Rowdy Roddy Piper [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Rowdy Roddy Piper

Dirk Diggler
08-02-2007, 12:50 AM
What do you think of the Rowdy Roddy Piper figure (JoeCon 2007 Exclusive)?

I think it is an awesome idea, because Cobra hasn't a cool drill instructor since Big Boa, and all the poor rookie vipers and grenadiers deserve one!

And now they bring us an old school wrestler who "can combat the sergeant (Sergeant Slaughter) with equal strength and skill"! :eek:

I remember my time in primary school where wrestling trading cards were a currency! (There was always a kid who bought your milk and some candies for a wrestling trading card...does anyone think that sounds crazy?) :rolleyes:

I keep my fingers crossed that the exclusive figure will not be a 25th anniversary figure!!!

So gentlemen, what is your opinion?

AlternateUniverse Steeler
08-02-2007, 12:59 AM
HE MUST HAVE A KILT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol WWF In Gi Joe.
They should make Nikoli Volkov as an Oktober Guard.

Dirk Diggler
08-02-2007, 01:15 AM
HE MUST HAVE A KILT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol WWF In Gi Joe.
They should make Nikoli Volkov as an Oktober Guard.

I think real people in G.I.Joe make the line more realistic!
BTW who is Nikoli Volkov...the russian actor who died of leukemia at the age of 69? :confused:

karamazov80
08-02-2007, 01:57 AM
I think that he is referring to Nikolai Volkoff, the "Soviet" professional wrestler and adversary to all things American in the 1980s (if I remember correctly, he was actually from Croatia). He would (badly) sing the Soviet anthem, get booed and then, typically, get beaten by the likes of Hogan or Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

Personally, if they are doing bad guy wrestlers as Joes, I would like to see a Four Horsemen special ops unit: mastermind Ric Flair, the muscle Arn and Ole Anderson, and the tactician Tully Blanchard.

And if they want to stay current, the bad guy leader should be Iranian scoundrel the Iron Sheik (who they would make into Iraqi leader Colonel Mustafa when the political climate required such). That guy. . .is a nut job, and would be hysterical at a Joe convention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-wEUCCvE0

The Amazing Mutato
08-02-2007, 05:36 AM
Where is the info or pics of the Roddy Piper figure?????

I have not heard anything about this.

Patrick A. Riley
08-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Where is the info or pics of the Roddy Piper figure?????

I have not heard anything about this.
Check the Con Set pic thread for more info and updates:
http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=48817

statesofeuphoria
08-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Please for the sake of all that is holy NO!
Sgt. Slaughter is bad enough, but if they start putting other wrestlers in the mix, I'm out.

neapolitan joe
08-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Please for the sake of all that is holy NO!
Sgt. Slaughter is bad enough, but if they start putting other wrestlers in the mix, I'm out.

Ehm! Sgt. Slaughter is an ICON and one of the best G.I.JOE reserve!
http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php?i=7152&catid=member&imageuser=444
http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php?i=5722&catid=member&imageuser=444

YO JOE!!!

Zombie F-Body
08-02-2007, 07:38 AM
I think real people in G.I.Joe make the line more realistic!
I can't really see Joe as ever being realistic, but it does make it more fun and interesting, and I always liked the old real life recruits like Sarge and the Fridge.

It's not really real life, but when ordering a few figures from smalljoes, I noticed for the first time that these are 1:18 scale. After that I took my 1:18 Ertyl Knight Rider KITT and drafted him into my joeverse. I created a whole subteam called Knight Force. I'm looking for a Glasslite Michael Knight (http://www.toymania.com/334archives/knight/michael.htm) right now for team leader. I may try and find some cheap vehicles on eBay and give them some basic black paint jobs (night ops Humvee is on my radar right now, too). The whole concept is AI based urban assault vehicles to work under the banner of Homeland Security. The Foundation for Law and Government has created special AIs for certain vehicles. If I can ever find the 1:18 KARR I will use that for a similar Cobra team where Destro finds KARR's remains and rebuilds him and uses the technology in certain Cobra vehicles.

