Anybody NOT buying 25th Joes ? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Anybody NOT buying 25th Joes ?

msv
10-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Personaly I'm dodging the hype. They seem to be artificially rare and something tells me I'll be able to get them cheaper later after all this crazyness.

kerowack
10-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Personaly I'm dodging the hype. They seem to be artificially rare and something tells me I'll be able to get them cheaper later after all this crazyness.

I'm dodging scalpers (for the most part), so it hasn't been any more expensive than buying them from Walmart/Target/TRU. I DID pay 10 bucks for Flint from a local comic store a few months ago because I couldn't find him anywhere. I also paid a bit more (foolishly) for a couple of wave 3s (12 bucks each) because I have had my eye on that wave for a while. I had 50 bucks in my paypal account from selling some stuff a few months ago, so I justified the extra expenditure by saying it wasn't coming out of my paycheck).

GBPackRat
10-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm waiting it out...

So far I've found the 5 packs at retail, but nothing else. I feel if I wait long enough and just keep checking, I'll find them someday...

Tanner

Erick
10-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I wasn't interested when the first wave came out, I bought them and I remember thinking there was something wrong/awkward with the molds, so I was kinda disappointed. But now I must admit I'm getting used to them.

Some of my buddies didn't buy any, I guess they are very 'traditional' fans.

orionlukteel
10-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Found waves 1 and 2 at the store, with the exception of the Joe 5-pack I haven't bought any of them.

Serpentor is really the only single card figure I have any interest in, and it looks like I'm not going to see him at retail for a while.

kerowack
10-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I get the money thing, but as far as taste/style goes, I don't see how traditionalists are thrilled by these figures. They are INCREDIBLY close to the original designs, but the detail is upped a notch. I can't even compare the Scarlett, Beahchead, Storm Shadow, Buzzer, Destro, Cobra Commander (5 pack), Flint...jeez! Everybody except Serpentor and Duke SMOKE CHECK their original figures.

I definitely have a soft spot for AROH figures, but as a new collector, I almost regret buying some of them because I see now that they may get the 25th remake and that would be enough for me (I have a complete straight arm flash that I'm sure I'll sell once I get the Wave 5 flash).

I'm just hoping that they DON'T release huge vehicles or playsets. I know that's selfish of me, but I where will I keep these things? The Whale takes up the better part of my entertainment center's bottom shelf as it is!

Urban Saboteur
10-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I haven't bought a single one yet. Mainly due to the fact that I don't think the figures we're getting are of high standard. But also because my own choices/decisions are to pay for surgery are more important to me. ;)
Rich

kerowack
10-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I haven't bought a single one yet. Mainly due to the fact that I don't think the figures we're getting are of high standard. But also because my own choices/decisions are to pay for surgery are more important to me. ;)
Rich

I think we can all agree that surgery would come first if it was between paying for that and paying for Joes. But still, have you SEEN the wave 3 firefly? Might be worth letting that appendix burst....

YELSEW
10-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I too have not bought a single one but the exclusives. I don't know if it is by choice or not. I just can't find any of the single packs. I do want the box sets though and again, I can't find them.

I understand they are flying off the shelves like hotcakes, but I really just don't see why. Are people just hoarding them?

I am a big toy collector, or rather I should say fan, like the next guy. But, I am, right now anyway, just focusing on completing my filecard collection and some other figures I am missing. If I get anniversary stuff that is cool too.

I will be posting for most of the figures soon.

Patrick A. Riley
10-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm not getting any of them. I feel we've already seen most of them, as many are designed to look like the originals. I want new characters. I also don't like the sculpt design with the carry-over of those unrealistic elbow joints

I feel it's bad for the line overall, as it's just another "restart" to me. It's hard to build any momentum by always changing designs and storylines (T-crotch, JvC, VvV, Sigma 6, 25th) So many lost opportunities IMO

Biohazard
10-07-2007, 12:57 PM

im not, im not too interested in the "new sculpt" stuff. imo they are way too disproportionate to the arah joes

Ghost X
10-07-2007, 01:48 PM
I haven't bought a GI Joe since 1988, so I am not going to break my streak now:) Seriously, I think these new figures are pretty sweet. However, there are only so many dollars & so much home space that can be given to GI Joes. I decided a long time ago to just try to prefect my original childhood collection and not get "side-tracked" by the newer stuff. (meaning anything made after 1988)

I am happy to see the rest of the community enjoy them though!

Bigtattoo
10-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Im another not getting them.

Ive never liked those shoulders anyways, which would be a reason alone to not get them, but I really dont like the mid-torso articulation- IMO, waist articulation is far better, and more realsitic.

