like the series or not? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : like the series or not?

Deathstroke
11-20-2006, 02:27 PM
to tell the truth, I don't quite like Sigma Six. i think it's alittle too far from being officially G I Joe, and it has too much anime work for my tastes. anybody else agree?

nosajnnyl
11-20-2006, 03:07 PM
It's ok. Nothing ground breaking, but there is a certain charm to it. Can't really explain it, but I find myself watching it almost every Sat. Maybe is because I've watched too much Yu-Gi-Oh & Pokemon with my kids. :D

Reptilian Popinjay
11-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I like it well enough to have recorded this season's episodes. It's definitely better than Valor Vs. Venom. Of course, filming a dog turd drying in the hot sun would have been better than VvV.

I like anime much more than CGI. So the visual style of the show is very appealing to me. I also like the design of the characters. The show is far more sci-fi than military, though, and that's...different if not necessarily disappointing. It's also very de-Americanized, which I'm sure was done to make it more appealing to other markets, but how do you de-Americanize GIJoe!? Very rarely are the "Joes" referred to as GIJoe, usually they are called Sigma 6.

It's good to see COBRA portrayed as a competent enemy and COBRA Commander in particular is a lot more sinister than he has been in years. The series has room to grow. With the nostalgia element removed, it's easily as good as a lot of the Sunbow episodes from the 1980's. The voice acting is good, the animation is very good, there's a decent balance of action and plot development, the scripts are not absurd and dumbed-down like Valor Vs. Venom was, and there so far have been no outrageous "fantasy" plot elements like Egyptian gods or Cobra-La. Episodes featuring Hawk's annoying little son and that stupid robot dog and Tunnel Rat's antics have been the worst, but that was more last season.

TheReverend
11-20-2006, 05:17 PM
I’m actually a big fan of (good) Anime; there are many great Anime series that I really dig – Sorry to say IMO Sig6 isn’t even in the same universe as most of Animes I watch (if it had the quality of good Anime series I might like it a lot more)

As it is I just can’t get into it, I keep trying, but just something about it doesn’t gel for me.

It’s not that I think it terribly bad. But there’s just something off about it.

Not sure if it’s because it’s just so different then the carton I grew up with, or if I’m still subconsciously resisting Sig6 because I want the 3 line back, or if deep down inside I just feel Anime and Joes don’t work together, or what.:confused: But I’m just not getting it…

So I guess I’ll just stick with the Sunbow cartoon…

CrazyBones
11-20-2006, 06:00 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree with the folks who have posted thus far. I just can't get into it. I am all for anything G.I. Joe, but the Sigma 6 line holds nothing for me. The toys are well made and may be appealing to children (who they are for) but as a collector, it's too dollish for me and I will just stick with the DTC 3 3/4's.

The anime style cartoon is okay, nothing I will get up early for but will still probably get them on dvd. At least it's something new for G.I. Joe!

dominic.18
11-20-2006, 06:15 PM
i cant get through an entire episode without falling asleep. my kids like the sunbow and dic better than sigma six.

MikePrime
11-20-2006, 08:11 PM
I've seen parts of this new season. Sigma 6 has some pretty good action, but it's just not for me.

MASSDeviceIsMine
11-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I agree with the negatives on this thread...

Sigma 6 - no thank you. If the market wanted anorexic-looking anime style toys, there's always the DC superheroes toy line. I don't see the draw. And to make these wicked vehicles in the 2.5 line with no-articulation mini-figs is kinda mind-boggling. Way to alienate your solid and long-standing customer base by going away from 3 3/4".

I hear that Sigma 6 is selling well in some areas. I do hope for the GI Joe brand that it does well.

The Sigma 6 cartoon is wacked - and exactly like every other anime style cartoon out there - way to set youself apart. My kids prefer the 80's sunbow cartoons that they watch from crappy vhs recordings I did as a kid ;-)

Here's for wishing that some Hasbro big-wig would commission some little animation studio to redo all the 80's cartoons (in the same animation style) with a little bit different 2006 flavour. Remake the toys again and make some money!

But this is all my opinion. I'll hold onto the hope that the cadres of marketing professionals at hasbro stop trying to "re-invent the wheel" and just go with what's proven.

Later! ~ Paul.

markatisu
11-21-2006, 09:17 AM
I like it (but then again I love the DIC series lol), the 1st season was good near the end, but its opening episodes were horrendous (with Scott and the Dog).

