What made you buy your first S6 figure? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What made you buy your first S6 figure?

The Faceless Master
03-25-2007, 10:30 PM
There was a lot of resistance when Hasbro first announced plans to release
this sized figure instead of expanding on the 3-3/4th market...

Yet I seem to see more & more collectors purchasing S6 figures.
So like the title says, what made YOU buy your first S6 figure?

*posts saying "i dont have one" or "they suck" are not allowed* :cool:

nosajnnyl
03-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Not exactly sure what made me buy my first. Let's call it impulse. I will say that my orginal intentions were to buy just Snake Eyes & maybe Storm Shadow. Now, I own at least 1 of every character released so far.

frozentundra
03-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Thinking that purchasing it might bring me the same enjoyment that the 3 3/4" line did. It didn't and all of the S6, that I had collected, has been given to my little cousins. It didn't bring me the same feeling, but it brought them joy. That makes it worth it. Now all S6 purchases go directly to the little cousins.

Little Dragon
03-26-2007, 09:33 AM
General Hawk's reviews did it for me!! It made me want them all. LOL
Joe

MacGyver
03-26-2007, 09:49 AM
The sheer coolness of the Spirit Iron-Knife figure my son got for his birthday last year. That and the fact that he had extra birthday money to spend! :) Seriously...I had no idea GI Joe's were even still going so strong after I "grew up." I'd seen an occasional Joe vs. Cobra or Valor vs. Venom figure in the dollar stores, but wasn't real impressed and never saw fit to really check into anything current. Spirit came from a friend of mine who found him at one of those surplus/outlet stores where some things tend to have a scratch or dent or are out of date...the package was missing the end caps. Coming from one of those places, I assumed there was a strong possibility that it wasn't a current line of figures...it was dated 2005. So before I got Bud's hopes up I typed in a search anyway...and Bingo! I was even surprised to find a couple at our local cheesy non-super Walmart. Our first buy was Jetwing Duke. It's just kind of exploded from there. I s'pose if I were collecting for myself, it'd be the 80s ARAH figs...but Bud loves these Sigmas and I have to admit, the coolness factor (for most of them) is super!

TerdVader
03-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Honestly, I was drunk.:o

Red Sox
03-26-2007, 12:52 PM
I collect all Cobra Commander figures, so I picked up the first S6 CC. That lead to getting Destro, Storm Shadow, and Zartan. The second CC was a given, and I couldn't resist the $5 Clearance on the Paratrooper Duke. The 3rd CC will probably be my last one unless Hasbro comes up with something else that really catches my eye or resembles a RAH design for a character.

Bigtattoo
03-26-2007, 12:59 PM
*posts saying "i dont have one" or "they suck" are not allowed* :cool:
Sort of breaking the rules here, as I havent got one yet.
Im waiting to see if the barechested Shipwreck variant gets released- (still not seen any info on it) then Ill take the plunge.

skinny
03-26-2007, 10:35 PM
I was skeptical but I pretty much knew I wanted them as soon as I saw them at the convention in Minneapolis. I looked forward to seeing my favorite characters on the pegs again. I have at least one of each so far. I still haven't opened any (bought a HISS on clearance for 2.50 and opened it.) but I am planning on getting two Storm Shadow Samurai. best looking Sigma so far in my book most displayworthy.

Cobra-Loyalist
03-27-2007, 12:34 AM
The only S6 "sized figure" that I've bought so far is the Destro one. Because he just looks so darn cool. The only other two S6 "sized figures" that I'll buy is Cobra Commander and Duke. For obvious reasons. :D Awesome-ness!

Lt-Vanish
03-27-2007, 02:01 PM
to date I have customized every single Sigma I have, except for V1 Snakeeyes, in someway

I like the style and the field of customizing these is massive

and for the most part I've been ARAHing them as I get them

commentor
03-27-2007, 06:53 PM
I bought snake-eyes the first one because I was telling myself and my husband (no I am not a Girl) that he could pass as a good guy or bad guy. I had to say this because my husband hates to see me buy so many toys. He is getting better at biting his tongue.

