And they say scalpers aren't a problem [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : And they say scalpers aren't a problem

Volleydan
10-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Search EBay for "Starduster Grand Slam", then filter to completed listings. There are sixteen (!) completed listings for this set from one seller. This doesn't even count the ones he has that haven't sold yet.

Of course, he's selling them at a healthy markup....almost double their original price.

Now I'm not saying that people who didn't go to the con shouldn't expect to pay a little more for con figures than those who did go. But we all know this particular set sold out early in the con and many attendees who wanted it didn't get one.

Why? Because this dealer/scalper bought somewhere upwards of 20 of them - and probably before the attendees even got a chance to get in the door.

Conventions that purport to be about the collectors should not allow dealers to get first crack at the merchandise and they should impose a strict per person limit on the number of limited edition items they can buy. Those two easy steps would take care of most of the problem right there.......

karamazov80
10-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Conventions that purport to be about the collectors should not allow dealers to get first crack at the merchandise and they should impose a strict per person limit on the number of limited edition items they can buy. Those two easy steps would take care of most of the problem right there.......
Well, extrapolating some other points made on other threads here, some might say:

"They got there first, so they deserved it, if I got there first, I would have bought 20 Starduster/Grand Slams"

or

"Some people like to have one loose set and 20 mint in bags, can't fault them for that!"

So those are alternative points, as well, that I might just throw up pre-emptively. . .though it is only fair to note. . .they are not my points :(

I guess your issue about the dealers muddies the waters, but. . .what is a "dealer," anyway, if its some guy that runs a website and scalps on eBay?

Kozin
10-04-2007, 10:27 AM
For the record, dealers do not get first crack at the exclusives.

All attendees have the same chance at them, starting Thursday night. The policy is that you must be wearing your convention badge otherwise they will not let you purchase anything. Signs with this are posted.

In addition, they DO limit the number of items you can buy per day. In the case of this year it was a maximum of 5 items per person per day. In past years it's been two the first day then 5 then rest.

Does it suck that items sell out, yes. I missed out on getting any Pipers simply because as a dealer I was too busy at my booth to stand in line to wait.

John

Damien
10-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Couldn't agree more. This is an unfortunate problem with any toy that adults may be collecting. I can't tell you how many times I've seen my local scalper (he runs his own comic/collectibes shop in the city) at Toys R' Us with an entire carraige full of new Star Wars, Marvel Legends, and G.I. Joe figures.

It happens at Cons too. Even happens ON eBay. I've seen known scalpers bidding on auctions in the hopes of getting an item they can sell for even more later on.

I wish there really were an easy way to fix the problem. But there isn't. Any regulations you could set down in order to prevent scalping, which undoubtedly is damaging to the entire hobby, will unfairly limit real collectors. Imagine, if you will, that you are going to Con. 10 friends of yours can't go, so they pay you in advance to pick up some stuff for them. This isn't uncommon at all, in my experience.

If you limit how many limited edition items someone can buy at Con, this wouldn't be possible. If each friend wants 2, and you want 2 for yourself, that's 22 figures you have to buy for -real- collectors. But you'll be taken for a scalper in the process and refused the sale.

Your best option, and I've said this countless times in countless places, is to NOT purchase from scalpers. No matter how badly you want an item, don't buy it from someone that's obviously scalping it. If all collectors could agree on this extremely simple solution, you'd quickly put scalpers out of business.

samluvsjoes
10-04-2007, 11:07 AM
The simplest way to stop this type of thing is to have patience and not buy from the scalpers on Ebay. But, patience is not a virtue for most of us "instant gratification" folks, thus scalpers will continue to scalp.
Sam

Volleydan
10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm not talking about per item per day limits...I'm suggesting an absolute limit on purchases by an individual or company in attendance. They give you a punch card and once it's punched, you're done. Check IDs to prevent duplication.

I realize that in rare circumstances, some collectors who have promised to buy boatloads of stuff for friends back home will also be impacted, but that's (IMO) a small price to pay for shutting down the scalpers.

