anyone else disappointed w/S6 Shipwreck? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : anyone else disappointed w/S6 Shipwreck?

southpaweddy
02-11-2007, 06:17 PM
hey there, just wanted to know if anyone was diappointed with Shipwreck. i could nitpick about how he doesn;t have a sigma suit and no wrist communicator like all the others do, but that;s neither here no there. my main concern/gripe with him is his lack of proportion. his feet are bigger'n than heavy duty's for pete's sake! guess we don;t have to worry about him blowing over in a hurricane. i just don;t dig the short squat fireplug look for him. i guess it's just me. i thought he should be long and lean like all the other figs have been.

and where's scarlett? will we ever see a scarlett? ever? c'mon she;s been a staple of the joes since their inception in '82. you can't have a team with her.

please and thank you

MacGyver
02-11-2007, 09:15 PM
i just don;t dig the short squat fireplug look for him. i guess it's just me. i thought he should be long and lean like all the other figs have been.

Finally! Someone who doesn't like the short and stocky Shipwreck! :) I haven't gotten him yet...of course, I haven't SEEN him yet outside of the web...but that's my main hang-up. I never thought of Shippy as being overly tall, but I did always think he was the lean and wiry type. I was disappointed that he seems so bulky, like he got pumped up on steroids or something. I know you said his feet are bigger, but how does he over all compare to Heavy Duty? Or the rest of them, for that matter? I don't think I've seen an out of the box photo of him yet, side by side with other figs to compare. Anyone?

That is the main reason I don't know if I'm sold on him. And then there's the monkey. I'd rather have Polly, even if I liked Shipwreck best when Polly wasn't around to argue with! :)

nosajnnyl
02-12-2007, 08:25 AM
I picked up Shipwreck this weekend. He's shorter than HD. I'm pretty sure that he's shorter than Stone as well. I'll double check when I get home and try to post some comparison pics unless someone beats me to it.

MacGyver
02-12-2007, 11:08 AM
I picked up Shipwreck this weekend. He's shorter than HD. I'm pretty sure that he's shorter than Stone as well. I'll double check when I get home and try to post some comparison pics unless someone beats me to it.

Cool beans! Looking forward to it! I'm glad he's not as tall as HD at any rate. That dude's a whole head taller than the rest!

Bigtattoo
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
theres some comparison pics at the bottom of this_page (http://s6c.joebattlelines.com/toys/reviews/soldier/wave5/shipwreck.htm)

southpaweddy
02-12-2007, 04:41 PM
heck, he's even shorter than Tunnel Rat

southpaweddy
02-12-2007, 04:45 PM
have you seen the photos of Gung Ho? him, they make long and lean and shipwreck short and stocky. seem slike it should have been the other way around. i always thought of GH being the second biggest Joe, right after Roadblock. oh well. and the photo i saw GH had hair! what happened to the old bald headed cajun we all know and love?

neoviper76
02-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Love the new Shipwreck!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as thepost was out that he was on the pegs.....I feverishly went lookin and finally found him. In my opinion....i think this line is just getting better and better. As far as Scarlett goes.....I too wish we would see her soon. She has been there since the beginning. The one I wasnt impressed with was Wet Suit. Dont know why........just not diggin the outfit. Bought him anyway.....lol.

nosajnnyl
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Here's the pic that I promised. I know it's not great, but good camera is still in the shop. I hope this helps.

Ship1001.jpg (http://forums.yojoe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2700&stc=1&d=1171333282)

misterd
02-14-2007, 11:39 PM
I've got mixed feelings.

Overall, I love the figure, especially the proportions. It gives him some character and sets him apart from the rest of the team. His squat frame and large feet (you know what they say about large feet) could give him a good sense of balance, which he might need to move to and fro on the deck of a ship being battered about by waves or artillery. Then the muscles... I see him as being one of the strongest members of the team, which comes from his days of hauling cargo. So you get strength with some agility in a compact frame. Add in the sword and knife, and you've got a little ball of terror - the Joes' own Wolverine.