The 2nd season has been really good and solid with Firefly turning and the introduction and use of Lt.Stone...that is the saving grace of the show at the moment.

Not really a fan of the animation style, did not like it much in Cybertron and like it even less in GI Joe but I can deal with it.

As has been pointed out, its not VvV so right there its a plus.

freak4ll
11-22-2006, 12:22 PM
I've enjoyed every cartoon series and movie I've seen produced for GI Joe - Sunbow, DIC, Valor vs. Venom - I've loved all of them... except for Sigma Six. I guess it's good to have something being produced for Joes, but I can't except it as Joe cannon the way I can the other cartoons. The characters are lame with no connection to their previous roles. The Tunnel Rat character comes to mind as the most obvious. What a waist of what used to be a cool character from GI Joe the movie and Valor vs. Venom which was true to each character developed from the other series. I could go on about the character defects, but I won't bother. The animation is also annoying for me, but maybe kids like that these days - I don't know, but I can't stand it. It simply doesn't work for GI Joe.

alexeyes
11-25-2006, 01:54 PM
If the market wanted anorexic-looking anime style toys....

We have the same idea .....eat, eat, eat some food sigma6 guys!

my opinion is I like the series but there is too japanese waythinking for me . I don't like too much anime!!! surely I PREFER the 80's old cartoon .
the first aspect who don't like is the replacement of the human soldier of cobra with a stupid robots ! this is an aspect of "politically correct" ( so wrong) because in this mode decrease the violence ( in a good sense...it's a cartoon!!!) and the most dynamic of action hide the loss of violence :p ;) :)

Red Sox
11-28-2006, 11:11 AM
I tried to give the Sigma6 toon a chance, but a few weeks ago I finally canceled my Tivo season pass on it. The voices don't match up with the mouths. Characters are saying words with f's and s's, but all they do is open and close their mouths, there isn't any effort to make it look like they are actually speaking real words. I also thought there was way too much focus on High Tech and all the computer techno-babble. I'm sure computers and technology are more important to today's military than it was in the '80s, but every plot and every battle in the Sigma 6 series revovles around High Tech babbling to himself about "the system" this and "the computer" that. If the computer breaks down, the Joes are helpless. Don't they still have guns, knives, fists, etc. ?

CGC
11-28-2006, 12:11 PM
I watched most, well, over half of the first season, but really never got into it - I haven't seen anything at all of it this year. Honestly, I can't discern between good & bad anime, either way it's just not my thing.

It does seem to be doing fairly well, though. Most kids I've mentioned it to do like it a lot, & they are the target market for the S6 line. Really, the way the current S6 line is split into two scales is pretty darn close to what Hasbro was aiming for when our 3" Joes came out in '82. The 12" Joes & 8" Super Joes were lines that focused on the figures, there were larger accs, but they weren't the driving force of the line. ARAH was scaled down to roughly 1:18 in order to make vehicles & play sets more reasonable, & those vehicles were intended to be the highlights of the line. Hasbro just didn't expect their super-articulated figures to be such a hit, & they stole the show anyway.

:rolleyes: Anyway, back to the topic. I think this cartoon is moderately successful. Many kids do enjoy it, especially since it's being done in the anime style that is currently popular with them. It's drawn enough interest that Hasbro is actually able to produce decent lines in two different scales, one focused on figures that are very detailed & even more articulated than our 3" - the 8" figs, & the second line focusing on affordable vehicles & play-sets - the 2" line. Since the cartoon is probably the best advertising for the line, & I would guess that's the main reason most cartoons are made, the fact that it's keeping Joes alive & creating interest in them for this generation, I'll give it a thumbs up (whether I like the dumb show or not :p ).

alexeyes
11-28-2006, 02:15 PM
every plot and every battle in the Sigma 6 series revovles around High Tech babbling to himself about "the system" this and "the computer" that. If the computer breaks down, the Joes are helpless. Don't they still have guns, knives, fists, etc. ?[/quote]

that's right:( :( :( I hope to return on their steps

Additionaly In my country there isn't any sign of G.I. Joes existence...I'M SICK:mad: and the only way to remeber it is to see sigma6......( thannks E-mule)

where I can find the old season ...plese help me!!!

CGC
11-28-2006, 05:21 PM
snip...
where I can find the old season ...plese help me!!!
This might help (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_3/104-9188798-1257513?ie=UTF8&keywords=gi%20joe&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Agi%20joe%2Ci%3Avhs&page=1). Good Luck!

