master collector.... [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : master collector....

shadowdude82
10-09-2007, 07:20 AM
how do you get the "officer" price/rank over at the mc site?? and is anyone here a officer????

cheers!

cmderinchief
10-09-2007, 08:05 AM
You need to be a paying member of the GIJCC. In other words, join the club. :)

rnrhero
10-09-2007, 09:53 AM
IT really is worth it. With the Free Figure each year, and the saving at the convention, I more then make up for it. The Monthy newletter is kinda hit or miss. A few years back they had some articles about modding a 1/6th scale jeep that me and a friend did to his, but for the most part it is old news by the time I recieve the newsletter. The Dio story each month is cool though.

karamazov80
10-09-2007, 10:01 AM
The Dio story each month is cool though.

HOLY DIVER!!!:p

shadowdude82
10-09-2007, 11:30 AM
i know you need to be a paying member, but isnt there a difference in officer/trooper membership.........do you move up in rank or whats the deal???

Dosser
10-09-2007, 11:40 AM
The officer level means that you get a copy of the Master Collector classifieds in the mail each month, along with a full color copy of the GIJCC newsletter in it. You also qualify to have one free ad it the classifieds if you're looking to buy or sell stuff.

You also get the Club exclusive figure, and reduced prices at the Club store.

dockingbay97
10-09-2007, 12:32 PM
I am not convinced that membership is worth it.

Let's break it down bit by bit:

1. Reduced prices in the club store. Sure you get a break on their exclusives but the cost break on non exclusives just makes those items more or less MSRP - no real savings. And sure as a member you get to pay around $20-$25 for an exclusive figure and $78 for a large vehicle. I don't really see that as a deal.

2. Price breaks on con sets. If you are going to buy a con set, you will save $50 on the boxed set as a member. This is really the only "deal" since it is more than what you pay as an officer.

3. Free annual figure. Sure that is nice but if you are patient you can get those figures for less than the membership fee if you look on eBay.

4. Free newsletter. OK it is free but I rarely read anything in it. Sometimes I read the insert piece for a second or two but never the newsprint portion. There is very rarely any news in there that can't be found easily on the internet before you get it in the mail. I could care less if they stopped mailing it out all together.

5. BUT WAIT... now the newsletter is in "COLOR" online. Big deal. Why not just make it online and stop wasting the paper?

6. Free ad in the classifieds. Sure that is nice but I gave up looking at those years ago. I never saw any ads that were actually worthwhile.

7. Access to their forums. I haven't seen that much volume of posts or substance to get me to post there.

I am not convinced this is worth the $42 for all people. $42 is a lot of money to pay for already overly priced figures IMO. If you have the money to spend, then I say, why not. If you are concerned that the money you spend might not yield the most value for the buck spent, you should think hard about spending it else where.

I used to think it was hands down worth it but with the continued increased cost of these figures every year or two, I am no longer in that band wagon. I will be out if it all together soon before we start paying $30-$35 for a figure.

bluebikerboy1
10-09-2007, 12:41 PM
you know option b is to make friends with members and they can pick the figs up for you at there cost.......... just a thought

GBPackRat
10-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Nick,

I'm in agreement with you. The only time I was a member was the year I was attending the convention. If you plan to attend the convention, then I'd say it is worth being in the club, otherwise, a well connected person can still get con stuff even if they are not in the club. You just have to know the right people.

Tanner

shadowdude82
10-09-2007, 04:07 PM
hmm. well, i dont know the right persons but still want to get some con stuff;)

cmderinchief
10-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Dockingbay is a fan of the club I see. ;)

dockingbay97
10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Dockingbay is a fan of the club I see. ;)

The cost of it is starting to outweigh the value is all I am saying.

cmderinchief
10-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Everyone has a price (I don't mean this as a negative). Personally, to me, the club is more than the physical aspects of figures, etc. It is making new friends and seeing the old ones. That ranks as kind of priceless to me.

phillinley
10-09-2007, 11:44 PM
The point dockingbay makes about the magazine is one I think we can all agree with. It's almost embaressing seeing it in the mailbox when I get it each month. Half the time I don't even bother opening it up. They really need to reformat it to make it feel like it's worth something.

cmderinchief
10-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I wish we could get the PDF version, but they stopped posting it to until after the mailer went out because members were scooping the club on the boards by cutting and pasting newsletter news. The club said this was not fair to the paying members to have exclusive club info leaked. Honestly, I have never felt the newsletter as a source of breaking Joe news, so even I, a die hard club member, could do without the hard copy newsletter....color or B&W.

CGC
10-11-2007, 02:31 PM
I just got this month's newsletter yesterday. This one is in color. I skim over the GI Joe classifieds, but don't look at the rest of the adds at all. I do usually read the full Joe insert, though it's usually available online a week or so before my hard copy comes in the mail. The subscription price had been $36, but I think they said it was getting a $5 bump - so $41 now.

I know it isn't for everyone, but I think it's worth it.

Taichiro
10-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I just hope Hasbro doesn't give the Collector's Club exclusive rights to produce "Tiger Force" and "Python Patrol" Repaints of 25th figures.

that would royally **** me off.

FireFox91
10-11-2007, 10:06 PM
The price break on the convention set and the free annual figures are my main reasons for joining. After that there is not much reason. But the first 2 reasons are justification enough.

scm
10-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Got my October 2007 issue today and was impressed that the issue was in color, and I also like the collector spotlight feature debut, so what are your thoughts on the collectors club issues that are now in color

stad
10-11-2007, 10:20 PM
The price break on the convention set and the free annual figures are my main reasons for joining. After that there is not much reason. But the first 2 reasons are justification enough.

Agreed. I'm pretty much going to get the con set each year, so far, and that pretty much pays for it. I might as well get any extras as well.

YELSEW
10-12-2007, 02:40 AM
I am a member and have helped out a few people buying their exclusives at cost. I guess it is just being a "member" of a club is why I pay. I have been an avid toy collector for some time and really want to support the club. They make great exclusives (with the exception of this years CC. :) )