I can't wait to see this Roddy figure. It all sounds really cool!

Syna3sthesia
08-02-2007, 07:48 AM
I thought the whole Piper thing was a joke. I guess I was dead wrong!

Jay West
08-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Ehm! Sgt. Slaughter is an ICON and one of the best G.I.JOE reserve!
http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php?i=7152&catid=member&imageuser=444
http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php?i=5722&catid=member&imageuser=444

YO JOE!!!

Ha Ha those are great!

neapolitan joe
08-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Ha Ha those are great!

Thank You: I'd be the advocate of the Sarge forever!

C-GDSM 2487
08-02-2007, 08:25 AM
I cant wait to see what he look like in the figure:)
i wouldnt be surrpised if he be a guest at the con like the sarge was last year:rolleyes:

rageseven
08-02-2007, 10:56 AM
According to the text on the cardback, Piper will be wearing his "classic wrestling gear." I really don't like this idea if this refers to his "in ring" attire. I don't think that a figure in wrestling trunks would really fit in. I was hoping for an iron grenadier figure with a Piper head and a hemovable helmet. However, if he's wearing a black and red kilt, a black leather jacket, and a black "reality check" t-shirt that would be alright with me.

Autobot Snowcat
08-02-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't know how, but I have to get me two of those figures.

Curse convention exclusive figures. *sniff*

Lody
08-02-2007, 08:23 PM
What I don't get is that the IG's were TWO years ago so why are they now introducing RRP as the IG trainer???

Patrick A. Riley
08-02-2007, 08:27 PM
What I don't get is that the IG's were TWO years ago so why are they now introducing RRP as the IG trainer???
I guess it's simply the fact that he's appearing at the this year's Con

YoJoeNCSU
08-02-2007, 08:56 PM
I think its an awesome idea. He was one of my favorite wrestlers as a kid. I can't go this year, but hopefully I'll have something good to trade for one after the convention.

I look forward to seeing what the figure looks like. He better have a kilt though.

XtremeWRATH360
08-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Im making it my goal to acquire his figure somehow.

scm
08-02-2007, 10:01 PM
I think its awesome were getting our third sports celebrity

ttfndude
08-02-2007, 11:37 PM
PLEASE Tell me someone can help me out. How much will he be?????? Man I wonder if we can change my mom's huge b-day party I wanna go soooooo bad now!!!!!!!!!

ttfndude

Dirk Diggler
08-03-2007, 12:57 AM
I cant wait to see what he look like in the figure:)
i wouldnt be surrpised if he be a guest at the con like the sarge was last year:rolleyes:

He is indeed at the con!

Dirk Diggler
08-03-2007, 01:04 AM
According to the text on the cardback, Piper will be wearing his "classic wrestling gear." I really don't like this idea if this refers to his "in ring" attire. I don't think that a figure in wrestling trunks would really fit in. I was hoping for an iron grenadier figure with a Piper head and a hemovable helmet. However, if he's wearing a black and red kilt, a black leather jacket, and a black "reality check" t-shirt that would be alright with me.

He's wearing a black leather jacket, a kilt and a black t-shirt with the red Destro symbol!
You can see a pic of him on the filecard!:)

Dirk Diggler
08-03-2007, 01:12 AM

Rowdy Roddy Piper spent some years in the Scotish army.
His birthplace is Glasgow, Scotland.
His birthright was part of the Destro clan!
(from the filecard)

Dreadnok4life
08-03-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm not a con collector. Probably because I can't stomach paying $30 a figure. Anyway I don't dig the wrestlers in the Joe universe. I always thought it was cheesy in a Crystal Ball sort of way. But to each his own.

Lim
08-03-2007, 08:48 AM
I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hope he comes with the bagpipes like the card implies. Probably won't happen, but that'd be awesome.

So, now that more of the card art is up, maybe time to start guessing parts?

Volleydan
08-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler:

"I think real people in G.I.Joe make the line more realistic!"

