Do we know where the convetion will be next year? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Do we know where the convetion will be next year?

GBPackRat
10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I've heard it's next year on the 4th of July Weekend...

Do we know where though?

Tanner

PS: Here's hoping its back in the midwest next year!

cmderinchief
10-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Nope, not yet. Speculation runs wild. I personally think the GIJCC will keep it close to home in Texas as we know '09 will be a blow out. Do not expect it to go any farther west than TX. They continuously say no more cons out west....we'll see I guess. I just hope '09 is not a repeat of the robot con because I do not want to go to Rhode Island for a vacation. :D

We all expect to hear something by Janurary or so. The con should be in its normal late June, early July spot according to Lanny on the GIJCC boards.

GBPackRat
10-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm hoping something a little more Central, something like St. Louis would really make me happy.

Tanner

willie&joe
10-07-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm hoping something a little more Central, something like St. Louis would really make me happy.

Tanner

St. Louis would be great for me too. I have family I really need to visit over there and a Joe Con would be great reason to get me over there. Not that Joes come first in my life...

rnrhero
10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Yes ST. Louis. I should be living there by that time next year.

Deadman2099
10-07-2007, 07:35 PM
hehe... I say Columbia, or Charleston SC! but it seems they move the con around pretty sporadically, so I'm doubting anything close for next year.

AlternateUniverse Steeler
10-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Thats bull. I never attend because i am on west coast. thats a long haul.

Syna3sthesia
10-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Im a fairly new collector and I never been to one so...has there ever been one in MD?

DPrime
10-07-2007, 09:42 PM
East coast! I'd like to be able to drive if possible this time...

starrcommand
10-07-2007, 09:44 PM
syna3sthesia where in MD are you? Yes there was one around 99 or so. It was at the naval acadamy if I remember correctly. Dont look for it to be here again.

Syna3sthesia
10-07-2007, 09:49 PM
syna3sthesia where in MD are you? Yes there was one around 99 or so. It was at the naval acadamy if I remember correctly. Dont look for it to be here again.

:( curses! I live in Silver Spring.

skinny
10-07-2007, 10:25 PM
I just had an amazing idea!

Star Trek Hilton in Las Vegas meets GIJOE.

Imagine it, Klingons with Cobra sigils on their back ( or foreheads)

GIJOEs carrying phasers, for Flash and Sci-fi this is no biggie.

a Camoflagued Star ship

yes I see great possibilities here.

Or they could have it near MT Rushmore

Eric Leavitt
10-07-2007, 11:00 PM
I hope Chicago or St. Louis.

drummer1279
10-07-2007, 11:23 PM
St. Louis would be good. You can't get much more "Central U.S." than that. I could drive there, I have family close to there. Plus, St. Louis really is a pretty fun town, with a lot to do.

Kozin
10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
The 1999 Convention was at the Omni in DC, not the Naval Academy. There wasn't as many dealers of 3 & 3/4" there, but there were a few. I picked up a minty VAMP and Mudfighter complete for $5 each and a stack of filecards for $10.

John

Syna3sthesia
10-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah I was thinking how they let civilians in the Naval academy :o , yet alone crazy collectors!!! :)

CGC
10-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I know it isn't likely - in fact based on what I've heard it isn't even an option, but I would also like to see the con on the West Coast. Switching the site from one region to another each year is a good way to have it (at least somewhat) close to most collectors at least every five years or so. There aren't many places I would rule out simply because of the location, but variety is nice & one of the things I look forward to in going to the con.

MARSagent
10-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Well if we are throwing around dream ideas. I'd love to see it in New York at the Intrepid aircraft carrier but since they are remodeling it for the next few years I guess that won't happen. How about at West point!!! That would be real cool!!!

Skystriker
10-08-2007, 04:11 PM
keep dreaming about a con in the northeast. They have already stated it costs to much. Plus they have had them in Philidelphia, Maryland?DC, virginia in the past 10 years. Although I am surprised that they went down south again after going to disney just 3 years earlier.

cmderinchief
10-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Well if we are throwing around dream ideas. I'd love to see it in New York at the Intrepid aircraft carrier but since they are remodeling it for the next few years I guess that won't happen. How about at West point!!! That would be real cool!!!

