Sometimes i think im the only one who likes the battle corps. [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Sometimes i think im the only one who likes the battle corps.

firefly owns you
02-25-2007, 02:45 PM
For whatever reason i like the battle corps figures more than any year that came before them. If you can get past the goofy neon colors, which are most prevelent on the weapons anyway, they are awesome figures. On ebay awhile back i won a battle corps lot of 23 figures moc for 18 bucks after having only ever owned the 92 alley viper. They are rocking.

S my question would be why is there so much battle corps hate and hate for 92-94 figures in general? sure there were som turds but what year didnt have some.

also what is the deal with the shadow ninjas cards being BEYONG RIDICULOUSLY HUGE.

Lody
02-25-2007, 03:01 PM
I think that the colors account for about 90% of the dislike for those years. Also-the guns were hugely unrealistic in those neon colors as well. Pair the figures up with black, silver etc guns and they are rock-on.

Soundwave Viper
02-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Yup, it's the weapon colors that make them suck......only if they cam with black, gray and/or silver weapons....... I actually love most of the Figures.

Icebreaker
02-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I like them very much.
I'm not much of a fan of the weapons trees. As I've thought about it, I like the individual-ness of weapons and accessories. I totally dig the '93 Duke, his weapons tree wasn't bad at all. I totally dig Keel-Haul, too, but blue weapons didn't really make me go wow. Even back in the day when my imagination was younger.
I think there was more fragmentation of themes, or sub-teams, or whatever, where it was hard to say where the GIJOE team went. I know that the main team was under the battle corps theme. Back in the day, I was thinking that it might have been a way to update figures, such as Duke and Keel haul. The rank and file.
I very much do like them, and I don't mind the color choices. I pretty much made a straight transition from playing to collecting that hasn't stopped either. So, I've often wondered if I had stopped somewhere, would I only care about the years I had? As it is, it's a total line that I've got great exposure to, especially at the end, as compared to the beginning of the line.

RedClaw
02-25-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't see how anyone can dislike those figures. A fantastic cyber Dr. Mindbender, that black Cobra Commander (who looked very similar to his early 100's comic return), a military g-suit Ace, a new Alley Viper...more DEF figure.

What people dislike I think is the missile launchers and the lack of additional paint details - often BC figures were rather sparse on paint apps. Plus, I completely cite the "rose colored glasses" situation. 83-87 are typically regarded as the be-all-end-all figures because that is a time when the first core of collectors were kids. As they often grew out of Joes by the early 90s, they have no sentimental connection to Battle Corps or any other late-run concepts.

I think that the sculpt details and quality were never better or more original then they were in 1993 and 1994.

thunt4
02-25-2007, 04:36 PM
I have to go with redclaw that the 82-87 are the sentimental ones to most of us. I like them but my only complain is the unrealistic weapons. NOt even counting the colors to them just look how huge they were. I mean you would need a vehicle just to carry them in real life where as the earlier released figures had regular every weapons.

Patrick A. Riley
02-25-2007, 04:38 PM
I like them. Lots of good ones.

As far as paint apps, the only problem I have there is with all the variants from the 1994 BC assortment

23 MOC figures for $18? Have a link to that auction?

mizak23
02-25-2007, 04:58 PM
I do like many of them and wish I had more, but I htink that the nail has been hit on the head here already, the brighter colors, neon weapon tree and missile launchers seem to push them away from many collectors, that and some of the BC are repaints, some good, but mainly not as impressive as the originals. I loved them because it was a chance for me to own many of the characters I missed since I was born in 1985.

Falcone
02-25-2007, 05:03 PM
since I was born in 1985.

Same here, I grew up on the 90s figures. The majority of the figures from when I was growing up were the 90s. But I did have access to the sunbow cartoon and the 80's figures also. I prefered the figures that looked like the toon, which is why I only collect pre '88 now.

TheReverend
02-25-2007, 05:05 PM
I think the battle corps. sclupts, of many of the figures, are the best ever done.

The heavy use of the Neon colors on some of the figs and the weapons, and the unrealistic super large weapons, hurts some of them quite a bit IMO.

But I still have most of them in my collection. And again love almost all the sclupts.

So yeah, I like them, No hate from me.

firefly owns you
02-25-2007, 06:24 PM
I like them. Lots of good ones.

As far as paint apps, the only problem I have there is with all the variants from the 1994 BC assortment

23 MOC figures for $18? Have a link to that auction?

no i dont that auction was from november and is gone now.

and from what has been said so far amazes me. every other joe board ive seen in recent years seem to cut off the line at 89 and anything after that doesnt exist until the comic packs. aside from the missle launchers as mentioned we got some cool looking guns from alot of the 90s figures albeit some in neon yellow and green. :)

code red shockwave
02-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Well I do like some of the Battle Corps figures.

Headhunter Stormtrooper is the best one to come out of that line.

Mace and Law are pretty decent figures despite the bright colors.

Duke, Gung-Ho, and Roadblock are improvements over the originals.

