Would you support a 3 3/4 Adventure Team line? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Would you support a 3 3/4 Adventure Team line?

Jay West
09-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Probably ahead of myself, but I was trying to think of ways that GI Joe could continue after the "newness" of this line wears off. I think an Adventure Team line similar to what the 8 inch line has now would be cool. Take a great sculpt of a well known Joe and put him/her in a set packed with accessories and role playing items.

It doesn't necessarily have to be military themed (in fact like the 8 inch AT lines I wouldn't make it military themed), but there is nothing to say it doesn't fit into the Joe line. You could probably even charge $10 for a set if you filled it with the right accessories.

The Faceless Master
09-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Didn't TRU try this route in the mid-90s by releasing the Dino Hunters set
yet all it did was collect dust...

I say Hasbro just keep releasing good quality army builder sets :cool:

Erick
09-18-2007, 02:27 PM
I don't know if it would be a mistake, but I certainly don't see this idea getting good results. Most people wouldn't be interested.

Lim
09-18-2007, 02:43 PM
I'd be for it only if they made 3 3/4" scale stuff from the original line (mummies, yetis, those awesome yellow 6 wheeld atvs, etc). And a bunch of beard guys (BEARDS, not goatees)

Jay West
09-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't know if it would be a mistake, but I certainly don't see this idea getting good results. Most people wouldn't be interested.

Really? Why not. Kids wouldn't be interested in crazy tigers, bears, crocs or whatever else they could come up with? I'd imagine most people on this board that are 25th fans would eat them up.

Jay West
09-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Didn't TRU try this route in the mid-90s by releasing the Dino Hunters set
yet all it did was collect dust...

I say Hasbro just keep releasing good quality army builder sets :cool:

Yeah but Joe at theat time was dying wasn't it? And I am talking less sci fi and more like the Recondo AT set. Shrink that down to 3 3/4 size and I would definitly dig it. Would kids?

RamaSha007
09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Would you support a 3 3/4 Adventure Team line?

No, I wouldn't.

dockingbay97
09-18-2007, 04:53 PM
I'd imagine most people on this board that are 25th fans would eat them up.

I wouldn't.

Fans of AT are generally people who are old enough to have had AT toys as kids. I for one wouldn't be interested in the slightest with an 3 3/4 AT line. And I don't think it would particularly appeal to 12" AT collectors.

green firefly
09-18-2007, 04:54 PM
I would be very interested if the figures were old sculpt.

Erick
09-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Really? Why not. Kids wouldn't be interested in crazy tigers, bears, crocs or whatever else they could come up with? I'd imagine most people on this board that are 25th fans would eat them up.

It wouldn't appeal to most of the collectors around here. As dockingbay said, the fans of AT are usually in another age group.

Why don't you make a poll of this topic? so you can see the results and convince yourself

Deadman2099
09-18-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm not exactly an old timer, 28, but I did have my brother's handme down figures. He was old enough to have the old AT stuff, and Super Joe, and then of course the first couple years of RAH. So, having actually played with that stuff until it literally fell apart, I would like to see some of the original Joe in with the new. Joseph Colton's figures were a decent start and so were the keychain figures/30th anniversary sets. and the ATV's and mobile command center would be cool to see again :P

Bigtattoo
09-18-2007, 05:58 PM
If done properly, Id love to see this.

Id keep a military theme though,

eg, a desert group with Dusty and a few others, in desert jeep, with camels, sunglasses and a set mission,

such as theyre on a long range recon mission.

Or a jungle group of Outback, Recondo and Dart who are on a rescue mission to find a downed aircraft

Or an Arctic team incestigating the disappearance of a group of scientists

I could see that being a success- but I dont think directly tying in to the AT theme would work, for the aforementioned reasons

Pit Viper
09-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I love to see a line like this but I'd rather the character designs be more like the 70s version of the Adventure Team rather than having them based on specific RAH characters. I like the idea of being able to more or less give the figures any code names you want rather than having thefigure tied down to any kind of continuity and/or backstory.

Derek2783
09-18-2007, 07:41 PM
I love to see a line like this but I'd rather the character designs be more like the 70s version of the Adventure Team rather than having them based on specific RAH characters. I like the idea of being able to more or less give the figures any code names you want rather than having thefigure tied down to any kind of continuity and/or backstory.