(In fact this last time when I was trying to decide which of the new spider-man figures I should get I was saying I am trying to talk myself down. I said see these Are the one I was able to stay away from. He just said oh just buy them all you know you want to:) But really they are not all that good but anyway back on topic)

Then I aso thought If snake-eyes was used as a bad guy maybe next time I can get spirt:) since I was planing on only buying the two as a total. I was really hoping the 3 3/4 figures would be back so I didn't want to buy more than two. Then I went to oregon and was able to get cobra commander and the others since I did not have to pay sales tax there:) plus with them being 3 times the cost as the little joes I really can't afford to buy duplicates of characters other than cobra commander of course:)

TheReverend
03-27-2007, 11:41 PM
...what made YOU buy your first S6 figure?...
I was drunk :D

And that's why I bought my first sig6 figure (man never go to WalMart when you've been drinking, and have like $500 to burn, I bought all kinds of weird stuff that night - some real weird stuff...man o man)

But I actutaly really like the sig6 figure I got (Spirit), but I have not bought any more and do not plan on it, I just really have too much stuff, and have no plan on collecting sig6 too, but they are pretty sweet.

And of all the odd things I bought on my strange drunk WalMart trip, the sig6 figure is about the best thing I got ;)

dominic.18
03-28-2007, 07:18 AM
i really like the sigma six figures. i bought the first one for two reasons though. articulation and the lack of 3 3/4 joes.

starscream2
03-28-2007, 08:31 AM
font a cobra-nijabat for like cheap at thrift store and thats only one ill buy there ok but i have no room for more.joes that take up that much space.so hes like a big bat that gurdes a cobra base for me.he looks the beast to me any way.like to get ship but a monkey!!!!!.cant get past it.

ps whent out today bought ship.think it will be the last one that i will buy.just dont like them.just look to weird.

Reptilian Popinjay
03-29-2007, 09:24 PM
After seeing the cartoon (which I don't think is near as bad as everyone says it is) and seeing the Sky BAT was done in COBRA Commander V1 colors and would match my blue COBRA army, I decided to get a couple of them to use as giant COBRA robots. They look great.

Currahee_Chris
04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Love the "I was drunk" responses. those are just too funny.

Well, I was really intrigued by the thought of having 8" Joe figures. I do like them though I think some of the accessories are redundant or just hurt the playability of the figures as you have to worry about everything falling off the guy when he moves.

I like the "little" line of figures as well. I stopped buying them last year as I got tired of the rehashed figures. Picked up my favorites like Snakes, Duke and all but avoided the others for the most part. One day I will get around picking up Zartan and Lt Stone but for now, my money is focues strictly on the 25th Anniversary figs.

And yes, the cartoon A+++ on animation, D on storyline and dialogue.

The 100% Argento Outback
04-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Well i buy one T-rat because i was buying a lot of figs from a fellow collector in USA and he had it for $5, so i took him too...

green firefly
04-03-2007, 09:19 PM
I bought my first one when they made the first Firefly. I'm still waiting for a cool-looking Firefly. The second version is slightly better. I have a pretty nice custom S6 Firefly.
Here he is - http://www.gijoepriceguide.com/community/files/images/firefly_custom.jpg

Serpentor878
04-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I bought my first one because of Destro, he just looked cool. Then I saw the Zartan and the bus just rolled from there. I just picked up the Shipwreck and the new Cobra version of Firefly who I think is awsome.

DPrime
04-05-2007, 01:07 PM
I started buying the ones that actually look like they're RAH counterparts... I think Snake Eyes (V1) was the first, followed by Storm Shadow and Destro. Zartan's next.

Otomite
06-23-2007, 09:40 AM
My friend bought me some to get me into them, the bastich. But then I bought a bunch of Sky Bats so I could add a new storyline to the 3.75 inch figures... ya' know, Mindbender creating big death bots...

Jestermon
07-08-2007, 02:51 AM
I finally cracked to the coolness of the "classics" HISS tank (had to go get the other one from my Wal-Mart tonight,and want to get the jet as well also, due to the lack of new Trnasformers Figures and the lack of any Star Wars to speak of locally.

Target has all of its stuff on clearance, well the small stuff anyways, what sucks is they are all out of the HISS and Firebat, and I could have used my gfs Target discount.

Thinking of repainting the second black and classic colors.

gijoe071681
07-08-2007, 02:29 PM
honestly i was only going to buy snake eyes and storm shadow but then out came kamakura (i am such a ninja fanatic) then i got spirit on clearance and a dragonhawk for christmas and it went from there. i however was not drunk lol

jetski333
07-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I finally cracked to the coolness of the "classics" HISS tank (had to go get the other one from my Wal-Mart tonight,and want to get the jet as well also, due to the lack of new Trnasformers Figures and the lack of any Star Wars to speak of locally.

Target has all of its stuff on clearance, well the small stuff anyways, what sucks is they are all out of the HISS and Firebat, and I could have used my gfs Target discount.

Thinking of repainting the second black and classic colors.

Try HTS they have everything on clearance & when I last checked still has the 2 items you mentioned.