Sigma 6 Shipwreck [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Sigma 6 Shipwreck

GI Trekker
09-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Latest G.I.Joe Collectors' Club Newsletter has some artwork for the forthcoming Sigma Six Shipwreck. Apparently they will be two versions, one with a sweater and one shirtless with MASSIVE tattoos down both arms. Honestly, it's comparable to WWE wrestler The Undertaker's -- ornamentation.

I've never minded the small tattoos on the 3-3.4" G.I.Joes, but there's a degree to which this level of it bugs me, as I've never understood why anyone would want to be tattooed, and most tattoos are pretty hideous in my opinion. I juuust don't get it at all.

And, at the risk of sounding really tedious about it, I'm not sure that this level of tattoos is appropriate for a child's toy.

Having said that, the tattoo artwork looks extremely intricate. I've run a thread on another Joe message board about this, and someone commented that they believe Hasbro hired an actual tattooist to design the patterns -- and it looks it. It'll be interesting to see how well Hasbro can pull this off, especially given ongoing concerned with the neatness of their paint applications. I realize that we're talking two different procedures here, but if they can do this, and spend the money on it, then maybe they should be spending some money on proper paint-masks, too.

One aspect of one tattoo, though. It says "R.I.P. POLLY". Okay, that's a bit of a bummer. Parrots are generally pretty long-lived animals. I doubt this was a natural death. Hasbro wants to give Shipwreck a monkey, fine, but why kill the bird?

One other bit of continuity. He has a list of women's names on the other arm, including Lady Jaye and Scarlett. I'm real sure Flint and Snake-Eyes appreciate that!

Still, I think I'll be content with the "sweatered" version...

zartan15
10-01-2006, 09:35 AM
tell me you got pics? I'd like to see that.

NightViperOne
10-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I found some pics, here, of S6 Shipwreck (http://s6c.joebattlelines.com/toys/joecon_06_gallery/8in_Sold_Future/index2.htm) and a v2 S6 Firefly (http://s6c.joebattlelines.com/toys/joecon_06_gallery/8in_Sold_Future/index2.htm). The Shippe is only the sweater-clad version, but it still looks pretty cool to me.

-Jim

sithviper
10-01-2006, 08:50 PM
I find it kinda funny he has a gold tooth

neoviper76
10-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Im diggin that Firefly......Shipwreck looks great too.

Dakemesh
10-02-2006, 01:07 AM
I hate to say it, but until I see pics of this tatooed version I call shennanigans. I'll apologize in advance though in the hopes that it's real, b/c it'd be pretty darn cool. I think it's good to think that maybe Polly died in service; heavens knows I wanted to shoot him enough. They did an alright job on Storm Shadow's big ol' chest dragon, so I'd say this is possible.

As for your personal preference about tatoos and the people that have them, the wonderful thing is - you don't have to get one and someone else having one isn't going to hurt you! :D :D

CGC
10-02-2006, 01:53 AM
snip...

And, at the risk of sounding really tedious about it, I'm not sure that this level of tattoos is appropriate for a child's toy.

snip...
Well, the upper of my body is just about half covered in ink. I have 3 kids, 11 nieces & nephews, & my wife is a daycare provider - which means I have to pass a background check annually for her to keep her license. None of them seem to have been corrupted by my choice of adornment. No big deal though, some people don't realise how much their view of the world can be influenced by baseless stereotypes. Unless anything vulgar has been added, I don't think that paint apps on an action figure are likely to have any negative impact on kids.

GI Trekker - Obviously we don't have the same opinion on tattoos, that's just the way it is. Don't infer that I'm attacking your point of view, I'm just pointing out that there may be room for a wider view.

snip...