I'm actually of the exact oposite opinion. I don't think generic figures in the 3 3/4 line work for Joes. Maybe for "Elite Operations" cheap stuff, but not for joes. The only way to make something like this feasable would be to use nostalgia for existing characters, and expand upon the comic pack idea... IE, 1 figure with a cool playset or a ton of accessories from the comic book; gliders, animals, crocs, rocket packs, etc.

cobraferret
09-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I would say if this was the age before video games then yes a good idea,but now mostly kids play video games and the majority don't really have that much of an imagination.
Remember in the movie back to the future 2 when macfly says he is a crack shot at that video game and after he is done the kid says"You mean you have to use your hands.Thats a babies toy."
I think that this is the kind of reaction it may get.Hasbro (any company for that matter)likes making money first then the fans will get taken care of.

Pit Viper
09-18-2007, 11:01 PM
It could work. People would just have to accept the idea of figures that don't have any characterization.

gijoe071681
09-19-2007, 08:35 AM
i don't think it would work i agree with cobra ferret kids nowdays have no imagination after the age of about 8 they quit using it and thats it so probably not. but maybe a master collector esclusive or something like that in a limited quantity

Zodiacflash
09-19-2007, 09:58 PM
When the Joes made a comeback in '82 it sort of had a little bit of that AT feel for me because Breaker, Clutch, and Rock 'n Roll had beards. Back then I thought that because of those guys they would put out some yellow helicopters and ATV's to go alongside the military stuff. I guess when they didn't it was kind of a let-down for me. I'd definitely collect a 3.75 inch AT line.

MikePrime
09-19-2007, 10:24 PM
I'd support it after Hasbro took care of their 25th anniversary line first.

kerowack
09-19-2007, 10:32 PM
I don't want to see this at the expense of "classic" remakes. Before we see a Spirit, Dusty, Major Bludd, Falcon, Outback or Scrap Iron, I don't want to see "Jungle Force Snake Eyes!"

I'm worried they are gonna do a whole Ninja five pack and waste those slots on yet more SE/SS...

Cobra-Loyalist
09-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Probably ahead of myself, but I was trying to think of ways that GI Joe could continue after the "newness" of this line wears off. I think an Adventure Team line similar to what the 8 inch line has now would be cool. Take a great sculpt of a well known Joe and put him/her in a set packed with accessories and role playing items.

It doesn't necessarily have to be military themed (in fact like the 8 inch AT lines I wouldn't make it military themed), but there is nothing to say it doesn't fit into the Joe line. You could probably even charge $10 for a set if you filled it with the right accessories.

My opinion:

I would hate to see a AT themed 3 3/4th's line. Sorry, but the Adventure Team type stuff is just down right boring to me.

- CL

Dreadnok4life
09-19-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm probably one of the older people on this board. I was a kid when the 12" Joe changed from a military theme to the Adventure Team thing. I actually didn't really care for it. I incorporated it into my military adventures but ultimately as a boy I wanted to shoot the bad guys and not hunt for a tiger. Now I know todays kids are different from what their parents, or grandparents were like in the 60's and 70's. But in the age of Grand Theft Auto I would imagine they would still rather go after the bad guy than dress up like the Crocodile Hunter and go search for the Gold Budha statue.

Would I support a line like this? I guess it would depend. Someone mentioned the Dusty theme pack. That actually sounds pretty cool. But if it was basically a miniature version of the 70's AT product, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

This may be controversial, but does everyone think 3 3/4" Joes are bought mainly by / for kids? I think adults buy them more than the kids do. I could be wrong and I would love to see some statistics on it. But everytime I see someone buying 3 3/4" Joes, it's some guy in his 30's. What do you guys think?

MikePrime
09-19-2007, 10:59 PM
If it's not video games, kids always like Power Rangers and wrestling figures.

Goldbug
09-19-2007, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't mind.

Wal-Mart already has something like that with camping & outdoor acccessories.

The Mad Bubbler
09-20-2007, 01:00 AM
I would support it, if it was done well. i do think what would sell best would be themed packs using ARAH characters, as some have mentioned, but I;d probably still buy it if it was 3 3/4 versions of the 70's-style characters. I think this would be a good chance to get some very cool accessories and animals we might not otherwise get. Muskrat Vs. Croc Master with some neat swamp gear and a croc or two? Wet Suit Vs. Undertow with a squid? a mountain adventure set with Alpine, a Rock Viper (both in cool Arctic camo) and, yes, a Yeti (hey, we can take some inspiration from the original line)... there would be possibilities for some cool stuff here.