I am gonna need some backup from the 12" collectors, but I think it was on the Intrepid already.

cmderinchief
10-08-2007, 04:44 PM
keep dreaming about a con in the northeast. They have already stated it costs to much. Plus they have had them in Philidelphia, Maryland?DC, virginia in the past 10 years. Although I am surprised that they went down south again after going to disney just 3 years earlier.

Right, south for three of the last four cons. Disney, New Orleans and ATL.

XtremeWRATH360
10-08-2007, 06:42 PM
I would love for it to hit Boston, but wherever it goes im going this time. I never been to one, but im saving a vacation just for the next Joecon.

cmderinchief
10-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Cool....quite a few Chowderheads at this year's con....and a bunch of closet Red Sox fans. You'll fit in just fine. ;)

Dreadnok4life
10-08-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm another West Coaster.. San Diego is beautiful! Las Vegas would be awesome. Los Angeles! Hollywood! Anaheim (Disneyland). San Francisco.

danyanda
10-08-2007, 09:12 PM
I personally would love to see Philly, Baltimore, DC, or NYC as I am close to those places.

Barring that I vote NASHVILLE TN as long as it is during the summer. I've got people in Nashville and I love that city. Great small town.

Johnny
10-08-2007, 09:31 PM
I vote for Belleville, Illinois. That way I can go in, buy all of the exclusives, then sell them to you guys at OUTRAAAAAGeous prices. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Johnny

LOCAL
10-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I'd go if it were in texas. I regret not going to the one in San Francisco since I live in the bay. If they ever decide to hold one in San Diego, I'm definitly there since the 619 is my home town. Anaheim would be nice as well. I have season passes to Disney land. They also have a dope comic book store and vintage toy shops all right next to each other in Anaheim.

Just curious what's the reason for no more west coast Joe cons?

cmderinchief
10-09-2007, 08:04 AM
The GIJCC said that fewer people came to the w.coast and fewer dealers decided to make the trip.

Personally, I think they will return to the left coast sometime. ****, I'd go. I have no problem about making that haul. I do it at least four times a year for work. However, for the time being, the word continues to be NO.

Kozin
10-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Brian has said that he'd never do a New York show and West Coast shows tend to have the worst attendance and participation in contests.

He hasn't done a show in PA, that was the company that previously did the GI Joe Cons (MARS I think was the name of it).

I'd love for the Joe Con to be in the North East, but I know that chances for that are slim.

A lot of folks have said the San Antonio con was one of the best cons they've ever attended, so hopefully we'll see it in Texas again. Boston would be cool, as it's only a 2 hour drive for me.

I know there's some criteria Brian and team uses to choose a hotel:

25,000 sq feet of space
$100 - $130 +/- hotel rate
Large transportation hub/airport
Local attractions for guests/family

I know there's a few more, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

John

GBPackRat
10-09-2007, 09:02 AM
He's also ruled out Chicago in the past due to its size as well...

Tanner

Cobras Toys
10-09-2007, 01:19 PM
What about Vegas? Plenty of space here!!

seaslug
10-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Pittsburgh or Cleveland would both be great cities. Airfare and trainfare are cheap there is a very high concentration of collectors in the area. Hotel is dirt cheap you, can actually find motel rooms within 30 minutes of either city for as low as $30 (and they are decent motels) and most major hotel chains charge $100 or less. There is plenty for the family to do in this area too. Where else in the country can you bring the family to a major league ball park for $12 a seat. Ohio has the rock n rol hall of fame and the football hall of fame. W PA and eastern Ohio are a fairly short drive from NY boston philly as well illnois kentucky indiana.