I've heard the arguments that Karamazov is making, but in this case, they're moot....we already KNOW that this guy bought them just to scalp because the evidence is in the EBay archives.

As far as who gets first crack, it's been widely reported that those with vendor badges had access to the product on "setup day".....a full day or two before the fans could get in. Also remember SDCC, when the Destros were sold out before the fans even got in the door. Even at local shows, all the good stuff is purchased by other vendors the night before the show who then re-sell them at a profit for THEM.....and thus scalping the fans.

karamazov80
10-04-2007, 11:20 AM
The simplest way to stop this type of thing is to have patience and not buy from the scalpers on Ebay. But, patience is not a virtue for most of us "instant gratification" folks, thus scalpers will continue to scalp.
Sam
All you need is one rotten egg to spoil the stew. . .or whatever the metaphor is. Its the prisoner's dilemma! Game theory! My name's Sam, too!

samluvsjoes
10-04-2007, 11:23 AM
All you need is one rotten egg to spoil the stew. . .or whatever the metaphor is. Its the prisoner's dilemma! Game theory! My name's Sam, too!

Cool! The smartest people I know are named Sam.;)
Sam

gunslingercbr
10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
by next year the prices will drop on ebay, they always do. so, pretend they don't exist for a year, then next year start searching for them as if they were new. the collectors need to have everything immediately is as much an enemy to his wallet as scalpers.

carnage717
10-04-2007, 11:54 AM
As far as who gets first crack, it's been widely reported that those with vendor badges had access to the product on "setup day".....a full day or two before the fans could get in. Also remember SDCC, when the Destros were sold out before the fans even got in the door. Even at local shows, all the good stuff is purchased by other vendors the night before the show who then re-sell them at a profit for THEM.....and thus scalping the fans.

You seem to be confused between the con exclusives and the sales floor. The only way you could get your con identification before Thrusday was to go on one of the tours they were offering. All vendors had to stand in line just like everyone else to get their con badges and also had to wait in the long line like everyone else for the exclusives. From standing in line I heard several people talking that were some online stores that had all their employees buy the maximum allowed, which was 5 for each person and they were compensated for extra sets they bought. As far as the sales floor goes, yes the vendors do get first crack at alot of the stuff but thats how it is every year.

Volleydan
10-04-2007, 01:27 PM
From standing in line I heard several people talking that were some online stores that had all their employees buy the maximum allowed, which was 5 for each person and they were compensated for extra sets they bought.

See, that's exactly what I was talking about. A vendor should be alloted no more figures than an attendee, not given the opportunity to have his ten employees also pick up five each for him to scalp later. If he wants to sell his five, that's his business...but it's maddening to see him sending ten other people to pick up more for his inventory, while collectors end up not having a chance to get any.

It's the ability (and willingness) to find these sort of loopholes that allow these people to take advantage of the system. There's no way that the system should allow 20+ figures from a limited run of 500 to end up in the same person's hands - especially when that person's only goal is to sell them at a 150%+ markup.

I would dare to say that the purpose of a fan convention is to serve and reward the fans, not give toy scalpers a windfall. Unfortunately, all Hasbro and the GIJCC seem to care about is that, by hook or by crook, they sold out.:(

karamazov80
10-04-2007, 01:39 PM
See, that's exactly what I was talking about. A vendor should be alloted no more figures than an attendee, not given the opportunity to have his ten employees also pick up five each for him to scalp later. If he wants to sell his five, that's his business...but it's maddening to see him sending ten other people to pick up more for his inventory, while collectors end up not having a chance to get any.

It's the ability (and willingness) to find these sort of loopholes that allow these people to take advantage of the system. There's no way that the system should allow 20+ figures from a limited run of 500 to end up in the same person's hands - especially when that person's only goal is to sell them at a 150%+ markup.