I think there were only a few I could possibly hate, so to speak.

green firefly
02-25-2007, 09:19 PM
I agree that many current collectors had grown out of toys by the 90's. When I started collecting again as an adult, everything after around 1988 was totally new to me. Personally, I only like a couple of the Battle Corps figures like the Roadblocks. I am more fond of traditional military designs and colors.

vancleef9000
02-25-2007, 10:06 PM
It's only in the last year that these figures have started getting any respect.

A lot of Joe collectors like to pretend that RAH isn't as ridiculous as it is realistic and the neon is a harsh reminder of that. They are a good deal though and most can still be had for $10-$15 carded.

and yes, I think they are great.

VC9k

Cobra-Loyalist
02-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Same here, I grew up on the 90s figures. The majority of the figures from when I was growing up were the 90s. But I did have access to the sunbow cartoon and the 80's figures also. I prefered the figures that looked like the toon, which is why I only collect pre '88 now.

Yeah, that goes for me too. I'm an early 90's kid as well. I remember playing with GI-Joe toys since I got my first one, the "Sea Ray w/ sea slug" somewhere around 1987 - 1988 (I was born in 1982, so that would've made me 5 or 6 then). It was on from then, until 1994 when the Joe line ended (but I still messed around with toys until early 1996). So from 1987-1994, I was a Joe kid. I guess thats why I only really collect GI-Joe toys from '87-'94. "Sentimental value". ;)

....There's my 2 cents....

- Jd.

The Mad Bubbler
02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I was born in 1982 as well, and got my first Joe figures in '86 (Shipwreck, Tomax and Xamot, Beachead and General Hawk are soem of the first ones I remember getting, at least some as gifts from my Uncle, aAunt and Cousins). Throughout the 80's, I sporadically bought Joes I thought looked cool in stores, and some at flea markets too. I was actually heavily into them in the early 90's, and bought almost all of the Battle Corps figures. I think people have basically touched upon the main reasons some collectors dialike these figures - the bright colors, on figures and weapons. Also, the lack of individualized weapons was a downside, too, and most older collectors (older then me, that is) don't have an attachment to these figures, as they did not purchase them while they were children. In my opinion,t hough, there really are some great figures int he Battle Corps line. Most of the figures had great sculpts, even if they were in unfortuante color schemes, and some of them just looked cool, period, in the color schemes they were released in. Cobra Commander (black), Desert Duke, and Headhunter Stormtrooper are excellent figures. I agree with what some people have said- pair up most battle corps figures with realistically colored weapons, and they look pretty darn cool. I really wish Hasbro would revisit some of the characters that were issued in more unfortunate color schemes, and re-issue them in mroe realistic ones. So... yeah.... I'll stop rambling, and basically sum up- I think the Battle Corps figures, for the most part, are pretty darn cool, too.

samluvsjoes
02-27-2007, 06:21 AM
I love Battle Corps and some of my favorite figures are from Battle Corps. I do wish they would have come with unique accessories and some of them would benefit from a better paintjob, but hey, at least the general dislike makes them cheap to acquire! I even use the BC Viper as my Toxo-Viper.
Sam

james strickland
02-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I don't hate the battle corps. I don't have much of that group but they do have figures that I do like. I like the battle corps wetsuit, Col.Courage, wild bil, and so on. I loike the molds that alotof the figures have.

MikePrime
02-27-2007, 07:03 PM
I bought a lot of Battle Corps figures when I was a kid. Cobra Commander in the black uniform and the new sculpt of Roadblock are both good looking figures. Cross Country and Leatherneck are pretty good as well. Some are crazy looking, like the armored version of LAW and Muskrat.

What I never liked about them were the parts tree weapons. I thought that Hasbro was being really cheap after so many years of having figures with character specific weapons.

Kann
02-27-2007, 07:34 PM
I love the battle corps. 89 - 94 are the big years for collecting for me sense I was born in 82.

Chairborne
02-28-2007, 09:33 AM
I was born in 80, and some of my earliest memories of joe's were the 84 through 86 figures, but I collected off and on up into the battle corps figures. I never really liked the neon colors, and really didn't like the weapons at all.

Some of the missle launchers that came with some of the figures were just ridiculous. Some good figures, but bad weapons, and colors. I also didn't like the new style file cards either. They were kind of generic.

GI Trekker
02-28-2007, 12:58 PM
There was some weird stuff in those years, but I agree, not enough to warrant hostility. I actually LIKE Ice Cream Soldier, and the 1993 Viper is a personal favorite of mine.

Granted the color schemes were fairly intense, which I think accounts for a fair percentage of the dislike, and the weapons would be the rest of it, but I've never concerned myself overmuch with accessories anyway.

My ONLY complaint about that time period would be those blasted trading-card-sized file cards that were used in 1994. THAT annoyed me.

zark1976
02-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Recently I've become enamored of these later years because I've found a few MOCs for like $5. I figure it's kind of relaxing to get older figures so cheap.

My preference is for the older figures, but they all cost a lot more MOC.