Where are the women? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Where are the women?

nosajnnyl
10-23-2006, 09:46 AM
I may have missed this in a previous thread, but I've noticed that there have been no hints as to when we will see the females characters from S6 released. Granted I have seen shots of the 2.5" Baroness & Scarlett. Maybe I'm just a little anxious, but the wait is killing me:D .

dockingbay97
10-23-2006, 11:33 AM
I can't remember but someone asked at either this past Joe con or last Feb at Toy Fair and Hasbro didn't show any interest in making 8" female characters - something along the line that they would be perceived as dolls by kids.

I could be completely wrong though.

nosajnnyl
10-23-2006, 11:59 AM
That really sucks. If that's true then that'll put serious hurt on anyone wanting to have a collection with Cobra High Command (self included).

Reptilian Popinjay
10-24-2006, 12:35 PM
If Sigma Six goes on for another couple of years I can see them making Scarlett and Jinx. The Baroness I think has less of a chance.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did the females in a re-issue/repaint 2-pack with a male character released around Christmas 2007:

Duke and Scarlett
Snake Eyes and Jinx
Destro and Baroness

Around here, the Sigma 6 stuff actually sells well. The big stuff, anyway (the 2.5 stuff peg/shelf warms), AND any character that is "new" and not a redone character in a different outfit is gone in 2 days. Our TRU has a couple of Long Ranges on the pegs and NOTHING else in the 8" series.

statesofeuphoria
10-24-2006, 10:18 PM
All they would have to do is re-tool Tunnel Rats chest (since he has a smaller build) and add breasts and a basic female body is made. Give us a nicely sculpted face with rooted hair, change the boots and I'm there. They could do it as a mail in to test the waters, I wouldn't care. I just want Scarlett and the Baroness.

DPrime
11-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I hope they end up doing them at some point - I would LOVE a nicely sculpted Baroness to go with my Cobras, especially if she came with some nice accessories (a big 1984-inspired sniper rifle would be a great start!).

Scarlett, maybe... And Jinx probably not. I generally prefer the Sigma Six Cobra figures, because the designs are pretty nice, and look a lot like their RAH counterparts, which I like.

MikePrime
11-09-2006, 02:13 PM
There will be a 2.5" Scarlet figure that comes with the Sigma 6, R.H.I.N.O. helicopter.

Red Dragon
12-14-2006, 03:22 AM
I would like them to do the females as well as the males, it completes the ranks that way.

samluvsjoes
12-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Isn't it funny how back when we were kids, Hasbro said female figures wouldn't sell and yet they did and were popular, and today Hasbro is saying the same thing?
Sam

misterd
01-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Isn't it funny how back when we were kids, Hasbro said female figures wouldn't sell and yet they did and were popular, and today Hasbro is saying the same thing?
Sam

They may have been popular, but they didn't sell that well since there were not that many made.

For the record, the designers have planned out a Scarlett figure in the (currently futile) hope that Hasbro will give the green light. Supposedly they are going to look closely at the sales of the 2.5 females.

When the line first started, there were many things we were told wouldn't happen. We wouldn't get characters not on the show, but now we have Shipwreck and Wet Suit. We wouldn't get many Cobras in a wave, but the last wave had 3. We would get a lot of retools rather than new molds... which we did, but Duke's going on hiatus and of the last 15 Commandos (including the next 6), 9 of them are new molds.

All the stuff that wasn't going to happen early in the series life has started to come to pass. This is largely due to its success. The "won't"s were ways to keep the costs down and maximize sales using minimal molds. Now that the line is doing well they are getting bolder. The last threshold they have to cross now are the females.

Red Sox
01-17-2007, 10:48 AM
I doubt that we'll see one, but I would like to get a S6 Baroness. (Not the 2.5" mini-statue kind)

MacGyver
01-17-2007, 11:57 AM
I could see concern with the girls not selling as well as the guys, but I think in a relatively small product line like S6 8" they'd be successful. In the original line...yeah, I imagine what few females there were got lost in the shuffle with the large amounts of characters available. I'm no toy historian, but also consider that very likely the 80s figures were really one of the first attempts to make a female action figure. I can't think of any before that... Well, maybe in the He-man stuff. But I think the girls would sell now. I know my kid wants the Baroness!

misterd
01-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I could see concern with the girls not selling as well as the guys, but I think in a relatively small product line like S6 8" they'd be successful. In the original line...yeah, I imagine what few females there were got lost in the shuffle with the large amounts of characters available. I'm no toy historian, but also consider that very likely the 80s figures were really one of the first attempts to make a female action figure. I can't think of any before that... Well, maybe in the He-man stuff. But I think the girls would sell now. I know my kid wants the Baroness!

The thing is the 3.75 figs were much cheaper to make, so they could turn a profit with fewer sales. The 8 inch figs with their accessories are much more expensive to produce (from design to mold to factory to shelf), and thus have less tolerance for lower sales.