I would dare to say that the purpose of a fan convention is to serve and reward the fans, not give toy scalpers a windfall. Unfortunately, all Hasbro and the GIJCC seem to care about is that, by hook or by crook, they sold out.:(

But how, exactly, could you avoid this loophole? It would be nigh impossible. If they could somehow ensure that "employees" were restricted from buying up these figures for businesses, then these businesses would simply pay you, me, or someone else to do the same thing. From what I understand reading through this thread, what the conventioners are doing is probably just about the best that they can do (though I personally have no idea what's really going on, as I've never been to a toy convention, and I don't know the specific ins and outs of this one).

Damien
10-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately, all Hasbro and the GIJCC seem to care about is that, by hook or by crook, they sold out

I disagree. I've had the fortune of talking with fellas in the 'biz before about similar subjects and they all say pretty much the same thing: Toy companies frown on scalping, but there isn't really anything they can DO about it.

Some companies, like Hasbro I will point out, try to dissuade scalpers by evenly-packing their case assortments. This was in response to short-packed figures being immediately scalped on eBay, depriving collectors of those figures.

Besides evenly packing your cases, and trying to convince retailers to order plenty of cases of product, what else can a company really do against scalping? For Con exclusives it's even harder. How do you stop scalpers and still make it a Con exclusive? If you can answer that question, you're a genius.

themoney75
10-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Sam

yep the only way to stop it...i never buy any new stuff from ebay that being one reason and the other i have more patience than money.lol

flywheels
10-04-2007, 05:02 PM
No one says you've got to buy them. Heck, the loose bag set from this year's Botcon was bringing in well over $600 on eBay after the show was over. If I had known that I would've bought a loose set as well just to put on eBay.

As a collector looking for this year's Joe con exclusive items it does suck that so many are priced out of my "willing to pay" range...so I just pass and hope I find them elsewhere at a more reasonable price. Or I just settle to go without them.

Johnny
10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Viva la communism. The capitalistic beorgeois is keeping us down. I digress. So does anyone want to buy 1 of my 40 Starduster/Grandslam Unopened???? j/k As long as there are collectors for a group of items, there will be people trying to exploit the collectors...especially you completists out there. Facts of life....You take a spoon, you take knife, you take them all and there you have....sorry for that...

Johnny

FireFox91
10-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Something that DB97 mention before that I have to agree on. You can't really scalp convention items. They are exclusive therefore not readily available to take away from the general collector community at retail. If want them that bad you either go to the convention (which shouldn't be your only reason for going) or pay extra to someone who did go. If you find someone that will sell them at cost, good for you. But don't get mad at someone trying to re-coop the expense of going to the convention. They arn't cheap at all. I shared a room with 2 other people and still spent close to $1500 when it was all done not including my pre-ordered convention set. I didn't even get anything extra to sell on eBay, just 1 of each item for a friend. If you went to the convention you had plenty of time to get your set. The Roddy figures didn't sell out until Saturday and the jet pack troops were gone on Sunday morning. It wasn't like the dealer and his employees got them all before open registration on Friday morning. Everyone that diserved a crack got one. If you didn't go to the show then you really shouldn't expect to get them for the same price as someone that did go. Selling out faster is better in the long run because it encourages the club to keep making new items.

seaslug
10-05-2007, 01:27 AM
I hate to say it but there are 2 sides to every story. Sometimes con exclusives go down in value. How many people bought dreadnok sets a few years back and lost money. It is the chance they take. I normally don't pay scalper prices but for the piper figure I did. I bought it while the con was going on, BIN on ebay. I paid a premium because I was in fear I might not get one any other way. I paid an extra $25 for mine, much cheaper than going to the con. This figure could have tanked in value after the con, but I was willing to take that chance. I also bought right away because I also feared it would go up which it has. The point is you win some you loose some. Scalpers are just areality of the hobby. If you want to stop it don't pay scalper prices and make the sacrifice of certain items. I don't even consider selling con items as scalping. This is the pay off for going to the convention it's master collectors way of saying thank you to their atendees. It also brings more people to the con, this is how some con goers pay there way. As far as people buying stuff at walmart and throwing it on ebay, many collectors who do not have a lot of cash do this to get money for there collection. Is it the scalpers fault if people are impatient? If everybody had the same shot at the same price everyone would have the same collection. If someone offered you double the value of your house or your car wouldn't you sell. Should we be mad at Hasbro because they make a profit too.