Since when were professional wrestlers "real people"? :D

statesofeuphoria
08-03-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm not a con collector. Probably because I can't stomach paying $30 a figure. Anyway I don't dig the wrestlers in the Joe universe. I always thought it was cheesy in a Crystal Ball sort of way. But to each his own.

THANK YOU!! That is exactly the way I feel. GIJoe always had a mix of real life and fantasy, but the addition of wrestlers just makes it stupid in my book. It would be like having Shaq as the Joes basketball trainer or something to that effect. I have never found Sgt Slaughter to be intimidating and that is what makes a drill instructor for me. Roddy Piper is the same way. They are just over the top cartoons portrayed by flabby old men that dumb down the GI Joe brand in my opinion. I would rather have no new figures than crap like this. And before anyone says "well if you don't like it, don't buy it". My answer is, don't worry I won't.

karamazov80
08-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Since when were professional wrestlers "real people"?

Are you implying that wrestlers are Cylons or pod people?! Now it all makes sense!

I think that wrestling and Joes do go together because they're both things that many now grown men associate with their childhood. Of course, if you think that the Joes should be realistic in some way, then that's fine. However, I would dare to suggest that for many of us, the nostalgia value is a stronger factor contributing to our love for the Joes than is their degree of realism.

utrom
08-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Rowdy roddy pipper I can not wait to see him but from what I read on the back he going to be a good addtion to the cobra side. I still have to read the file card part. I can not wait to meet him.:)

Jay West
08-03-2007, 01:17 PM
THANK YOU!! That is exactly the way I feel. GIJoe always had a mix of real life and fantasy, but the addition of wrestlers just makes it stupid in my book. It would be like having Shaq as the Joes basketball trainer or something to that effect. I have never found Sgt Slaughter to be intimidating and that is what makes a drill instructor for me. Roddy Piper is the same way. They are just over the top cartoons portrayed by flabby old men that dumb down the GI Joe brand in my opinion. I would rather have no new figures than crap like this. And before anyone says "well if you don't like it, don't buy it". My answer is, don't worry I won't.

See I see things very differently. I consider Piper and Slaughter to be nothing more than actors playing a role in the Joe universe. It is no different (IMO) than picking up any figure based on an actors likeness. I see it the same as picking up a Han Solo figure. The Piper and Slaughter figures may share names with the actors protraying them, but I feel as if it is no different than picking up a Han Solo figure. Sure Harrison Ford is way over the hill, but I don't see Harrison Ford the actor when I get a Solo figure. Just like I don't see the "real" Slaughter or Piper when I think of their figures.

When I have the Slaughter figure he isn't an overweight has been wrestler, he's a tough as nails Army Drill instructor. Same as Piper. When (hopefully) I get his figure, I won't think of the man portraying the figure, but an Iron Grenadier hardcase who is related to Destro.

Volleydan
08-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Nah, I love pro wrestling. I don't have a problem at all with these types of tie-ins (though I thought the Fridge was a little hokey).

In fact, Slaughter is one of my favorite figs from my youth. I'll definitely want a Piper figure - as long as they do it well and it's in the classic (non-25th) style.

quintonarledge
08-03-2007, 01:39 PM
"H*** COMES TO FROG-TOWN" & "THEY LIVE" ARE THE AWESOMEST MOVIES EVER!!!!!

That is why I like the idea of Roddy Piper joining the IG's. Anyone who still thinks this is lame and hates wrestling, go watch John Carpenter's "They Live"!

"I've come to do two things. Kick @$$ and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum"

Zombie F-Body
08-03-2007, 01:48 PM
^^Wurd!

I pop in "They Live" every once and a while just to see the pointless 20 minute fight scene!

I think it's a nod to the older fans. I know I went nuts when Slaughter and the Triple T came out (I missed out on the mail order offer), and I suspect some more did as well. I think their trying to play off of the nostalgia of the past with this. I'm sure a newer, more well known wrestler would have worked, but by selecting a wrestler from the same era as Slaughter, I feel Hasbro is attempting to reach out to the late 20s/early 30s fans.