The lack of bend in the arms is another major black mark against, as is the fact many cant even sit down.

That said, I dont think theyre too far away from being an adequate replacement for RAH- if they sort out what appears to be mainly cosmetic, easily fixed issues they may be okay.

One major plus point for them are the accessories- I think theyve done a great job with those so far.

kurthalsey
10-07-2007, 06:23 PM
I only buy 1983 to 1987, except my Big Ben from '91 cause he is one of the coolest figures I have ever seen.

mack31
10-07-2007, 08:55 PM
i put my hand on all of them just to put them back i hate them.

redjacket3827
10-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I bought the 25th anniversary 1985 Snake Eyes (he was the only 82-87 figure I never had). I'm also interested in new sculpts of the original 12. Other than that, like someone said earlier, I already have the other ones from the original line.

r07a23c
10-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally, I was apprehensive about them. Then I warmed up, and when I actually saw them in the stores, I even got excited. Over the course of a few weeks, I bought two of each in Wave 1 (One to open, one to keep in package). I seem to even remember making a comment on this board about how I thought they were even better than expected.
Then I opened them.
I don't care for them. It may sound odd, but I don't appreciate the extra articulation, the figures seem oddly proportioned, and once again they're using that soft, dull plastic used in the VvV and DTC lines. And they're just not as much fun to handle. They almost seem fragile.
Last weekend, I did pick up Wave 2, but I promptly put them on display on the wall- I didn't really even feel like opening them. This past weekend, I found the 2nd Cobra 5-pack, and passed. I just wasn't excited about it.
So though I did originally buy them, I've cooled on them. I don't know if I'll even buy Wave 3, should I find it. I might just focus on trying to pick up the remaining older figures I want, rather try to hunt and buy new figures I don't really care for.

The Faceless Master
10-08-2007, 11:02 AM
i'm not, i had difficulty merging the new sculpts into my joe-verse
let alone the 25As :cool:

*edit by mod*
added poll option

Abomb
10-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I will if I ever see them in a store, but so far I haven't even been able to find wave 1.

C-GDSM 2487
10-08-2007, 11:39 AM
NO dont like them only one court my eye is serpentor
but i am not bothing to chase it up.:mad:

so i pass on this range of figures ...

samluvsjoes
10-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm buying them, but not from scalpers. And no, not all scalpers are on Ebay. There are plenty of online stores out there that are charging 3 or more dollars extra for army builders than they are for regular figures, and that's just ridiculous. But then, these same stores have always done that.
Sam

GI Joanne
10-08-2007, 04:54 PM
I just ordered 6 Officers from BBTS,I have'nt actually seen one yet to determine weather I like them or not.By what I've been reading on the board,I probably wont like them.I'll probably keep 1 or 2 officers and trade off the other 4,if I dont like them.Also if I dont I'd probably still buy 1 of each Army Builder figure that they release,just to save away with my other Hidden Treausures.But if I do like them I'll just buy Army Builders and a few of my personal favorite chracters.;)

Shipwreck"n"polly
10-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Im buying them all one to open and an extra to keep in the beautiful Packages. loooooooove this line i may buy thirty of the crimson guards

Eric Leavitt
10-08-2007, 06:40 PM
The wave 2 and wave 3 figures are really great. When they fix the sitting problem, these will be the best. I think all of the figures designed on the original 13 will be top-notch as the Snake-Eyes body is really well designed. Stalker came out great and I think the upcoming comic pack Hawk looks good too.

I also really like Shipwreck and Zartan. I am surprised how cool Zartan is. I think when people actually hold these in their hands, they will fall in love with them.

Personally, I view this new 40th line as I viewed the current Star Wars line.

I understand Patrick what you mean about the "reboots" of the line. G.I.Joe at Toys R Us was neat, but the paint applications on everything were pretty terrible. G.I.Joe at 15 was pretty good but too short and no army builders, but the vehicles were okay. G.I.Joe versus Cobra wasn't very good because it started out as an anime inspired line and had some nice figures but there was no consistency of design or scale until Spy Troops and later Valor versus Venom but those lines could not gain any traction. These lines were Kenner Star Wars from 1995-1998.

Personally, I view this new 40th line as I viewed the current Star Wars line from 1999 forward. Pretty solid sculpting with nice articulation and paint apps. An effort to redo the line as it should be done.

I love how the original line from 1982-1986 is getting so much love. The 5 pack figures had some serious flaws but the newer designs are great. Plus, they go well with the A Real American Hero figures, which most of SpyTroops and G.I.Joe versus Cobra never did. Sure, Valor Versus Venom were nice and had the "standard-buck," they all looked goofy for some reason.

