The rest of the Plague [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : The rest of the Plague

skullheadman
09-30-2007, 11:01 AM
This subject has to do with the comics, but it's general info for those interested in comic continuity and making the rest of the Plague Troopers. In Devil's Due's latest G.I. Joe Special Missions, there is a story about a Cobra mission where a bunch of operatives are led by Black-out and the Eel who is to become Guillotine. Besides the mission objective (I won't spoil that here), the operatives are being evaluated on their qualifications to be members of the Plague. At the end, CC is talking to Black-out and Guillotine, and there is a bank of computer screens that show all of the candidates for the Plague. (I thought this was very reminiscent of the scene in Marvel's G.I. Joe #1 where General Flagg and Sparks have all the Joes pulled up on screens, including the mysterious Shooter) So, FYI, here is the roster:

A Sand-viper (he will become Grim Skull)
A S.A.W.-viper (he'll be Gallows)
Aleph (a Night Creeper commander)
Interrogator (it is revealed that he was a former Tele-viper)
Munitia (it's revealed that she was a former HISS driver before becoming an individual operative)
Nick Bailey (this is a comic-specific character who is a US Army soldier being recruited by CC)
A Snow Serpent
A Laser-viper
A CG Immortal
A Range-viper
An A.V.A.C. pilot

Add Guillotine, and that gives you the proposed 12 Plague Troopers. BTW, Rip-it and Sky Creeper were being evaluated too, but didn't make it to the final roster.

I just thought this was an awesome example of the comics filling in a gap were the toys left off. And hopefully this might be the push we need to get the rest of the figures (or at least we can customize them).

2LT VIPER
09-30-2007, 05:15 PM
The only thing that will put GI JOE as a major marketing machine again will be movies. If they make 3 movies we will have Joe stuff for the next 6 years. The comics do not reach enough people to warrant the expenditure. Not to mention, I told the guy at the con this weekend I quit collecting the comic because of their ability to shut down a comic book at the drop of the hat and leave a bunch of loose ends................

skullheadman
10-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Well, in this YoJoe Magazine article: http://www.yojoe.com/faq/joecon07.shtml, we get the rest of the codenames for the Plague. I can't believe that this and the aforementioned comic haven't generated any interest around here. I thought this stuff would be a breath of fresh air amongst all the discussion of secondary market prices for con exclusives and divulging how many times we've all been to Target looking for 25th figures. Personally, I like the further developments of the Plague Troopers. This brings me back to the old days of Joe collecting, where sometimes things were first shown in the comics, or where toy concepts were developed further by writers who had an interest in the line. I remember when the Plague Troopers first came out and there was a buzz about them here. There was much speculation about how the rest of the roster would be filled-out. Now we know! I also recall some conjecture that all of the Plague members' codenames would start with 'G' since that was the case with the first three in figure form. It does seem that there are three-man teams with codenames grouped by the same letter, with Munitia being the odd one out. I'm looking forward to further developments. And while I'm keeping my fingers crossed for figures, I'll be happy with more development of these characters in the comic - at least that way we'll have material for customs.

Oh yeah, according to the article I noted above, Blackout is part of the team, bringing the number to 13. Unlucky for the Joes, huh?

skinny
10-13-2007, 06:37 PM
There are definitely big plans in store for the plague, devils due brought huge posters of the new characters to the convention during their roundtable if i said more id be letting out a spoiler so i will leave it at that.

YELSEW
10-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Well, in this YoJoe Magazine article: http://www.yojoe.com/faq/joecon07.shtml, we get the rest of the codenames for the Plague. I can't believe that this and the aforementioned comic haven't generated any interest around here. I thought this stuff would be a breath of fresh air amongst all the discussion of secondary market prices for con exclusives and divulging how many times we've all been to Target looking for 25th figures. Personally, I like the further developments of the Plague Troopers. This brings me back to the old days of Joe collecting, where sometimes things were first shown in the comics, or where toy concepts were developed further by writers who had an interest in the line. I remember when the Plague Troopers first came out and there was a buzz about them here. There was much speculation about how the rest of the roster would be filled-out. Now we know! I also recall some conjecture that all of the Plague members' codenames would start with 'G' since that was the case with the first three in figure form. It does seem that there are three-man teams with codenames grouped by the same letter, with Munitia being the odd one out. I'm looking forward to further developments. And while I'm keeping my fingers crossed for figures, I'll be happy with more development of these characters in the comic - at least that way we'll have material for customs.

