because of my schedule. I noted this in my auctions and I told him in three different e-mails that I would be sending out on Friday (He had won the auction on a Saturday). So, like I said I would, I sent it out on Friday. The next day, I check my Paypal and he has filed a grievance saying that he still hasn't received my items even though we live only one state apart (which wasn't true, since I live in Virginia and he lives in Massachussetts) and that it should not have taken so long for his stuff to get to him from me. So I fill out my side of the story, then e-mail him about how I repeatedly told him that it would be sent out on Friday and that I'd appreciate it if in the future he would e-mail me his grievances before filing a complaint with Paypal. He dropped the complaint, but never responded to my e-mail or left me feedback. So yeah, people are silly.
Sam

gnawgahyde
08-14-2006, 08:35 AM
My personal favorites are the ones who want a different S&H than what is quted in the auction. They win the auction and then say oh I'm not paying the price you listed in the auction. THEN DON"T BID YOU MORON!
I think all of us as sellers have stories about silly people on ebay.

Deadshot
08-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Well I just got three messages from thye same person, three different ways asking if an Eagle Force (mego action figure) shotgun was real or not.

My initial reaction was.. wow are you dumb.. does it look ike an operating shot gun... I just replyed no.. its for an action figure.

Seems I've been getting more and more stupid questions.

Goldbug
08-14-2006, 11:19 PM
My personal favorites are the ones who want a different S&H than what is quted in the auction. They win the auction and then say oh I'm not paying the price you listed in the auction. THEN DON"T BID YOU MORON!
I think all of us as sellers have stories about silly people on ebay.

Hehe yes my friend has those people all the time.
I got a person who seemed to insist on using Paypal even though I clearly state I don't accept it. http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=39982
I didn't know Phoenix was rural. :rolleyes:
Plus sometimes people want me to quote S&H for them even though I use the Ebay shipping calculator.

bluebikerboy1
08-15-2006, 02:49 PM
i get people that ask me what shipping would be for items in my store. i tell them to go through my checkout. thats what its there for. :p

gutstheberserker
08-15-2006, 03:11 PM
My personal favorites are the idiots that have enough time to send me some stupid message about my higher priced AFA or CGC items and say things like "Are you insane?" "Is this a typo?" "People like you are bad for the hobby" These are actual messages I got for items I had listed.

After reporting them to ebay for harassment, I then respond that I try to list my items at or slightly above market based on previous sales with a best offer option. For example, one of these comments came on an item I had listed at $1500, which apparently some guy thought was an insane price. After selling it for only a little less than that via best offer I pointed out to him that maybe I wasn't so crazy after all.

dockingbay97
08-15-2006, 04:27 PM
I have probably listed 10,000 auctions on eBay. I have heard it all. I have had people scream at me for the strangest things. It boils down to people becoming 800 lb gorillas behind their keyboards. They feel invincible because they aren't there seeing you face to face. They will then say the dumbest things they would never have the nerve to tell you in person.

I try to say "whatever" and move on to the next auction but occasionally someone still gets to me.

Cobraghostship
08-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Well I just got three messages from thye same person, three different ways asking if an Eagle Force (mego action figure) shotgun was real or not.

My initial reaction was.. wow are you dumb.. does it look ike an operating shot gun... I just replyed no.. its for an action figure.

Seems I've been getting more and more stupid questions.He probably meant is it original,vs a repo.

thunt4
08-17-2006, 11:03 PM
I just hate when people rush you. A lot of times they pay slow and then they want the box the same day or they think I am online more than they realize. We all have lives and don't sit here all day especially in the summer. I wish people were more understandable.

whitedalek
08-19-2006, 05:52 PM
I have probably listed 10,000 auctions on eBay. I have heard it all. I have had people scream at me for the strangest things. It boils down to people becoming 800 lb gorillas behind their keyboards. They feel invincible because they aren't there seeing you face to face. They will then say the dumbest things they would never have the nerve to tell you in person.

I try to say "whatever" and move on to the next auction but occasionally someone still gets to me.

You are my new hero, Dock. I feel exactly the same way. I shrug off most irritants (10+ years of owning your own shop will help you develop a thick skin), but once in awhile, some person will really aggravate me. People on the net are like Mr. Walker and Mr. Wheeler from the Disney cartoon about Goofy driving. Mr. Walker is nice and meek, but when he gets behind the wheel, he becomes a power-mad and speed-obsessed jerk, Mr. Wheeler. Face to face, those people are nicer and pleasant, but behind the safety of the monitor, they become total jerks who's biggest thrill is to drive your blood pressure up! :mad:

John Missal
08-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Then there's people like you whitedalek...nice on the board, but a real jerk in person.... hehe....

Actually, I've found that most people here are just like they are on the board in person. I little dorky and a little mad (mental, not angry) and we're all one big happy family.

As for Ebay. I just had a guy ask me what shipping would be to "Isreal (Middle East)". I responded stating, as listed in the auction, I do not ship to South America or the Middle East, only Europe, North Am, Au and Asia.

He replied stating that Isreal is in Asia and he only put Middle East to let me know where he was. I pointed out to him that according to Ebay's listing criteria, Isreal/Middle East is a separate entity from Asia/Far East. And no matter what he calls it, I don't ship there.

Probably thought I was a stupid American...I'm actually an informed American, thus I don't want to ship there.

John M.

whitedalek
08-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Then there's people like you whitedalek...nice on the board, but a real jerk in person.... hehe....

Oh, it's on!!!! I'll see you at the Florida get-together! :D

*starts planning complicated ambush of John's huge GI Joe caravan*