29thLetsGoJoe
10-10-2007, 01:49 AM
VIRGINIA, right there in the middle of the East coast. A pleasant drive from North or South, all you non-Virginians could use some refinery anyway. And the Convention Exclusive could be General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, with a 1/18 scale horse. The background is this: Cobra made a machine to bring famous Generals back from the past to exploit them, but it backfires, and Stonewall becomes a Joe. WOOHOO!!! Lookout Gen. Howard!!!

cmderinchief
10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Cobras Toys: On Vegas, the club said no. I and others have asked.

Seaslug: I agree with you 110%

29thLetsGoJoe: The con has been in VA at least once to my knowledge. Norfolk in '02. Rumor has been for a while that the GIJCC liked it so much that they may return someday. Since I was a Homefront Hero for that one, I'd love the opportunity to go.

GBPackRat
10-10-2007, 09:24 AM
I'd enjoy Cleveland, Pitts might be getting a little far for me...

Tanner

cobraferret
10-10-2007, 12:03 PM
What about Pittsburgh???Oh Please.Please We meet all of the criteria

Brian has said that he'd never do a New York show and West Coast shows tend to have the worst attendance and participation in contests.

He hasn't done a show in PA, that was the company that previously did the GI Joe Cons (MARS I think was the name of it).

I'd love for the Joe Con to be in the North East, but I know that chances for that are slim.

A lot of folks have said the San Antonio con was one of the best cons they've ever attended, so hopefully we'll see it in Texas again. Boston would be cool, as it's only a 2 hour drive for me.

I know there's some criteria Brian and team uses to choose a hotel:

25,000 sq feet of space
$100 - $130 +/- hotel rate
Large transportation hub/airport
Local attractions for guests/family

I know there's a few more, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

John

Skystriker
10-10-2007, 03:36 PM
its north but not to far north, its reasonably priced. I like Pitt even though it would be a haul from MD I'd do it.

If it was in the DC Balt Area I would be happy with Pitt.
Its a shame the new Baltimore convention center wont be opened until sept 08. That would have been a great spot in the inner harbor with an awesome view of the city.

tank1976
10-10-2007, 04:25 PM
I vote for Belleville, Illinois. That way I can go in, buy all of the exclusives, then sell them to you guys at OUTRAAAAAGeous prices. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Johnny

You live in Belleville, I'm in Centralia, IL We are not very far away from each other.

Do you ever go to the big flea market in Belleville?

Drop me a mesage ,maybe we could talk sometime.

A convention in ST>L> would be great!!!!!!:cool:

seaslug
10-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I'd enjoy Cleveland, Pitts might be getting a little far for me...

Tanner

Pitt is only 2 hours further and it's cheaper so you don't have to rush the trip. We have a toy show 2 to 3 times a year and there is a really good turn out considering it's always the same dealers. Joes seem to be the top seller at the show too. It's a 500 table show and they usually sell out dealer space. Pittsburgh has plenty of different facilities that can house this con. There is great public transportation. Tons of hotels and motels. It really is a perfect site for this convention. Flights and trains are cheap into pitt to. Most people who have never been here do not understand pittsburgh is a really cool city

stad
10-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Nashville TN or Indianapolis. Nashville has all the ancillary attractions, plus Ft. Campbell, and Indianapolis was so good for Star Wars, they went there twice in a row! Plus it's very easy to get around downtown. Both are centrally located, population-wise.
But I'd still have to push for Nashville, it's cheaper.

cmderinchief
10-11-2007, 11:34 AM
No Indy! I Want A Vaction away From Indy!! :D

seaslug
10-12-2007, 03:51 AM
I agree nashville could work,but Pittsburgh is better. If you stand in PNC parks parking lot after first pitch someone will give you and the family bleacher seats free most times. We even put Fries on our salads what can be better.If it's in pittsburgh next year everyone will have the extra scratch for those exclusives. Steel brigade for the joe convention in the steel city. If a celebrity figure is needed many steelers are happy to sighn autographs at malls, I'm sure a Steeler would happily join the Joe team, Jerome Bettis will do anything for a buck.If not hey Kurt Angel Bruno Samartino and The Franchise shane Douglas are among a few of our local rasslin celebreties.There even cheap.PLEASE I BEG YOU COME TO PITTSBURGH

crimson tide
10-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Personally, I would like either St. Louis, Nashville, or possibly even Denver. That would be the closest the convention has been to me since Kansas City had it. Being I have never been to a convention, those cities would be great for me.

