Vehicles or playsets for 2007-2008 [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Vehicles or playsets for 2007-2008

emorganicobra
10-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Okay so as most of us know(if not all) hasbro is making all new figures for the 25th anniv. of G.I. Joe. So why in the world aren't they making new vehicles or playsets for the new joes!? I mean vehicles and playsets have always been a big part of G.I. Joe right?
Does anyone know about any vehicles or playsets coming out or maybe some reasons why we aren't getting any?!

emorganicobra
10-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Okay so as most of us know(if not all) hasbro is making all new figures for the 25th anniv. of G.I. Joe. So why in the world aren't they making new vehicles or playsets for the new joes!? I mean vehicles and playsets have always been a big part of G.I. Joe right?
Does anyone know about any vehicles or playsets coming out or maybe some reasons why we aren't getting any?!

mdp1212
10-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Target will have 3 exclusive vehicles a SHARC, HISS Tank and one more that I can not remeber the name of its the Dune buggy with the cannon on the top. (Brain fart):D

emorganicobra
10-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Target will have 3 exclusive vehicles a SHARC, HISS Tank and one more that I can not remeber the name of its the Dune buggy with the cannon on the top. (Brain fart):D

Awesome! Do you know when?

samluvsjoes
10-06-2007, 07:40 AM

That would be the AWE Striker with Crankcase. I think they'll be out either in time for Christmas or early next year.
Sam

skinny
10-06-2007, 10:53 AM
not the greatest pic but this is what they looked like in the case in Atlanta

InfiniteJest
10-06-2007, 12:38 PM

They have announced three Target exclusive vehicles for '08. The Awe Striker w/ Crankcase, the Night Spectre (aka SHARC) w/ Grandslam and a Hiss tank with a repainted Cobra trooper. All the figures are done 25th style but the vehicles look to use the old molds from the classic line.

There has been no announcements yet on playsets.

Erick
10-06-2007, 12:48 PM
There has been no announcements yet on playsets.

And don't even expect them. :p

Harrison
10-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Hasbro can do better than all these retread vehicles. How about a new whale or a new design on a HQ's?

Shadow_Contact
10-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Heck, I wish they would just make the DTC HISS but swap out the rocket launcher turret for a more original cannon style turret instead of the same few molds we all have.

Eric Leavitt
10-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Similarly, Hasbro could take the HISS II design and swap out that terrible cannon assembly for something more reminiscent of the original HISS's "Diablo" cannons. Plus, mold it in black.

cobra1984
10-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Are they gona come out with 25th aniversery vehicles too or just figures?:confused:

slim19722
10-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Well, with the Star Wars line Hasbro says the demand for playsets isn't enough to warrant them, to make playsets, eventhough it's always being requested. Vehicles, get a little more love, so long as Hasbro can keep the vehicle in the 20 dollar range. Same thing with Joes. In the Q&A's they pretty much are saying the same thing, but Hasbro did say if the movie is a huge success we might see larger vehicles and playsets.

DevilKing
10-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Is it too much to ask that Hasbro produce vehicles in the 1:18 scale? I have 3 vehicles from the Elite Forces line (their figures look okay, but they're really poorly made) that look great with the 25th Joes I've got so far. But the EF line doesn't have very many vehicles that will jive with Cobra the same way they do with the Joes.

The Abrams Tank I have is massive, detailed and functional...and it only cost 25 bucks! Why can't Hasbro do the same with their vehicles? That's the same price as the 5-packs, which seems a reasonable price for a vehicle that big.

stad
10-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Is it too much to ask that Hasbro produce vehicles in the 1:18 scale? I have 3 vehicles from the Elite Forces line (their figures look okay, but they're really poorly made) that look great with the 25th Joes I've got so far. But the EF line doesn't have very many vehicles that will jive with Cobra the same way they do with the Joes.

The Abrams Tank I have is massive, detailed and functional...and it only cost 25 bucks! Why can't Hasbro do the same with their vehicles? That's the same price as the 5-packs, which seems a reasonable price for a vehicle that big.

