View Full Version : How to ID replica vintage SW Accessories?

Druss
10-30-2006, 09:01 PM
I have a small selection of vintage SW accessories and I've heard plenty about the replica ones and was curious if there is any way to tell which ones are real and which ones are fake.

orionlukteel
10-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Easiest way to tell are seams in the casting. Excessive flashing is an easy telltale sign, but it's rare you get CLEARLY excessive flashing. I had a repro lightsaber for the POTF R2-D2 that had just a TINY bit of flashing and an obvious seam. It's long gone, or I'd take a pic.

Best way to tell is to compare to a known original, though that's often difficult to do with the harder-to-find accessories.

A lot of the repros are harder plastic and have a shinier finish to them. That's the case for the guns, not the lightsabers. Most of the repro sabers I've seen have a dull finish close to the originals.

Deadshot
10-31-2006, 06:19 AM
another way to tell, from what I have been told. Is to see if they float. If they do they are original if not repros.

whether or not there is any validity to this I don't know.

Druss
10-31-2006, 08:52 AM
I'll give it a shot at least, thanks Deadshot.

The ones I have all seem to be a bit soft which led me to believe they were fake but doesn't sound like thats the case.