Plus, this line is somehow reigniting a nostalgia/collector frenzy that those other lines just missed. I think what's good about this is that it is a total restart taking what was best about A Real American Hero figures and not trying to just continue what came before. It may fizzle out or get taken out by the movie but I think it has staying power.

Dreadnok4life
10-08-2007, 07:47 PM
I am buying as many as I can find. They are awesome. I'm surprised so many people are negative about them. Especially considering the poll result is so positive so far.

Deadman2099
10-08-2007, 08:34 PM
I will be buying as many as I can find in stores. The figures are downright beautiful. These figures have only made me want them all, especially after handling the 4 that I have. Course, I'm the guy who actually digs the original GI JOE, Super Joe, Sgt. Savage, and of course nearly everything RAH.

karamazov80
10-08-2007, 11:07 PM
I love them, but I also understand how they are polarizing. Some people just don't like change. . .and that's. . .OK.

Eric Leavitt
10-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I have replicas of the original G.I.Joes (thanks Timeless Collection) and Adventure Team. I have many Classic Collection and Hall of Fame Joes. I have all of the Sgt. Savage line - it was cool. I have a few packaged G.I.Joe-Extreme figures to show the line's discontinuity, plus I have most of the 3 3/4-inch stuff from 1982-now.

I collect G.I.Joe and I love having the representatives of the whole 43-year history to date.

talclipse
10-09-2007, 04:38 AM
There are a few things i dont like about them,but overall they are so much better looking then the 80's and 90's joes..

things i would like to see changed are

the Waist.some figures hide it very well,others it sticks out like a sore thumb.
the LONG Skinny legs.
The arm joints.some hide it,some don't.i really wish they would redo those or hide them better.

i see them more of whatnots for us grown up collectors then toys for kids,cause i really couldn't 25ths standing up to all the crap we put the oldschool ones thur..

82to87Joes
10-09-2007, 06:29 AM
i just want a firefly figure but probably wont find one

seaslug
10-09-2007, 11:08 PM
I love the packages. Some of the figures are nice some not so much. I hate the peg holes on the bottom of the feet and they do not look good with vintage joes for the most part. But the package alone will keep me buying them. I love the card art, it's much cheaper to get the outstanding package art this way.

cobraferret
10-10-2007, 07:45 AM
I love them and I will buy them all.The card art is astonishing
I no longer care to pay the outrageous prices of vintage moc/afa
I am able to have a very close replica of v2 snake eyes and timber moc for $6.99 now and soon a v1 Storm Shadow moc
instead of $500-$1000
Some of us are not made of money

dockingbay97
10-10-2007, 08:19 AM
I love them.
I love them.
I love them.

I have had no real trouble getting any of them in stores. I have them all and they all are beyond my expectations - well maybe not the CC & SS repaints in the third box set.

I love them so much I am dumping a lot of the figures I have bought in the last seven years.

Some of you are going to end up regretting not getting these now.

cobraferret
10-10-2007, 08:22 AM
I agree totally

Red Sox
10-10-2007, 08:32 AM
I think they are great and I will buy most if not all of them, as well as army build. :cool:

Bravo
10-10-2007, 08:47 AM
I have 3 figures so far. They are okay. I could take or leave them. The larger scale currently bugs me most, since I'm all about opening and mixing what-should-be 3 3/4" figures.

I tend to think this line will end with less characters being made than the new sculpt line. That's why so many stick with RAH...anything RAH added is mostly gravy to one of, if not, the greatest toy lines ever, a line that will never be matched (because toy market isn't what it was). 25th is just an homage made to appeal to nostalgic 20 and 30 somethings.

yojoebro82
10-10-2007, 08:50 AM
I love them too. Besides totally switching back to ARAH style, I don't see how you could improve on these toys. MAYBE more back packs?

I'm hoping it'll turn out like some people are thinking, that we'll see them eventually and we just need to wait it out. Hope so.
I AM dodging the scalpers (as I've ALWAYS done).
I'm also dodging all the treads who's subjects are scalper sad stories or complaints about how the new stuff is currently in short supply. Believe me, it cuts down on your reading! Yes, some people buy everything they see. We get it.

cobraferret
10-10-2007, 08:50 AM
25th is just an homage made to appeal to nostalgic 20 and 30 somethings.
And it is doing immensely well.
I haven't seen a buzz for g.i.joe like this for years and years.Some of my friends who are not even collectors are thinking about picking up some for nostalgic reasons.

