Grand Slam! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Grand Slam!

GI Trekker
02-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey, I found Sigma 6 Grand Slam today at a Wal-Mart near me -- the one that's NOT undergoing a major renovation. (That one, by the way, decided to pretty much pick up the entire toy section and move it to another part of the store -- one with narrower aisles and poorer lighting. I walked in and found this big open space where the toy department used to be. Toy collectors' definition of ****, or close enough...)

Anyway, I was quite surprised to find Grand Slam, and a little discouraged that they DIDN'T have Wet-Suit or Shipwreck, both of whom I am also looking forward to.

Other figures in his assortment, which I also saw one each of at Wal-Mart, included Windblade Snake-Eyes, Razor Ninja Storm Shadow, Ninja Flames Kamakura, Frontal Assault Duke, and Camo Long Range. No one I was terribly inclined to pick up, certainly not for the higher price tag.

Grand Slam uses the upper body and arms of Heavy Duty. Not a big deal since the two characters otherwise look so different. The legs are entirely new, and the end result of the color scheme is a figure that looks more "basic soldier" like than any previous Sigma Six figure.

Obviously, using Heavy Duty's upper body, this is a big guy. He comes up just fractionally shorter than Heavy Duty, I think as a result of the new legs, but that still gives him a size that is substantially larger than the average Sigma Six Joe.

The new legs are basically sculpted to look like olive-drab trousers. I'm a little surprised these aren't made from cloth, but perhaps that might've made him look too much like Heavy Duty, or Hasbro's cutting back on the amount of cloth pieces they want to use (although this was one of the higher-priced figures, and some of the other figures in his assortment did have cloth pieces). I really don't know. Grand Slam's boots are probably the most detailed part of the figure. Very fancy looking.

Headsculpt is good, if a little plain, but with Grand Slam, that's almost to be expected. One thing -- if anybody else gets a Grand Slam and opens him? Please check the back of the head (under the helmet) for me. Mine has what looks like a huge scar on the back of his head. If this is a molding defect, then it's the worst I've ever seen. I can fix it, especially since it's on a painted surface like his hair, but SHEESH! The flip side of that is that this seems like an odd place to mold a deliberate scar.

Grand Slam is not easily removed from his package since he is retrained by several twist-ties that cannot be accessed from the back of the package. You've got to separate the interior plastic from the cardboard backing, and that's exactly as much of a pain as it sounds like it would be.

He comes with an impressive weapon that not only fires shells, it ejects the cartridges from them. Cute touch.

He's listed as an "electronics expert" on the file card, which sounds a little odd for a character that looks more like he should be in the category of a Roadblock or a Gung-Ho, but I suppose this is a bit of an acknowledgment of the 3-3/4" Grand Slam's original specialty as the driver of the Heavy Artillery Laser.

One note about the packaging. The upper and lower plastic "shells" that make the weapons storage case are a new color, a sort of almost-metallic silver-grey.

On the whole, a cool figure. I'm still hoping to find Wet-Suit and Shipwreck, soon, but I'm glad to have Grand Slam.

misterd
02-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Funny. Both WM's near me got the soldiers but not the commandos. I'm really itching for that Flaming Ninja Kamakura. Anyway, keep looking. The soldiers are popping up everywhere, and if you've got the commandos, your store must be pretty high up the pipeline right now.

Red Sox
02-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Nice review. Grand Slam doesn't strike me as a big "Heavy Duty" type guy though. Odd choice of character name/design to me, definitely a no-go in my book but hopefully others will enjoy him.

GI Trekker
02-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Funny. Both WM's near me got the soldiers but not the commandos. I'm really itching for that Flaming Ninja Kamakura.

He's extremely -- BLUE. At first I thought he was a Cobra, like some new Storm Shadow variant. Odd color for one named "Ninja Flames..."

Anyway, keep looking. The soldiers are popping up everywhere, and if you've got the commandos, your store must be pretty high up the pipeline right now.

Yeah, the same store where I found Grand Slam had hardly ANY of the less-expensive "Soldier" assortment. Makes me think they did have and sold them out. So -- let's hope. Maybe now that the OTHER Wal-Mart near me has finished moving its entire toy section, it'll get more stuff in.

skinny
02-09-2007, 03:45 PM
our toys r us has i mean had one of each, camo long range gand slam kamakura duke snake eyes and stormy, as well as one assortment of viper pit only got one of that left the other five. u know i certainly hope this is the last of sigma for a bit, With all those 25th figs coming around i dunno if the budget can take it. at least I dont have to buy anything next week unless some joe obsessed female is watching :rolleyes:

neoviper76
02-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Nice find!!!!!!!!! I havent seen Grand Slam yet. I did manage to find the elusive Zartan today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Picked it up real quick.

GI Trekker
02-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Quick update. According to another individual on another message board, that huge scar on the back of Grand Slam's head IS part of the mold. At least his has the exact same scar, do I don't think this can be blamed on TWO random instances of a defect turning out the same way twice.

I'm relieved, since this would've been one rather severe defect and an issue for whatever quality control Hasbro has on these toys to look into, although I almost would've been prepared to write it off as an accident akin to a couple of times in the 80's when I got small vehicles that weren't completely molded. One was missing a fender, another a trailer hitch. This was entirely more severe than just the mold creases that turn up from time to time.

But it still leaves me wondering why Hasbro put an indented scar this big on the back of Grand Slam's head.

samluvsjoes
02-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Nice find!!!!!!!!! I havent seen Grand Slam yet. I did manage to find the elusive Zartan today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Picked it up real quick.

Is Zartan hard to find? I see him now and again, and I think he looks cool, but I don't have a lot of interest in Sigma 6.
Sam