I get and agree with what you say, for the most part. But the vehicle cost really is an issue. I'm not sure on the tank, but I know the Blackhawk and Apache that are now at Target for $30 originally cost $60. I think the tanks were $50. That is outside of the price targets they are looking for.

Adam16bit
10-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Well, with the Star Wars line Hasbro says the demand for playsets isn't enough to warrant them, to make playsets, eventhough it's always being requested.

This is sort of a half-truth. Hasbro is in the market of making tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of a single item and selling it, typically, for a good price. There are ways to meet demand, namely alternate materials. For example, a high-end resin sculpture could be made in the low thousands, but wouldn't be much of a toy and isn't Hasbro's type of toy.

Hasbro could go back to cardboard environments (they've done it before http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/82/cobrahq/), as they had briefly for Star Wars, but the demand probably isn't there unless they packaged it right. (For example, two figures and a pop-up dio for about $12-$15.) Fan demand for cardboard has been nil-- it just doesn't come up in the dialogue between Hasbro and fans-- but I'm hoping to see a lot more people bring it up because a) paper is cheap to make and still pretty good, and b) it's better than nothing, and that's what we have now.

It's not a new Terrordrome, but a pop-up Cobra garage with a place to park/repair a HISS or to have troops lined up saluting Cobra Commander would be pretty slick.

(Also, I think the last major Joe playset was Conquest of Cobra Mountain, which itself was a repurposed Star Wars Geonosis Arena playset. Hasbro isn't yanking our chains when they say the demand isn't really there, thanks to the changing expectations of the toy market, low fan interest, and in many cases weak designs. Although I dig my Cobra Mountain.)

GerjurdKing
10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Hmm. Kind of disappointed with these for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that we don't have Target in Canada so I'll most likely have to ebay and AWE Striker. Secondly, I wish the paint was true to the originals. Basically what we have hear is just repaints of the originals but really that's nothing new because they have been doing it for the longest time now. I want original paint and decals! /rant

therobidentity
10-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I think vehicles in general are a good idea, but I'm really not that interested in the ones being offered. I have my Joes set up in the Night Ops Humvee, and Cobra troops set up in the 05 TRU HISS. Size differences and lower articulation make some of them a tight fit (if at all), but IMO those vehicles look better.

Zombie F-Body
10-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Joe will need something like the movie to push new sculpts. If you look at SWs, most of the new vehicles came during the movie years. At best we would just get the old mold stuff with little tweeks like with Star Wars for the POTF2 years. I'd be happy with retooled old vehicles, but a lot of the tools no longer exist or are lost which really leaves us at a disadvantage.

DevilKing
10-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I get and agree with what you say, for the most part. But the vehicle cost really is an issue. I'm not sure on the tank, but I know the Blackhawk and Apache that are now at Target for $30 originally cost $60. I think the tanks were $50. That is outside of the price targets they are looking for.

Is that why Target isn't listed on their website as a retailer for their product?

But, I know I'd pay 50 bucks for a H.I.S.S. tank that I didn't have to cram my figures into.

That's why I've never been big into the vehicles for Joe or Star Wars.

Zombie F-Body
10-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Big vehicles are always a tricky spot for Hasbro. For one the retailers don't want large and costly vehicles. They take more space and the price is really prohibitive to parents. Their research has shone that the $20 vehicle range is about what everyone wants, decent priced item for little Timmy and something that a lot can be put out of as Target and WM want a lot of product on the shelves.

A lot of us say we'd pay for a Flagg or a true to scale AT-TE, but I don't feel we are a large enough segment to really justify those demands.

stad
10-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Big vehicles are always a tricky spot for Hasbro. For one the retailers don't want large and costly vehicles. They take more space and the price is really prohibitive to parents. Their research has shone that the $20 vehicle range is about what everyone wants, decent priced item for little Timmy and something that a lot can be put out of as Target and WM want a lot of product on the shelves.