Oh yeah, according to the article I noted above, Blackout is part of the team, bringing the number to 13. Unlucky for the Joes, huh?

What are the names of all of them?

Deadshot
10-13-2007, 11:08 PM
* Guillotine COBRA Eel
* Gallows SAW Viper
* Grim Skull Sand-Viper
* Blackout COBRA Operative; Joe Trainee
* Body Bags -- Range Viper (not Skull Buster)
* Bayonet -- Snow Serpent
* Munitia -- H.I.S.S. Tank Driver
* Velocity -- A.V.A.C.
* Vector -- Laser Viper
* Vanguard -- Nick Bailey (the character Cobra Commander recruited in ELITE #25).
* Interrogator COBRA Operative
* Incision -- Aleph, the Night Creeper Leader
* Infrared -- Crimson Guard/Crimson Guard Immortal

Shadow_Contact
10-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Are there pics of them? do the majority look like Grimskull?

skinny
10-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Are there pics of them? do the majority look like Grimskull?

all the uniforms look basically the same with a few minor tweaks here and there to say more and why they did that would be a spoiler.

send me a pm and i will tell you more

Bigtattoo
10-14-2007, 10:51 AM
So they are all helmeted, apart from one or two?

thats disappointing.

I think this is/was a great idea, but the figures were really poorly executed (that SE torso is about one of the worst from the new sculpt line IMO), and that cooled my interest somewhat.

Still, I look forward to reading about these in the comics.

Maybe MC (sorry- GIJCC) can do something with these at a future con.

Id love to see these done RAH. (Heck, even 25th)

Volleydan
10-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I hate to be a negative nellie here, but what was wrong with the concept of "nameless, faceless legions" that endured the past 25 years?

Now DD has decided that they need to spice it up by taking one "special" operative from seemingly every major branch of the Cobra army and giving them a character? Feh.

It was bad enough when they made the decision to scale back the Joe team to under ten operatives:mad: . I had some hope a couple of issues ago when they claimed to be expanding, but those were dashed when I realized that their concept of expanding the team was to call up three more people (ooh, that'll have the legions of Cobra troops shaking in their booties!).

Right now, I'm almost rooting for DD to lose the license....it would be better than having them continue to butcher the Joe legacy.

Pit Viper
10-14-2007, 02:25 PM
It's not like Devil's Due created the concept themselves. They are expanding upon the concept as it was introduced in the action figure line itself.

Volleydan
10-14-2007, 04:43 PM
I guess that depends on whether you consider anything released after 1994 to be part of "the line".....

Shipwreck"n"polly
10-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Did the world stop turning in 1994 i sure hope not otherwise i would never had grown up and we would have missed out on a heck of a lot of cool stuff. The world war III story is the best dd has had in a long time. and you are totally wrong about cobra just being nameless masses read your marvel comic history you will find many characters created from generic cobra legions like candy's dad who was a crimson guard, or the saw viper who killed doc, or the cobra officer who was named scarface, what dd is doing with the plague troops is nothing new larry hama used it often to make the cobra legions more personal. Don't be a hater just because you don't like the direction dd is going because there are many people who love the mag.

phillinley
10-14-2007, 07:17 PM
I guess that depends on whether you consider anything released after 1994 to be part of "the line".....

I consider characters like Wraith (who's not even a figure) and Kamakura to be more a part of the Joe line than the star brigade and eco warriors of the mid 90's. I don't ever want the storyline and characters to grow stale. Part of the coolness about gijoe to me was always adding new identities into the line. Sometimes you get a Kamakura, sometimes you get a Swamp Rat :P It's hit and miss but I always appreciate them adding new faces.

Bigtattoo
10-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I hate to be a negative nellie here, but what was wrong with the concept of "nameless, faceless legions" that endured the past 25 years?

Now DD has decided that they need to spice it up by taking one "special" operative from seemingly every major branch of the Cobra army and giving them a character? Feh.

It was bad enough when they made the decision to scale back the Joe team to under ten operatives:mad: . I had some hope a couple of issues ago when they claimed to be expanding, but those were dashed when I realized that their concept of expanding the team was to call up three more people (ooh, that'll have the legions of Cobra troops shaking in their booties!).