Chris L
10-10-2007, 09:17 AM
I have all the figures except for the new Cobra 5 pack. Some are great, some are not. Duke, Flint, and Gung Ho really bother me, mainly due to the arm articulation or lack there of. I do know that there would have been no way for me to pass them up though.

I'm hoping that Hasbro will do what it did with ARAH and set a new standard for articulation, in this case, the figure can sit, the elbows can achieve at least a true 90 degree angle, and the torso articulation will be replaced with waist articulation, and then re-release all the previous figures again.

Oh, and do think we're getting shafted on the backpacks. I have to now buy an off color Duke 2 pack just to get his backpack?

But these are minor complaints...I love the line!

YELSEW
10-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Well, I have decided to get them. It is the overall package for me. I love the figures, I love the packaging. But, the worst part is. I don't want to open them.

Erick
10-10-2007, 01:22 PM
25th is just an homage made to appeal to nostalgic 20 and 30 somethings.

And it is doing immensely well.
I haven't seen a buzz for g.i.joe like this for years and years.Some of my friends who are not even collectors are thinking about picking up some for nostalgic reasons.

You all mean that the 25th line isn't doing that well with kids? Do you think that Hasbro 'explicitly' aim the line to adult collectors?

r07a23c
10-10-2007, 02:41 PM
You all mean that the 25th line isn't doing that well with kids? Do you think that Hasbro 'explicitly' aim the line to adult collectors?

I think it was aimed at adults. As I alluded to in an earlier post, the 25th figures don't feel real durable, and with so much articulation, I think the figures were meant to put into neat poses that would look really cool on the shelf. And considering how elaborate the packaging is for the 5-packs, I think this line was definately aimed at adult collectors.

code red shockwave
10-10-2007, 02:56 PM
I love half and half so far. I love Scarlett and the four COBRAs from wave 1 except Baroness, while I hate Baroness and the other GIJOE figues.

Wave 2---I love Beach-Head and the entire COBRA legions 5-pack while the others I hate.

Wave 3---Like Red Ninja but hate or don't care about the rest.

Bigtattoo
10-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Possibly, possibly not.

I think the QC in the first wave has been been really poor and I certainly dont regret not getting the intial 2 five-packs.
(With the exception of SE v1- I really like the look of that fig)

Beachhead looks great, but IMO the arms still put me off.

Wave 3 is looking better, and I reckon if Hasbro sort out the teething troubles I may dive in and start getting them, but at present I certainly dont regret not getting them.

Taichiro
10-11-2007, 12:20 AM
There's nothing I don't like about the 25th Anni. series.

I ESPECIALLY love the realistic proportions, no more calcium deposit heads making the figures look like lollipops.

cobraferret
10-11-2007, 02:44 AM
too soon to tell about kids,but as for the adults which is who this line is geared towards it has been a huge success so far.

green firefly
10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
I've been lucky enough to see many of the 1st wave at many locations. I haven't bought any because I don't like the molds. Firefly is the only one I will pick up if I see him at Walmart.

Colonel Abernathy
10-11-2007, 01:48 PM
This is probably the strangest situation I've been in for toy collecting...ever since I started in 1996, I held onto the 0.000001% possibility that I'd see Joes in their vintage-style glory again for an affordable price. The 25ths are pretty much that because for me, much of the "vintage-ness" of the Joes is due to their packaging and uniform designs...so here we are in 2007, Hasbro has offered a product that is "close enough" to what I've always wanted...and I'm NOT buying two of everything, checking ebay or online dealers etc for the newest waves. I can't really explain it...anyone else experiencing the same reaction? I live in Canada, so maybe the 99.9% lack of retail availability has something to do with it :D

cobraferret
10-11-2007, 08:09 PM
delete double post sorry

masteratarms2ndclass
10-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I think Hasbro put together some really good looking figures. However, I won't be buying these.

Reasons:
I can spend the money on original and any newer ARAH standard buck style sculpts.
While I understand the desire to modernize the line, I think that the ARAH older style sculpt was done right the first time (of course, I think CORPS! was done right the first time too, and they absolutely ruined that line).

Back on topic:
Don't get me wrong, if I had an endless Joe budget, I would pick some of these up, and maybe even build the Cobra Soldiers and Officers. I think that going with the Takara style sculpts was a wonderful idea, I just think that they already had a good seller, a real classic, and could make money if they would market it right (think about doing a Joe first person shooter video game - that would generate interest among collectors and kids - COD2, but you get to be Snake Eyes!).