A lot of us say we'd pay for a Flagg or a true to scale AT-TE, but I don't feel we are a large enough segment to really justify those demands.

Not to mention that a lot of us that say we'll pay a lot for a Flagg or other large toy, really won't. There's just a lot of "me too" people among the toy collectors/buyers that talk a big game, but don't live up to all of their big talk.

neapolitan joe
10-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Just wait...
Pay and pray!!!;)

Zombie F-Body
10-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Not to mention that a lot of us that say we'll pay a lot for a Flagg or other large toy, really won't. There's just a lot of "me too" people among the toy collectors/buyers that talk a big game, but don't live up to all of their big talk.
Yup, that always reminds me of the Star Wars collectors, who have to be a thorn in Hasbro's side sometimes. They'll demand an item for months or years, then when it gets announced, they'll all brag about how many they will buy, then totally retract that when a proto is shown because of a simple inaccurate paint app. or something that I feel to be equally as trivial leaving Hasbro holding the bag and making a serious mental note for future releases (Sith infiltrator, for example; I feel if they would have not waited till items went on clearance to buy the larger stuff, Hasbro would be more inclined to make larger stuff). Look at Ice Cream Maker Guy. A pegwarmer if there ever was one, but the SW people are demanding it just because they can. Will they buy it? More than likely not (again, Hasbro makes a mental note about listening to the collectors).

Funny thing is, I think the Joe collectors are certainly some of the most realistic, compared to the likes of the TF and SW collectors, and do the least amount of griping and we seem to get more for it. The hand, hip and vehicle issues are being addressed already and look at all the stuff the SW people are screaming and demanding that haven't been addressed yet. Seems to prove the old sugar and vinegar adage for me. Maybe we will get some new and/or larger vehicles after all.

Shogi
10-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Someone had mentioned the idea for a build a playset sorta thing. I'd say re-release a lot of the smaller playsets (Cobra Bunker, Watch Tower, etc...) But include one extra piece. a connector type of thing (Floor section, wall piece, something) that can combine all the small playsets into a huge complex.

seaslug
10-22-2007, 05:27 AM
I will be buying the target vehicles. I will buy as many Hiss tanks as I can get my hands on.

BMC
10-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Someone had mentioned the idea for a build a playset sorta thing. I'd say re-release a lot of the smaller playsets (Cobra Bunker, Watch Tower, etc...) But include one extra piece. a connector type of thing (Floor section, wall piece, something) that can combine all the small playsets into a huge complex.
this here is a good idea start out with items like this and at years end give us something big like HQ with a little retooling or none at all for attaching or not. or if demand gets greater, then twice a year 1 cobra 1 gijoe. hasbro would have to retool some things just to make the figures fit or retool the figures to fit the playsets. i dont have the hq anymore but my watch tower and check point along with my BTP makes for a pretty ok base.

DevilKing
10-22-2007, 03:45 PM

I don't buy the shelf space thing. I just don't. I see toy retailers with huge boxes on the shelves. Someone is buying the Elite Forces toys, and those boxes are huge.

I think sometimes, as collectors, we justify the bad parts of the hobby because of the good aspects.

I'm also not one to subscribe to the "it cost's too much" thing. This is a collector's market. I rarely see kids in the toy aisles anymore. Hasbro makes both the Joes and the Star Wars figures. The Vintage Original Trilogy Collection are comprable to the 25th Joes, and Wal-Mart is charging $4.88 for the Joes and the VOTC figures are $10.99. We're dumb enough to pay for anything.

Line removed - vulgar language.

CGC
10-22-2007, 04:34 PM
DevilKing - If you have any questions about what is or is not allowed, please refer to the FAQ (http://forums.yojoe.com/faq.php?faq=allboards#faq_profanity). The language you used is not allowed here, this is a warning.

Random
10-22-2007, 07:06 PM
I'll have to get one of each of the Target vehicles for collection purposes. I plan on getting a second HISS (if I can even get a first one) to open up and inspect. If I like it and it displays well, I'll grab up a second of each to go with my loose 25th collection.