03-24-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm kinda contemplating getting a second car, since my first car is a
2-door ScionTC coupe, am thinking along the lines of a 7-8 seater SUV

I test drove a Lincoln Aviator several years ago & LOVED IT
but unfortunately Lincoln stopped production on those vehicles :(

What would you recommend?

thunt4
03-24-2007, 11:07 PM
I guess it really goes on what price range you want to go. Just keep in mind how much gas you are going to be using also. It adds up quickly. trust me lol

CGC
03-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Lincolns are great, but would you actually take it off-road? And if you are, will you have that many people along with you? I have an IHC Scout II. It's older, but it's built like a tank & has plenty of power - it's a 4wd that's built to be used, not just so you can claim you've got an SUV. I'm not running down the Navigator, I'd take a Lincoln over a Caddy any day, but I wouldn't trust either of them on a minimum maintenance road, let alone a few miles off it.

If you aren't interested in off-roading, do you need a 4wd? An awd might be a better option - cheaper & noticeably better mileage, if you'd even need the awd. If you really just want something big & impressive, but aren't concerned with the mileage you'd be getting, check out the Hummers, I've seen seating options for up to 10 people, & if you do decide to take it out into the sticks, you'll be able to.

YELSEW
03-25-2007, 09:17 AM
I have done a lot of research on this, because I too am in the market of buying one of these. I would say (although I don't know what your price range is), but a GMC Yukon Denali or the Escalade would be the best bet.

The Yukon gets relatively good gas mileage, 17 Highway, and has plenty of room, especially if you get the extended version. Lincoln Navigator is also nice. I have narrowed it down to a Yukon or a Toyota Sequoia (although I think I should learn how to spell it!). Can't go wrong with the longivity and reliability of a Toyota.

YELSEW
03-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Lincolns are great, but would you actually take it off-road? And if you are, will you have that many people along with you? I have an IHC Scout II. It's older, but it's built like a tank & has plenty of power - it's a 4wd that's built to be used, not just so you can claim you've got an SUV. I'm not running down the Navigator, I'd take a Lincoln over a Caddy any day, but I wouldn't trust either of them on a minimum maintenance road, let alone a few miles off it.

If you aren't interested in off-roading, do you need a 4wd? An awd might be a better option - cheaper & noticeably better mileage, if you'd even need the awd. If you really just want something big & impressive, but aren't concerned with the mileage you'd be getting, check out the Hummers, I've seen seating options for up to 10 people, & if you do decide to take it out into the sticks, you'll be able to.

I would be interested in seeing a link to how you can seat 10 in a hummer??? I know you can get an optional seat for the trunk for 6, but I have never heard of more than that.

CGC
03-25-2007, 09:42 AM
I saw a Hummer at a dealership a few years ago (maybe 5?, not sure) that had a bench seat in front and a U-shaped bench in back. The back seat(s) covered the back of the vehicle normally, but wrapped around both the passenger & driver sides, coming right up to the back side of the front bench. I think the seats raised to open the rear doors. Also, this was full sized, not one of the newer H3's.

YELSEW
03-25-2007, 10:27 AM
I saw a Hummer at a dealership a few years ago (maybe 5?, not sure) that had a bench seat in front and a U-shaped bench in back. The back seat(s) covered the back of the vehicle normally, but wrapped around both the passenger & driver sides, coming right up to the back side of the front bench. I think the seats raised to open the rear doors. Also, this was full sized, not one of the newer H3's.

Interesting! I really didn't think that was legal to do with a domestic vehicle other than a limo. Yes, I was talking about the full sized Hummer's too, with the fold down seat. I knew the Hummers didn't come with bench seats in the front, because of the massive console between the two seats. Was it a custom, or do you think you could have bought it straight from the dealer?

CGC
03-25-2007, 12:56 PM
It was probably a custom. It was sitting right on the showroom floor with 3 of the 4 doors were open to show the interior, but beyond that there was no special attention being drawn to it. I'd always assumed it was a seating option, but being a custom does make more sense.

The Faceless Master
03-25-2007, 04:42 PM
thanks for the suggestions, guys
if anything I am leaning towards a new escalade

but i still dont mind getting a certified pre-owned aviator
i dunno why i really dig this thing :confused:

thunt4
03-25-2007, 11:02 PM
All I can suggest is if you like an aviator the best then get what you want really. Keep in mind a lincoln is a nicer version of a ford. explorer and aviator and expedition and navigators are based off the same platform just like an escalade and tahoe or denali. Some times you pay for the name. I do like the new escalade though. They look pretty nice. I have a 2003 escalade and like it pretty much. I haven't driven the new ones yet but keep seeing them everywhere. Have you checked out nissans at all? Like an armada? I have an xterra too and really love that car as well. I know on my xterra the frame actually goes through the roof so if you roll it the roof is not going to cave in and is made for offroading unlike most but not sure about armada's. Even though they say 7-8 people can fit in an escalade I don't see it happening but they are pretty roomy. Even a suggestion would be go to a rental car place and see if you can get a nicer suv for the weekend to try it out just to see if you like it. I am not sure if they have nicer ones but its worth a shot to try.

YELSEW
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
All I can suggest is if you like an aviator the best then get what you want really. Keep in mind a lincoln is a nicer version of a ford. explorer and aviator and expedition and navigators are based off the same platform just like an escalade and tahoe or denali. Some times you pay for the name. I do like the new escalade though. They look pretty nice. I have a 2003 escalade and like it pretty much. I haven't driven the new ones yet but keep seeing them everywhere. Have you checked out nissans at all? Like an armada? I have an xterra too and really love that car as well. I know on my xterra the frame actually goes through the roof so if you roll it the roof is not going to cave in and is made for offroading unlike most but not sure about armada's. Even though they say 7-8 people can fit in an escalade I don't see it happening but they are pretty roomy. Even a suggestion would be go to a rental car place and see if you can get a nicer suv for the weekend to try it out just to see if you like it. I am not sure if they have nicer ones but its worth a shot to try.

the extended excalade is based off of the Yukon (as referenced by you above). Two of my sister-in-laws own Yukon Denali (extended) and they fit 8 adults comfortably. I would imagine the escalade would too. But, with any vehicle, when you are sitting 3 in a bench seat they might have to touch, which may make some people nervous or feel there is no room.

Currahee_Chris
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I paid $19,000 for a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer XL. Love it!!! Easily will hold 7 people. Fold down seats in the back. Biggest reason I like it- I had a Blazer but it just got smaller the fatter I got :D Plus, my legs would get stiff. So I just basically needed a bigger blazer- which is wha the TB is. Not a lot of fancy gadgets and everything like that, just a great, all purpose SUV. It also doesn't do as bad as I thought it would with gas.