Having served 8 years in the Army I can point out that there are a lot more un-realistic aspects about GI Joe! I say we need Hulk Hogan as the CO of the Joe raining command! Speaking of other celebrities, I think John Wayne needs a figure, and Chuck Norris as well.

karamazov80
08-03-2007, 06:42 PM
"H*** COMES TO FROG-TOWN" & "THEY LIVE" ARE THE AWESOMEST MOVIES EVER!!!!!

yes. They Live has, undoubtedly, the best fight scene to come out of 80s cinema, plus its vintage John Carpenter, which says it all. And Frogtown. . .is good after a couple of beers, I will say that much. But then again, so is "Never Too Young to Die."

http://www.agonybooth.com/never_too_young/

I also agree that Chuck Norris needs to be made a figure (with 15 or so variants). They could even include him in the comic as the man who provided the inspiration behind the formation of GI Joe. . .and America, really.

Patrick A. Riley
08-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Having characters like Slaughter and Piper is way, way, way, way less stupid than having Mega Monsters, Star Brigade aliens and Manimals

GMW79
08-03-2007, 08:15 PM
A Chuck Norris three pack would be great! One each in 'Nam era army gear, martials attire, and as a Texas Ranger. Sweet! Or is Snake-Eyes actually Chuck Norris...?

stad
08-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Having characters like Slaughter and Piper is way, way, way, way less stupid than having Mega Monsters, Star Brigade aliens and Manimals

Exactly!! And don't forget Cobra-La, the real beginning of all that nonsense!

Plus, I really have to agree with Jay West on this. I see them as the character, not the real-world actor playing the part in WWF, or whatever it is now.

As long as this is it for the wrestlers, that is. Any more, and I'd have to take all of that back, as that would just be too much. PLEASE, let's leave the Fridge out of this as well, I'd rather not revisit that idea.

Mercerbash
08-04-2007, 09:01 PM
A Chuck Norris three pack would be great! One each in 'Nam era army gear, martials attire, and as a Texas Ranger. Sweet! Or is Snake-Eyes actually Chuck Norris...?
outback looks like chuck norris

ttfndude
08-05-2007, 06:51 PM
just have to chime in again. PIPER YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!

So someone pm me who can hook me up with this figure. And would it be wierd to send a life size photo for one of y'all to stand next to Piper. I can't miss my mom's big surprise party so I will miss this joecon. Never been in fact but after hearing about Piper (course I wanted to go for the 25th anniv. stuff) I was just all crazy about going. Anyways my two cents

ttfndude

Zombie F-Body
08-05-2007, 10:35 PM
I think I kinda want one as well. Anyone know what style he'll be in (RAH or 25th.)?

Recondo76
08-07-2007, 09:28 AM
I think I kinda want one as well. Anyone know what style he'll be in (RAH or 25th.)?

Judging from the packaging i'd venture to guess it's in the 25th style...but i don't think anyone really knows for sure.

Recondo76
08-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Judging from the packaging i'd venture to guess it's in the 25th style...but i don't think anyone really knows for sure.

...on second thought...i'll be willing to bet the upper body is a re-paint of comic pack Hannibal...anybody else notice the similarities?

KolobosRexx
08-08-2007, 01:10 AM
...Base on the art, it's a new head-sculpt (saw this confirmed elsewhere), with what looks like at least the lower legs of DTC Spirit (check the boots/kneepads), & the shirt/vest/sleeves from the Devil's Due Hannibal... So it may be a "new" sculpt, but not a "25th anniversary" style one...:D

Super Sport
08-08-2007, 01:31 AM
On the wrestling tip, I have just three words...

FOLEY IS GOD

Jay West
08-08-2007, 08:07 AM
On the wrestling tip, I have just three words...

FOLEY IS GOD

No...as Mick himself said...Foley is Good. :p

Jay West
08-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Does any know if there are plans to preview the figure before the con?