Just my take on this.

spiderpumpkin
10-11-2007, 11:36 PM
So far I haven't purchased the GI Joe figures. I've purchased all of the Cobra figures except the hooded CC.

Really only like the Destro but the rest of the Cobra guys are ok.

I don't display them with my ARAH collection or sit them in vehicles because they can't sit.

Brolly
10-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm buying them, though it's a pain to find those, but honestly I really don't like it. There's something wrong with those sculpts I just can't seem to like the figures.
After all these years I still think ARAH sculpts are the best ones Hasbro made. Why fix something that wasn't broken? I really can't understand. Old sculpts wouldn't sell these days Hasbro say? I'm not so sure. Why not release some and see? The TRU 6 packs did quite well and they were ARAH style which is pretty nice considering the cheap plastic quality of those figures...

And contrary to some people say I really don't think the new figures mix well with ARAH, they just don't. So far I'm buying them, but if this sculpts go on for a long time, maybe I will stop. Let's see.

Nick Freiheit
10-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I broke down and bought a Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, I intend to buy a Flint and Firefly; these were the first four joes I had as a kid.

samluvsjoes
10-13-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm buying them, though it's a pain to find those, but honestly I really don't like it. There's something wrong with those sculpts I just can't seem to like the figures.
After all these years I still think ARAH sculpts are the best ones Hasbro made. Why fix something that wasn't broken? I really can't understand. Old sculpts wouldn't sell these days Hasbro say? I'm not so sure. Why not release some and see? The TRU 6 packs did quite well and they were ARAH style which is pretty nice considering the cheap plastic quality of those figures...

And contrary to some people say I really don't think the new figures mix well with ARAH, they just don't. So far I'm buying them, but if this sculpts go on for a long time, maybe I will stop. Let's see.

The problem is that when they were released, Wal-Mart accused Hasbro of selling "old product" and that is why Hasbro feels they won't sell these days. Or at least, that's what I heard...
Sam

GI Joanne
10-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I just got my Officers in the mail,and I bought the first Cobra 5 pack yesterday.I was a bit skeptical at first to wheather or not I'd like them,but after seeing the packages and handling the figures I'm convinced.These figures are awesome,I also like that the harnesses and belts can be removed and interchanged.Don't like the non sitting issue one bit but if Hasbro fixes that theyre perfect.I'd recomend everyone to buy just one to really see for your selves, most people will change their minds guaranteed.

Harrison
10-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Call me a relic but I like the rah's. I'm not crazy about any of the other sculpts so I stick to only the joes that resemble the older figures.

UCJoe
10-13-2007, 02:28 PM
I like the new Joes, and have been collecting them. I do enjoy the figures, but I also enjoy finding these in the stores with the (IMHO) nice card art. It is like I am am a youngster back in the 80's buying what Joes I can get my hands on.

I have, over the years, collected all of the Joes I had as a kid in mint (loose) condition, and I display them in a case. I once had all of the vehicles, but they just sat in containers in closests (becuase of space issues) so I sold them. There really is nothing form the orginal ARAH line I need/want, so when the new figures came out, it gave me something new to collect again. I would like to do a Joe display with the new release figures.

I am loving this new spark in interest in Joe (figures and upcoming movie).

I am having fun. :)

thorn
10-13-2007, 02:41 PM
i've only seen one or two i really like, and i am so out of space here, i havent gotten any (yet)

skinny
10-13-2007, 06:56 PM
To me collecting is similar to taping a tv show, every week i would eagerly watch and tape the show. GIJOE Transformers, Buffy, Angel, but the best example is Star Trek TNG went off the air, but Deep Space Nine was there, then it went off the air, but Voyager came along, then Star trek Enterprise came on, and now its gone too. So now i dont" collect" those shows anymore.
Same thing happened with Joes, there was a big dry spell after SGt Savage and Extreme then a new product, then Joe vs Cobra, then Spy troops, then Valor vs Venom, then Sigma Six, and now 25th, its a never ending cycle. until of course the last show airs!

talclipse
10-13-2007, 10:19 PM
I've been lucky enough to see many of the 1st wave at many locations..

you guys are lucky..ive only seen 25ths in stores 3 times,and only one time was it more then just 2 figures..

atleast one of my walmarts i beleave is not carring the singles anymore.where the tag used to be they replaced it and put 3 pack mini wwf figures,and i see no tag ANYWHERE for the singles..they still have about 7 box sets(5 joes and 1 cobra i think),but they have been there for a while now..

RussG
10-13-2007, 11:05 PM
I like the line, I have fun picking up a figure or two here and there, but my main Joe foucus is rebuiling my collection from 1982-85.