As for your personal preference about tatoos and the people that have them, the wonderful thing is - you don't have to get one and someone else having one isn't going to hurt you! :D :D
;) - bingo!

snip...
One other bit of continuity. He has a list of women's names on the other arm, including Lady Jaye and Scarlett. I'm real sure Flint and Snake-Eyes appreciate that!
snip...
This is a parody of a Norman Rockwell print. It was done somewhat tongue-in-cheek, with a nod to the stereotype that many sailors have tattoos. I agree, though, that adding Lady Jaye and Scarlett to that list may not have been the most well-thought decision.

As far as the "R.I.P. POLLY", that is a little weird. I don't know if it's ever been said what type of bird Polly is, but he looks like some kind of Amazon (I have parrots of my own). If he is, his life span should've been in the ballpark of 50 years.

DPrime
10-03-2006, 07:32 PM
I think the "RIP Polly" thing is a nice nod to RAH, although I'd rather they have kept him (her?).

As far as tattoos in general go... Well, I pretty much have to disagree. What exactly are you "protecting" them from? There's a whole lot worse out there, man.

Looking forward to seeing the other Shipwreck. That Firefly is ALMOST perfect... I hope they release one a bit more RAH-ish, but this is a step in the right direction!

Bigtattoo
10-05-2006, 05:58 PM
For once, Im really excited about an S6 release. For obvious reasons Im a bg tat fan and, like Jim, have a fair amount of coverage.
Ive long wanted to see sleeves (and other substantial tats) on the 3 3/4 line but this will suffice.
Also- I really dig the new Firefly. I loved the idea he was a Joe who defected and this 2nd sculpt looks great.

neoviper76
11-03-2006, 07:01 PM
I want a tatted Shipwreck!!!!!! I like this version of him better than the clean cut sailor version of the ARAH line. Never dug that figure back in the day.

sithviper
11-04-2006, 05:39 AM
I want a tatted Shipwreck!!!!!! I like this version of him better than the clean cut sailor version of the ARAH line. Never dug that figure back in the day.

Version 1 (http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/85images/shipwreck.shtml) had a tattoo on his right fore arm

Dakemesh
02-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, I'll be the first to offer up an apology for doubting! Looked at Shipwreck's tats, and sure 'nuff he's got Scarlett and Lady Jaye's names (in addition to Lola, Violet and Sonora) scratched off on his left arm. I never would've thought they'd do something like that! :eek::D

Don't see any "RIP Polly" though. He's got a hula girl, a seabee and a ship, and a fish (as well as the "conquests" listing).

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7341/shipwreckconquests2ha9.jpg

MacGyver
02-03-2007, 06:43 PM

Well, Shipwreck wasn't exactly clean cut compared to the other Joes of the ARAH days if you keep things in context. I'd have to see this "other version" but I'm not sure I'm gonna like it any better than the current version. I just don't know if I'm sold. I just wanna know what's up with the light brown hair? He's always had black/dark brown hair! Maybe once I got him and fixed the hair, I'd be happier with it... LOL...of course in our house it'd be a *gasp!!!* toy anyway instead of a shelf sitter.

And, what's with the monkey...it looks rabid. A smuch as I disliked Polly, I like the monkey a lot less!

neoviper76
02-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Man I wish I could find a Shipwreck!!!!!!!!!! So far the only newer one Ive gotten is Firefly.

misterd
02-04-2007, 12:29 AM

I'm not a tatoo person at all. I think there are some people who can pull them off, but I think most of them take away more than they give. Butthat's strictly personal aesthetics.

As a teacher, I see more and more tats every year. In many areas, attitudes about them has changed dramatically over the past decade. **** even my mom got a tatoo last year (which I tease her about mercilessly). Given that, plus the fact that sailors and tatoos go together like pizza and superbowl parties, I don't see it as much of a problem.

dfunk7
02-13-2007, 01:13 AM
i was at walmart today and picked up the shipwreck along with the firefly, they are both awesome, and i did happen to get the tatted shipwreck, the only reason why i got it was because of this post and now im happy i did he is really kewl, just wondering if i should take him out of the box or not