Right now, I'm almost rooting for DD to lose the license....it would be better than having them continue to butcher the Joe legacy.

Fair enough- each to their own.

Thats the great thing about GIJoe- its your own, personal universe and you can structure it any way you want....

I have to say I really like the concept of creating more individuals within Cobra.

IMO it doesnt detract from the nameless, faceless masses, but enhances them having leaders/outstanding individuals who rise above the norm.

But, as I said, thats just what I feel....

I happen to agree with you about the Joe team- they have pared them down too much.

That said, if it were more obscure characters, it would give the writers scope to develop their personalities and flesh them out.

The problem is that they (almost have to) go with the big-name, most poular guys who are all well established as characters.

The only avenues they leave themselves is to push the envelope re storylines, or risk making fundamental changes that wont go down well with fans.

skullheadman
10-14-2007, 09:15 PM
And the Joe team, in general (not going just by DD's current storyline) has gotten away from a group of individual character and added their own faceless legions, i.e. Greenshirts, Steel Brigade, and Reservists. I try to take all elements of Joe and Cobra and integrate them into my "Joeverse".

Jay West
10-15-2007, 08:55 AM

It is obvious that you don't care for what DD is doing, but as Shipreck N Polly pointed out they are following a tradition of named characters rising up out of the Legions. I can add Fred the CG who became Cobra Commander or the characters from the Cartoon, Clay Moore or Evy (Sp?) the Snow Serpent.

As for the Joes, as of the current preview there are 203 active members.

samluvsjoes
10-15-2007, 10:14 AM
This subject has to do with the comics, but it's general info for those interested in comic continuity and making the rest of the Plague Troopers. In Devil's Due's latest G.I. Joe Special Missions, there is a story about a Cobra mission where a bunch of operatives are led by Black-out and the Eel who is to become Guillotine. Besides the mission objective (I won't spoil that here), the operatives are being evaluated on their qualifications to be members of the Plague. At the end, CC is talking to Black-out and Guillotine, and there is a bank of computer screens that show all of the candidates for the Plague. (I thought this was very reminiscent of the scene in Marvel's G.I. Joe #1 where General Flagg and Sparks have all the Joes pulled up on screens, including the mysterious Shooter) So, FYI, here is the roster:

A Sand-viper (he will become Grim Skull)
A S.A.W.-viper (he'll be Gallows)
Aleph (a Night Creeper commander)
Interrogator (it is revealed that he was a former Tele-viper)
Munitia (it's revealed that she was a former HISS driver before becoming an individual operative)
Nick Bailey (this is a comic-specific character who is a US Army soldier being recruited by CC)
A Snow Serpent
A Laser-viper
A CG Immortal
A Range-viper
An A.V.A.C. pilot

Add Guillotine, and that gives you the proposed 12 Plague Troopers. BTW, Rip-it and Sky Creeper were being evaluated too, but didn't make it to the final roster.

I just thought this was an awesome example of the comics filling in a gap were the toys left off. And hopefully this might be the push we need to get the rest of the figures (or at least we can customize them).

Wow, Interrogator was a former Tele-Viper? Boooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sam

skullheadman
10-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Sorry to bore you so, Sam. I personally like little background tidbits in any stories I'm interested in, whether it's Joes, movies, T.V. shows, fictional novels, or historical accounts. And, BTW, you don't have to quote the whole message to address one part; you can decide where the quote starts and ends. Unless, of course, the whole thing is what you find boring, which is cool too.

I think that Interrogator being a Tele-viper could lend itself to an interesting background story of how he became an individual operative. He might have been using his charisma and compelling voice (as mentioned on his filecard) to manipulate events over the airwaves, countering orders, or delivering his own commands, or swindling fellow Vipers out of riches and glory. Maybe he was too good at getting folks to do his bidding over the airwaves. He could have been broadcasting psy-ops messages to the natives in countries where Cobra was stirring up trouble in a most effective manner. Maybe he was just really good at eliciting information for which he had no "need to know" about out of higher-ranking Cobras. Whatever he was up to may have brought him to the attention of the chain-of-command, where it was realized that his talents could be better used to extract information from prisoners. Viola! A little imagination and you have more of backstory for Interrogator in your Joeverse.