Are there any kind souls who would like to help someone out who isn't going? I'll be in Atlanta the next weekend if anybody would do a cash/figure swap?

romanoaj
08-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Anyone know what style he'll be in (RAH or 25th.)?

The upper torso will most definitely be the same used by Salvo v2. and Hannibal--you can tell by the gold plate on the right hand shoulder on the package. So it will be in the revamped RAH style.

Lody
08-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Picture posted at Mastercollector.com-YUCK and I NEVER critisize the figures. Look at how his boots and legs are molded-not even the same color and he looks like he had some MAJOR knee surgery!

Skystriker
08-24-2007, 06:08 PM
i dont think I will be getting Rowdy.

Average Joe
08-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, the knee thing is pretty bad. The knee joint should have been flesh colored....they still could have painted the knee pad black. Poor decision IMO.

The rest of the figure is cool though. He looks kinda funny not wearing the jacket, so if I get one I'll make sure to always leave the jacket and kilt on. Hopefully he's wearing them in the sealed package so that I don't have to open it to get him properly dressed.

TheReverend
08-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I think I'll get one, hes not that bad. I kind of dig him other then the freaky knee thing... but I'll try to pik one up - if someone going to the con will hook me up ( :D ) - I won't pay a load of cash for one though...

gnawgahyde
08-24-2007, 06:33 PM
He looks cool except for the knee problem...but if you leave him carded you'll never see it. I will definitely be getting one.

cmderinchief
08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
It's OK. If past history means anything, this is a proof shot and maybe we'll see some changes to the final fig.

Patrick A. Riley
08-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Definitely not interested. Speaking as a Joe fan and as a wrestling fan, that is not a good effort, especially for what it will cost and the price it will go for on eBay

The Real Destro
08-24-2007, 09:35 PM
They have the photos now of the figure itself on mastercollector.com.

drveovru2
08-25-2007, 12:27 AM
WoW, not really impressed. plus I hate DTC molds. If it was rah, I would of purchased it no matter how ugly it was.

Saves me a few bucks.

Super Sport
08-25-2007, 01:29 AM
http://www.mastercollector.com/neat/gijoe/atlanta/RoddyPiperpreview.cfm

Taichiro
08-25-2007, 04:18 AM
Meh.

I'm indifferent.

if one comes my way, I won't say no, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to pick it up.

Dirk Diggler
08-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Saw the figure today and have to say: I'm very disappointed! :(

No beard, ugly kilt, the knee issue...

Hopefully it's a prototype! Don't know if I buy one!

ttfndude
08-25-2007, 11:06 AM
I saw the pics and really you can't expect much for a 3 3/4 figure as far as a real kilt goes. They are going to go cheap to produce it. The knee thing is probably just a prototype thing, but in the end I GOTTA HAVE ONE. I so think this is the best the only thing better would be to get a Sting joe figure:D

ttfndude

cmderinchief
08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
'tis not getting a lot of love on the boards. Lot's o' people taking a pass. Oh well, I am a shill for the club, so I will get one, and not feel so guilty when I get another. :-)

Bigtattoo
08-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Im gutted.
I really hoped it would be RAH sculpt.
Still getting one though....if only to customise into RAH.

GungHo
08-25-2007, 10:23 PM
I kinda like it myself......I do wish it was in the 25th RAH sculpt too....but oh well....kinda cool.

Acantilado
08-26-2007, 07:35 AM
The only real interesting thing about this fig, IMO, are the wrestling-style boots. Besides that, he doesn't even resemble Rody.

Oh, well, nice kilt.

KolobosRexx
08-27-2007, 02:02 PM
...I think this looks pretty danged neat!! Not sure why they threw in the black Serpentor helm instead of bagpipes or a claymore sword or something...

freak4ll
08-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Don't know if this was posted here or not yet, but pics of Piper are available.

2007 Roddy Piper Souvenir Figure (http://www.mastercollector.com/neat/gijoe/atlanta/RoddyPiperpreview.cfm)

Looks pretty neat, I won't be getting one because I'm only collecting 25th anniversary molds, but he looks pretty neat.