YELSEW
12-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I watch the episode, but it really isn't that great (at least to me). My nephew loves it though, because of the Anime' and he buys the figures. He says everyone has them. He is 9.

Cobra-Loyalist
12-04-2006, 03:45 PM
to tell the truth, I don't quite like Sigma Six. i think it's alittle too far from being officially G I Joe, and it has too much anime work for my tastes. anybody else agree?

I agree completely, ..although I do remember enjoying 1 episode. :D

zartan15
12-04-2006, 06:44 PM
I like the figures. they're cool, and the accessories are great. Don't like the toon much. Pretty forgetable.

psycho_klown66
12-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Sigma looks like a bunch of kids running around...

The orignal GiJoe looks like adult soldiers getting attacked by COBRRRAAAAA !!!

Dakemesh
12-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Like the new He-man, Sigma 6 is one of these lines whose toys are, IMO, far superior to the actual show/cartoon models. I can't stand the show, and think the animated versions look like more of the same japanime crap, but most of the figures look really good (if somewhat anorexic).

I just picked up Zartan (finally), and he's the bees' knees man. I can't wait for Shipwreck.

harkonnen0069
12-12-2006, 04:15 AM
I agree with the negatives on this thread...

Sigma 6 - no thank you. If the market wanted anorexic-looking anime style toys, there's always the DC superheroes toy line. I don't see the draw. And to make these wicked vehicles in the 2.5 line with no-articulation mini-figs is kinda mind-boggling. Way to alienate your solid and long-standing customer base by going away from 3 3/4".

I hear that Sigma 6 is selling well in some areas. I do hope for the GI Joe brand that it does well.

The Sigma 6 cartoon is wacked - and exactly like every other anime style cartoon out there - way to set youself apart. My kids prefer the 80's sunbow cartoons that they watch from crappy vhs recordings I did as a kid ;-)

Here's for wishing that some Hasbro big-wig would commission some little animation studio to redo all the 80's cartoons (in the same animation style) with a little bit different 2006 flavour. Remake the toys again and make some money!

But this is all my opinion. I'll hold onto the hope that the cadres of marketing professionals at hasbro stop trying to "re-invent the wheel" and just go with what's proven.

Later! ~ Paul.

Well, bro you have to change with the times! I'm 24 years old and I loved the cartoons of the 80's and I picked them up on DVD so I can watch them anytime, but you just should not be stuck in the past. Change is good. Different is good. To be successful, Hasbro had to go with what sells today. If they tried to do it in 80's style it would totally flop and disappoint. It would NEVER be the same. Ever. Let's just enjoy our old 80's toons and embrace the future as well. Believe it or not, you can love both you just have to be open. Anime is great, animation is great and there is such a variety of styles! Just enjoy them and try not to be a purist. Well, anyways, just something to think about. To each his own. Take care.

alexeyes
12-12-2006, 06:42 AM
(if somewhat anorexic).

Are too anorexic figures!!! I' m sick because the toons has a different way thinking than the old and amazing toons ( SUNBOW especially!!!)

:mad:

alexeyes
12-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Believe it or not, you can love both you just have to be open.

I don't know what you mean but the problem is not to be a open or purist!!!
the keynote is the new waythinking , so wrong, too politically correct !!!!
why exchange the human troops battle with stupid masses of android troopers? clearly for decrease the violence !!!!!! I' m sick about that !!
Also the new characters are too young!!

Anime is great, animation is great and there is such a variety of styles!

the anime is great for a japanese cartoon not for G.I. Joe!!!

:mad:

Abomb
12-21-2006, 01:55 PM
I got one 8" figure and, as I've mentioned in another thread, it is just like the Resuce Heros by fisher price. Big feet, anarexic, spandex- I realize that what sold in the 80's won't sell anymore, but having nothing would be better than having Sigma 6. And the 3 3/4 inch line was doing fine until they started with that dumb VvV stuff...just like when they started doing neon Joes in the 80's. I think someone at Hasbro has a seruous brain cramp.

seaslug
12-22-2006, 06:20 AM
The toon is not great,but not terrible. Some of the figures are lame but some are pretty cool. I really liked the 2 pack for $5 cleared out at target, destros nice too.The zartan is outstanding though. If they put out more sigma six that capture the spirit of RAH like the zartan did they will get me into it.