Taichiro
10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
The easiest way to fix this is:

two of each item per person, period.

if you want more than that, bring people who don't want the items, or do without.

that makes sure that you can have one MOC, and one loose, if you so choose, or you can have one set to keep, and one set to sell, or however you wanna do it.

but it also makes sure everybody gets a shot.

barring that, you should be able to choose which ones and how many you want when you prereg for the con, pay for them right there, and they'll be held for you.

Patrick A. Riley
10-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Well I just hosed. Someone agreed to get me a Starduster/Grand Slam pack, but then decided to sell it on eBay instead due to the higher prices the packs are going for on there :mad:

Johnny
10-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Could be worse Patrick....you could be on fire....

Johnny

karamazov80
10-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Well I just hosed. Someone agreed to get me a Starduster/Grand Slam pack, but then decided to sell it on eBay instead due to the higher prices the packs are going for on there :mad:

if potential money from eBay > money from informal agreement + guilt, then you have, American-style capitalism. . .I mean. . .rational economic behavior.

Deogg
10-06-2007, 06:17 PM
The easiest way to fix this is:

two of each item per person, period.

if you want more than that, bring people who don't want the items, or do without.

Strict per-person-limit+permanently marking badges=a darn good scalper deterrent. I have seen this used many times and guess what? It WORKS.

spiderpumpkin
10-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I bought sets of the jet troopers on Thursday night to open and display. I spent nearly $100 for 2 sets which is all I could afford to buy and still have money for the sales floor. They are very cool and I wish I had more for army building but the price was a deterent. Now the auctions are ending way over $100 even $150 which definitely makes $23 dollars a figure plus shipping a bargain. However, on Thursday night that price seemed too high to army build.

IlliniJoe
10-06-2007, 07:32 PM
If they are your friend that person needs to be put outside the circle of trust. If they are a member I'd like to know who that is because i wouldn't want to do business with that person. That is low. A deal is a deal and they should honor it. What has become of our society?

Patrick A. Riley
10-06-2007, 07:43 PM
If they are your friend that person needs to be put outside the circle of trust. If they are a member I'd like to know who that is because i wouldn't want to do business with that person. That is low. A deal is a deal and they should honor it. What has become of our society?
They were a 3rd party. They were supposed to send it to someone else who was selling me some Con stuff.

But they are sending the other Con stuff I wanted, just not the 2-pack :mad:

Lody
10-08-2007, 05:52 PM
To disprove some of this "scalper" theory:

To help out those who are looking for this series-I have managed to come across quite a slew of them. I will sell them at cost $5.99 plus 7% sales tax and $10.00 to ship the whole set. Some of the cards are not the greatest though but hey-all five are there. I have not picked them up but where they are located-I am pretty sure they will be there in the next few days. I will take Paypal but you will also have to cover the Paypal costs here as well.

5.99 a piece at 7 % sales tax=$32.05 + $10.00 for shipping + $1.00 to cover Paypal=$43.05

REMEMBER-I am not making anything out of this-just trying to help those who have not found them. So if you don't like the price and think I am "scalping" or "taking advantage" please don't bother. I am NOT going to make anything from this besides the gratitude of a fellow collector.

samluvsjoes
10-13-2007, 09:02 AM
At least we're not the only fans with problems. Check out this article: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/12/montana.tickets/index.html

Of course, why they don't call them "scalpers" is beyond me, because that's what they are.
Sam

stad
10-13-2007, 11:16 AM
At least we're not the only fans with problems. Check out this article: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/12/montana.tickets/index.html

Of course, why they don't call them "scalpers" is beyond me, because that's what they are.
Sam

Here you go, and they DO call them scalpers here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071012/music_nm/hannah_dc;_ylt=AhGqIxmGjMcxaRyvBxbti0GVEhkF

By the way, I still maintain these are the "real" scalpers. There is no such thing as a toy scalper of a mass market toy.