CGC
10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Denver would be good. It's been awhile since I've been to Colorado, that would be a nice excuse.

stad
10-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Well, there you go, the con locations for the next 4 cons. Nashville 2008, Pittsburgh 2009, St. Louis 2010, and Indianapolis 2011. I would go to all of these, they are in a days driving distance for me, and about 50-75% of the rest of the US population. Awesome!

CGC
10-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Well, there you go, the con locations for the next 4 cons. Nashville 2008, Pittsburgh 2009, St. Louis 2010, and Indianapolis 2011. I would go to all of these, they are in a days driving distance for me, and about 50-75% of the rest of the US population. Awesome!
Which 50%-75%? None are within a day from me (Minnesota - Midwest US)... :p

Even if it is Eastern again, I don't mind at all, somewhere new is a big plus to me. :)

stad
10-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Which 50%-75%? None are within a day from me (Minnesota - Midwest US)... :p

Even if it is Eastern again, I don't mind at all, somewhere new is a big plus to me. :)

I think it was the Star Wars guys, when they set Indy for Celebration 2, remarked it was within a day's drive for either 50 or 75% of the US population. I don't remember which. As far as MN, I guess it depends on where in the state. I've made many driving trips to Minneapolis in one day. It stinks, and it's a lot of driving, but it can be done. Farther north or west would be a problem in one day.

seaslug
10-13-2007, 04:32 AM
I like pitt 2008 but I could live with this schedule. All are great cities. I can stay in nashville for free, I can put up 6-9 in pitt for free. St louis is just nice, but MC won't be able to book indie

goodguyswearblack9
10-13-2007, 12:22 PM
I've been hoping to see it in Ohio for awhile.

UCJoe
10-13-2007, 02:34 PM
It's obvious where I would want it...
:)

I would like to know where it will be regardless so I can start making plans.

stad
10-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Oh no, that's a matter of national security. That can't be divulged until as late as possible.

Deadman2099
10-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Charleston, SC! You can all go visit the Yorktown, and Fort Sumter and such. Then I may actually be able to make a con :P GA was so close, but I was completely broke. Stupid college classes and needing tires and other money draining goodies...

hmm... maybe make that the one in 2010 :P

YELSEW
10-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Pitt is only 2 hours further and it's cheaper so you don't have to rush the trip. We have a toy show 2 to 3 times a year and there is a really good turn out considering it's always the same dealers. Joes seem to be the top seller at the show too. It's a 500 table show and they usually sell out dealer space. Pittsburgh has plenty of different facilities that can house this con. There is great public transportation. Tons of hotels and motels. It really is a perfect site for this convention. Flights and trains are cheap into pitt to. Most people who have never been here do not understand pittsburgh is a really cool city

I have been going to the Pittsburgh Toy show since it started. I can honestly say that GI Joes are by far NOT the top seller. When I go, there are probably only a dozen or so table with Joes.

But, I would agree that Pittsburgh would be a great place to have the con. The toy show does get a massive reception and is in an awesome location. Plus, it is only a couple hours away from me!

cmderinchief
10-15-2007, 07:57 AM

Well, we all have a pretty good idea when it will be, so I suggest making plans and saving now. Plus, unlike other years, we will not have a full year to save up. It will be more like 10 months or less.

prplprowlr
10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
hehe... I say Columbia, or Charleston SC! but it seems they move the con around pretty sporadically, so I'm doubting anything close for next year.

I agree with you how about Myrtle Beach!!

Deadman2099
10-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I agree with you how about Myrtle Beach!!

Heck yeah, MB would be good. I haven't been able to go on our family vacation to North Myrtle in like 2 years due again to summer courses at school. Can't miss that CISCO stuff, or it'll kill you trying to play catch up.

Pretty much anywhere in SC would rock. but i'm starting to think a year or two away would be best here. So I can save some friggin money or win the lottery or something.