a question for all you customizers! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : a question for all you customizers!

southpaweddy
02-23-2007, 10:28 AM
hey there. i was wondering what compound(s) you use when making your awesome customs? which one(s) are best? which one(s) are easiest for the novice to use? i have been told that Apoxie is a great one to use, but i don;t relish the idea of using two-part compounds that have to be mixed however i do want something that is versatile and durable.

please help!!
thanks

sithviper
02-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I know many customizers use Sculpey (http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~parentID~2987~categoryID~2986.htm). I don't know how easy it is to use.

MacGyver
02-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Tho I haven't customized a fig yet, I do work with sculpey and it does have to be baked to harden it. So you'd have to make the thing, bake it and then apply it to the fig, right? Is there something you can just mold onto the fig and it self hardens?

Bigtattoo
02-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Sculpey can also be boiled hard.
the way to use it is to mould it onto the fig (Ive only done small stuff so far- beards, taches, sideburns).
Then you either:
i) Blow dry it with a hairdryer (which I wouldnt advise as it takes forever.)
ii) bake it (and the figure) in the oven- you have to be very careful with this as Ive melted a few figs doing this.
iii) boil the figure the fig for 30 secs- 1 minute. This is by far the best method, as you can see if the figure is in any trouble.
I know others who have had great success with both sculpey and green stuff- see http://www.joecustoms.com/ for better info.
There is several guides which will take you through the processes.

*EDIT* I know there has been success with using epoxy (I assume thats what you meant) to mould parts- particularly repairing crotches- but the little I know about it suggests sculpey/green stuff etc is far easier to use.

MacGyver
02-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Sculpey can also be boiled hard.

Oh really? Did not know that!

MacGyver
02-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the link to JoeCustoms, Bigtat! Lots of helpful stuff there on sculpting materials. In fact I've been playing around with sculpey a little this afternoon just to get a feel for it on a fig (a sigma 6, since that's what I've got) and I'm pumped up about the possibilities! Now, a further question. I'm sure the answer's already out there somewhere in the wealth of this place, but haven't seen it yet. This is probably going to cause some gasping and maybe a coronary or two. I gather that most of you don't actively play with your customs...I don't mean posing and stuff, but real scuff-em-up play. My kid and I do play with our Joes and I'm the last person in the world to buy a toy or tinker with a toy so it can sit on a shelf and look cool. To put it simply, any custom I'm toying with is gonna get play time. What's gonna be the most durable but relatively workable sculpting option for a beginner? I'm familiar with sculpey, and like I said with just a couple of minutes goofing around with it on a fig and I was pretty thrilled with the look, but I'm guessing that's not going to be all that durable. I think epoxy and immediately gooey mess comes to mind, tho I'm sure it's more claylike than I'm thinking. I like how the sculpey comes right back off if you don't like the results, but that's gotta say something about how well it'd hold up. Also I'm not talking huge renovations here...mostly hair and facial features. Thanks for tolerating my relative ignorance! ;)

southpaweddy
02-26-2007, 09:28 AM
hey there. you can boil sculpey to harden it? are you sure? the reason i ask is i spent a great deal of time getting my scarlett's chest just the way i want it and i would hate to try boiling it and it get ruined!!

BTW she is coming along awesomely!! i went ahead and took SE's waist (had to cut it apart with a saw!!) and am sculpting onto TR's torso to give her fuller hips and so that her shoulders don;t look so wide. I shortened the arms and legs by cutting off about a quarter inch and then redrilled the holes to attach the smaller hands and feet. so except for the head, she'll be all Hasbro. i even have a really cool crossbow pistol made for her.

thanks for all the info
eddy

Bigtattoo
02-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Im certain it works, because Ive done it myself.
However, Ive only tried it on small pieces that will fit on the end of a teaspoon.
I dont know how it works with larger parts. I suppose u could use a dessert spoon or skewer it somehow. ( I wouldnt advise just plonking it in boiling water without some way to extract it.)
MacGyver- Sculpey is pretty durable, and if its for facial hair, small details, eg belt buckles or grenades, its fine and will withstand a lot of punishment.
Mind u- that depends on how old your kids are. I doubt itd be 3 year old proof.
Larger moderations will likely be far less durable.
All I can suggest to both of you is experiment with different methods first.

MacGyver
02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Southpaw...check out the joecustoms link above. It gives a lot of great details!

Bigtat...thanks for that info. I'll check out some putties and try 'em both before I do anything permanent. :)

Little Dragon
02-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Tamiaya epoxy!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it. I just don't know if I spelled it right. LOL
Joe

Bigtattoo
02-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Some more info:
http://wiki.joecustoms.com/wiki/Sculpting_and_Sculpting_Materials

Joewiki is the best resource available for any customising questions.

MacGyver
04-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Having done 3 customs now (yeah, like I'm a pro...), I was very impressed with the putty I decided to go with. I still just wasn't sold on the durability of the sculpey, so I bought some PC Marine Epoxy putty at a local True Value and played with it a little to get a feel for it. Once I started using it on figures I was thrilled. It has good "stickability" without being overly sticky to your fingers (and a little cornstarch helps). It's easily shaped and smooths well with a little water and can be sanded and further shaped after it cures with a rotary tool. It does only have about a 15 minute window before it won't stick as well and gets tougher to mold. I just worked in small sections, only mixing a tiny bit at a time, and then starting a new batch as needed. I worked in batches like that on Mac's hair to get it just right, and the sections blended together great. It also took paint really well. ;)