View Full Version : Wrestlers tied to a steroid scandal?

dockingbay97
03-20-2007, 10:02 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/03/19/wrestlers/index.html?cnn=yes

I am shocked. I thought Triple H looking like a life sized vintage He-Man figure with a pimple covered back was all natural.

I think the only people shocked by this article are those who still think wrestling is 100% real (unscripted).

I am not trying to trash the WWE - just stating that when I saw that article, all I could think of was "Duh!"

Patrick A. Riley
03-20-2007, 10:40 AM
WWE's Wellness Policy.....Ha! :rolleyes:

Druss
03-20-2007, 11:14 AM
I was a bit suprised about the Wellness policy as well. I'm not super familiar with all the names but it didn't seem like any of the real obvious names have been released yet, the guys like Triple H and the other super huge guys from recently(Lesnar?)

Patrick A. Riley
03-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, Chris Masters could be a suspect. He was really jacked up before he was suspended for violating the policy. He came back looking much smaller and less muscular. Now, all of a sudden, he's back to his pre-suspension roided up form

orionlukteel
03-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Geez, I can't believe they didn't come right out and name all of them! Though I am disappointed in Rey - I understand he's a Eddie protege, but I believe Rey's got a much larger younger follwing.

It's funny how these guys can bulk up the way they have and not look like Mr. Olympia.

By the same token, I was always disappointed in the flabby wrestlers back in the 80's. So I guess the chiseled look is for mass market appeal, health consequences be darned.

Next thing they'll be telling us is that Spike Dudley was juiced. :D

Eh, it was real to me when it looked fairly competitive (TLC, etc.), now it's just funny to watch.

Bigtattoo
03-21-2007, 06:58 AM
Geez, I can't believe they didn't come right out and name all of them! Though I am disappointed in Rey - I understand he's a Eddie protege, but I believe Rey's got a much larger younger follwing.

It's funny how these guys can bulk up the way they have and not look like Mr. Olympia.

Do you mean why dont they look ripped?
The reason is simple- bodybuilders competing for tournaments go through an extreme diet regime aimed at cutting bodyfat- in fact its called cutting.
Their bodyfat can go below 2%- however this comes at a price.
Many think they're at their most fit, when in fact they're at their weakest.
They have very little stamina and energy, and their bodies are literally eating themselves.
Wrestlers cant go through this, as they will need all their stamina and energy to perform.
That means theyll have a large diet- it wouldnt surprise me if some of the bigger lads eat 6000- 10000 calories per day.
Plus all the performance enhancers and steriods.

dockingbay97
03-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Bodybuilders also take a drug that I can't remember the name of that right before they compete that cuts all the water out of them - it makes their skin really thin looking so you can see all the muscle underneath. It is this drug that hurts more bodybuilders than the steroids.

Urban Saboteur
03-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm totally shocked and disappointed.. ever since i was Ten.. I've been following wrestling and always thought these guys just drank lots of milk and ate their veggies.. and now this.. .its a sad day... they were all just pilling to build up their boddies.. and none of it is real.. what a bunch of fakey so and so'es. :p

FireFox91
03-21-2007, 05:36 PM
This does not shock me at all. I lost all interest in wrestling a long time ago. I didn't need to see that anyone was all bulked up to entertain me. In fact, that is all I see now and I can't really tell the difference between one wrestler and another. Back the day, they were characters and played a part. A guy walking around with a 2x4, a guy with rubber bands hanging off his face, a guy that litterally a giant. That was entertainment.

Bigtattoo
03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
It surprises me that i) anyone is surprised by this, and ii) its taken so long for this to come to light.

CGC
03-21-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm a little surprised that they were even tested. I strongly suspect that the majority of them are at least using HGH, if not more dangerous steroids. In Greco-Roman wrestling or the Olympics, I think that these should be tested for, but in WWF, WWE, & whatever other incarnations there are of "Professional Wrestling" right now, I don't see why they test. I think it's generally accepted that pro wrestling is more a part of the entertainment industry than sports. I'm not saying these men aren't athletes - any one of them could mess me up pretty quick, & they do need to be in good shape to prevent any serious injuries being more common than they are, but for these men HGH is their uniform. They are expected to be in exceptional condition, seeing people like this going head to head makes for a much more interesting spectacle than a couple beer bellied, middle aged bald guys throwing their remotes at each other.

I'm not a wrestling fan, & I don't think the side effects of any steroids should be scoffed at. The pro wrestling industry may be the only place where I think this is not only acceptable, but actually a good idea. They still need to work themselves hard to build the muscle, but these will help give them the exceptional results that make pro wrestling as popular as it is. In this case I would view HGH side effects as an occupational hazard, & I'd bet that most wrestlers who do use it are in regular contact with their physician or trainer regarding the use.

For any kids reading this - don't think this implies that any steroid use is safe. Look at all the steroid users dying in their 20's, 30's, & 40's. These athletes get plenty of exercise and eat right, yet many of them still die 40 years short of their life expectancy - and that average expectancy includes the grossly obese whose only exercise is trips from the couch to the fridge. Misuse of any chemical can be deadly.

(stepping down from the soapbox...)

dfunk7
03-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Bodybuilders also take a drug that I can't remember the name of that right before they compete that cuts all the water out of them - it makes their skin really thin looking so you can see all the muscle underneath. It is this drug that hurts more bodybuilders than the steroids.

winstrol is a cutting steroid

neoviper76
03-21-2007, 08:20 PM
If somebody says that Batista isnt juiced.....I'll go into shock. Personally I cant stand anything about the WWE. This report doesnt shock me whatsoever. How I long for the glory days of Big John Studd, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Jake the Snake....etc....etc. To me....it was like a Comic book come to life. Now.....I couldnt tell you really who is who.

kujowolfpack
03-22-2007, 01:47 AM
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=107643765&blogID=243887243&MyToken=63877933-335e-4924-bf51-8123312fe675

This is Edge's new myspace blog where he admits to using steroids. He did have a reason in my opinion. If you don't know when Edge used them, check out the first "Money in the Bank" ladder match at....Wrestlemania 21, I believe. He was jacked! Anyway, this is for all of you who are curious. It's kind of interesting.