Now the problem I have is that this just doesn't jibe with the Shipwreck we know and love (or not) from the ARAH days. Given that this is a new continuity, I don't mind him being a very different character. I'd still take some of the originals traits - his garrolous nature, and fondness for the ladies- but otherwise he's someone entirely new.

misterd
02-14-2007, 11:41 PM
have you seen the photos of Gung Ho? him, they make long and lean and shipwreck short and stocky. seem slike it should have been the other way around. i always thought of GH being the second biggest Joe, right after Roadblock. oh well. and the photo i saw GH had hair! what happened to the old bald headed cajun we all know and love?

While I can't speak to the hair, I suspect the "lean" part of Gung Ho (he was always long) comes from the equipment. As we've seen with Stone and HiTech, it doesn't take much to fill out a S6 body, and Gung Ho looks to come with oodles of gear. My guess is that a standard-body Gung Ho would end up looking a little pudgy when all his gear is on.

MacGyver
02-15-2007, 08:45 AM
have you seen the photos of Gung Ho? him, they make long and lean and shipwreck short and stocky.

I must have missed the pic. I'll have to go back and find it...

Now the problem I have is that this just doesn't jibe with the Shipwreck we know and love (or not) from the ARAH days. Given that this is a new continuity, I don't mind him being a very different character. I'd still take some of the originals traits - his garrolous nature, and fondness for the ladies- but otherwise he's someone entirely new.

See, I like continuity, as in one thing follows from another. If something disrupts my space-time-continuum...well, it's not pretty. LOL. Anyway. (yeah, I'm a trekkie too) That's exactly my main problem with the fig...it's nothing like the ARAH Shipwreck. Yeah, it's a new 'verse, but most of the figs haven't departed a whole lot from they're basic original form. Sure the suits are different...to be expected. But the figs are basically what I would expect from the old days. Shippy seems to be the only one that's much different (other than I guess GH...but I didn't see that pic yet). I always pictured him as a little bulkier than Duke, but not musclehead material like Roadblock or Gung Ho. I can handle short...but he needs to be more wiry than wide. Maybe more on par with Long Range...tho I haven't seen that one in person, so I could be off base.

Hmmm...it'd almost be interesting to see Shipwreck in a Sigma 'toon...just to see the new interpretation in action. I'd probably hate it! :p

samluvsjoes
02-15-2007, 01:38 PM
I finally broke down in the past week and bought some S6 figures, but I have yet to see Shipwreck. The pics do make him look annoyingly squat, but maybe I'll feel differently about him when I see him in person. I'm just glad that the knife isn't permanently stuck in his mouth. I was kinda worried about that being the case.
Sam

Dakemesh
02-15-2007, 01:54 PM
I personally think Shipwreck is great. The barrel-chested, big-armed, bow-legged sailor is a time honored image, and as much as I've always liked Shipwreck, I'm glad to get away from the Village People look. He looks much more like a hard working, hard hitting brawler who could pick you up and pitch you through a window without spilling his grog.

southpaweddy
02-17-2007, 08:25 AM
over at joebattlelines.com/s6c they have a monster thread link to a chinese version of eBay that has photso of all the upcoming figs, like gung ho, inferno, lockdown, etc. check it out

http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/25-251612/item_detail-0db1-c68f6c59be882c4e02982dbf618aca15.jhtml

orionlukteel
02-17-2007, 08:37 PM
I got to see the new Shipwreck and the rest of that line today, and I have absolutely no complaint with the proportions or appearance for the character. The figure rocks!

This figure is more a post-Navy, post-Joe deckhand, but it still fits neatly into my concept of what Shipwreck is. Can't really explain beyond that. :D

Bigtattoo
02-18-2007, 10:47 AM
has anyone seen the bare- chested ( and supposedly heavily tattooed) variant Shippy?
Ive not even seen a photo yet, and have scouted around a bit for one.