View Full Version : eBay makes sniping easier

Goldbug
05-26-2007, 01:07 AM
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-assistant.html

TheReverend
05-26-2007, 01:40 AM
Wow that is interesting, I’m sure lots of anti-sniper people will be crying load about this :rolleyes: very interesting move for eBay... I think I'll stick with normal snipping services till I know more about it.

www.auctionsniper.com (http://www.auctionsniper.com/) has had bid groups and sniping services for a long time, and I’ve used both with great success…

Anyway, interesting...

YELSEW
05-26-2007, 02:28 AM
I guess you can classify me as the "anti-sniping person". I really really hate it. Before auctionsniper came along, I usually got things often and at fairly reasonble prices.

I just don't like the idea, but it is just me!

CGC
05-26-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm also in the anti-sniping group, but that's just the way it is. Even so, I don't think this is such a bad feature. There have been a few times when there are concurrent auctions for the same or very similar pieces I want one of but not multiples. You can't be on all the time, & if this will automatically bid on the second if you lose the first, it could be helpful. Hopefully it will allow different bid amounts for the separate auctions you choose - variables like condition & shipping have an effect on bid amounts, and not having flexibility built into this feature could kill it...

82to87Joes
05-26-2007, 09:12 AM
i dont get anti-sniping people. seems they just want to get things as cheap as possible and get mad when someone wants it more then them. i know it can be agravating to be high bidder up to the last second only to lose it by 1 penny or whatever but the simple solution is to put in your max bid right at front and then if someone outbids you whether it be with 6 days left or 1 second it wont matter because you bid the very max you would pay anyways

FireFox91
05-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Personally I think sniping makes things go for cheaper, not drives the price up. If people make their bids as "normal" then there is time for other bidders to contimplate if they are willing to go higher than they thought they would. (I have done this myself.) When you snipe, that is your one shot and your done. Because even if you decide to go higher, it is too late auction is over. The seller could have made more but didn't.

If eBay was truly anti-sniping, then they would impiment the rule Yahoo auctions used to have. If a bid comes in within the last few minutes of an auction, the auction extends for another few minutes. eBay doesn't want to do this because it leaves stuff up for longer than someone paid for. Of course it is only a few minutes and will make eBay more money so I don't know why they don't do that.

Either way, sniping is just a fact of life on eBay.

dfunk7
05-29-2007, 10:43 AM
i dont have time to sit by ebay all day, i see an auction i want to win and put my price in my sniper program and i forget about it, if i win great and if i lose then whatever at least i dont worry about getting caught up in a bid war

i actually find it funny when people bid in the first few days, to me it seems like a complete waiste of time and they rarely are the people who win the auctions

ohhh well to each his own

Snake-eyes01
05-30-2007, 08:51 AM
I tried this out just to see if it works & I lost both items DAYS before either auction ended! The problem was as soon as I was done entering the info a bid was placed on the first auction instead of waiting until a few seconds before it ended??! This is not sniping, it's just Ebay will bid for you until you are outbid then move to the next item on your list.

firefly owns you
05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
im kind of confused about this. you put auctions in a group and then what?

will you automatically win one of them no matter what anyone else bids? and you can only win one in a group? what?

CGC
05-30-2007, 04:54 PM
No, ebay will automatically raise your bid as needed, until it hits your max - just like normal. However, if you do not win auction #1, it will then do the same in auction #2 & #3 if you've told it to. Read the feature description, it spells it out pretty well. It isn't really a sniping feature so much as a multi-auction bid option.

green firefly
05-30-2007, 06:29 PM
If eBay was truly anti-sniping, then they would impiment the rule Yahoo auctions used to have. If a bid comes in within the last few minutes of an auction, the auction extends for another few minutes.

I really enjoy the extension type auction - I think it is called a live auction sometimes. It is a lot of fun for the bidders and sellers, although it can get aggravating for buyers.

dreams deferred
06-01-2007, 07:07 AM
i actually find it funny when people bid in the first few days, to me it seems like a complete waiste of time and they rarely are the people who win the auctions

ohhh well to each his own

You may not share this feeling, and it only applies when looking for something on the cheap, but I've been discouraged from bidding more than once when something already has multiple bids with days to go... it shows there's progressive contention and interest. As opposed to an auction I think is largely ignored and I can snipe in at the last moment and win it from the one or two people who only bid once each.

Basicly, if I bid the first time I see something it is for one of two reasons

1) I don't want it, or can't have it, in my "watch" group

2) I want to make a statement of my intention

There are a lot of mindgames played on ebay, though. Strange things happen and trying to explain most peoples bidding habbits is impossible.

TOPSON
06-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Basicly, if I bid the first time I see something it is for one of two reasons

1) I don't want it, or can't have it, in my "watch" group

2) I want to make a statement of my intention

There are a lot of mindgames played on ebay, though. Strange things happen and trying to explain most peoples bidding habbits is impossible.

That is basically why I did early on an auction. I also will not bid against friends here from the board or in the real world. So, if I see they are the high bidder then I won't bid. Therefore, I think you should bid early on. Otherwise I will snipe you. Just kidding, I don't have a snipper program.
Chris

Scrapiron-Scavanger
06-01-2007, 07:40 PM
im kind of confused about this. you put auctions in a group and then what?

will you automatically win one of them no matter what anyone else bids? and you can only win one in a group? what?

From my understanding, here is how it goes. Say you want a Mobat, there are several different ones that you would like, so you put them in the group and put your max bid. Odds are that you will win one of them (and ONLY one of them) with you max bid.

Will you get the best deal? Not necessarily, but it will increase sales and e-bay's take by doing so.

Patrick A. Riley
06-01-2007, 08:10 PM
The only time I don't snipe is if the auction ends in the middle of the night. It happens a lot with me being on the East coast.

But I believe in "do-it-yourself" I place the bid manually, so if there's a technical problem with the site or my Internet connection, the power goes out, etc. it's my fault and I deserved to lose

TOPSON
06-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I actually like the program. I have bid on multable auctions trying to win one and actually won two. That sucked. I will probably never use it, but I like to know it is there if I need it.
Chris

dfunk7
06-01-2007, 08:42 PM
i havent bid on an auction w/o a buy it now or unless there was some strategic value in along time, although i dont use this program, i just dont feel like sitting around waiting i go about other things and hope i win