Bummed about Piper and GS/Starduster Prices [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Bummed about Piper and GS/Starduster Prices

Jay West
10-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I really am bummed aobut these three figures. I really wanted to go to the Con and would have definitly gotten these three. I was hoping ebay would be an option, but the prices are crazy.

I respect those that put out the effort to go. You guys have the right to get whatever you can for these figures. I am just bummed that I won't be able to get 3 very cool figures. I guess it sorta seems crazy that any 3 3/4 figures that are less than 2 weeks old even if they are exclusives are over $100 apiece. At that price, I just can't see them ever coming down to a price I can afford.

I hope in the future MC can do something like possibly charge a $10 premium and hold some figures for the website for everyone to have a chance to enjoy them.

starrcommand
10-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Why would they? They give them to the people who paid for the con. Not for those at home.

What you should do next time is ask for someone to pick it up. I normally do it for others but this year I couldnt attend. I am glad that someone was kind enough to do me the same favor. Especially since I feel like i was a pain to deal with.

If you read this ... Thanx Dave

Super Sport
10-09-2007, 03:52 PM
So heres what I'm wondering... If some collectors are willing to pay $100+ for these on the after market, would they have been willing to pay that much to get them directly from the GIJCC or Hasbro?

GBPackRat
10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Agreed, the best way to get what you want to through those you know. Help others out and they'll in turn help you...

Tanner

GBPackRat
10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
So heres what I'm wondering... If some collectors are willing to pay $100+ for these on the after market, would they have been willing to pay that much to get them directly from the GIJCC or Hasbro?

Doubtful...

Its the panic in the market right now that is driving these items up. People banked on them being around after the convention. The fact that they are not is what's driving the price.

Ask 400 of us if we'd pay $100+ for them and most of us will say no. Its only those last few 100 who know this is their last shot at these items before they go into hiding for a while whom are willing to pay the prices.

I bought mine at $46. Would I have paid more?

Doubtful.

Tanner

karamazov80
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I will admit upfront that I haven't paid much attention to this (I don't collect convention figures), but. . .as time passes, doesn't demand die down a bit for these convention figures, thus resulting in lower prices? I know supply on eBay will go down as time passes as well, but. . .

GBPackRat
10-09-2007, 03:58 PM
For these specific items I don't think demand will die, only the supply...

Look at the Firefly 2 Pack from '03. It started at somewhere between $30 - $40 retail at the convention. Four years later, your now looking at $200 if you want the set...

Tanner

cobraferret
10-09-2007, 04:12 PM
I contacted a member here about a month before the con.
He got mine signed by piper and larry hama for me.
I should be getting it any day now.
And yes I will get it he is a highly respected member here.
Thanks Deadshot so much.I owe you big time!

Patrick A. Riley
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I only wish people hadn't put the 2-packs on eBay so soon. Then I would have gotten mine for the agreed upon price of $60.

Instead, the one meant for me was put on eBay because of the high prices for which they are selling :( :mad:

dockingbay97
10-09-2007, 04:22 PM
As anyone actually been able to sell those Fireflys for $200? I know that one set is listed on eBay for that price but... that is a lot of cash.

Patrick A. Riley
10-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I got my Fireflys for a total of $40 shipped 2 years ago

GBPackRat
10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
As anyone actually been able to sell those Fireflys for $200? I know that one set is listed on eBay for that price but... that is a lot of cash.

I haven't seen a set go for that much yet, but I've seen them split up go for around $100 each...

Tanner

PS: When I got one of the two it cost me $30 and that was about 3 years ago. Thankfully I've got the more nifty camo looking one. I'd like the other one, but not at the going prices now a days!

Jay West
10-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Why would they? They give them to the people who paid for the con. Not for those at home.

I am simply saying they do the same thing with these figures in the future that they do with the con set. I am new and didn't know anyone who went. I stand by what I said that not not everyone can go every year and it is to bad that Joe fans are denied cool product. Even if I had gone this year I would feel the same way.

GBPackRat
10-09-2007, 07:36 PM
I understand what your saying as I haven't been able to get back to a convention since '05 (when it was in the Midwest).

But this is what makes a convention special. It costs people a pretty fair amount of money to go to these things, so getting cool product that others cannot is just one of the rewards of being able to go to the convention.

Tell ya what, ask me next year if I'm going (hopefully I'll be able to). If I am, I'd gladly pick up some stuff for ya provided you sent money ahead of time to cover the costs of buying the item and then mailing it to you.

Tanner

ttfndude
10-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I just wish I could have got a Rowdy Piper figure, was hoping he would put a few on his website oh well. another figure Ill never own

ttfndude

seaslug
10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
There is no way these figures will stay this high priced. If you buy the really limited stuff off ebay during the con before it sells out you will probably get a good deal. I hit the BIN button on 2 pipers on saturday before they sold out and got them both $116 shipped. As for the grandslam and starduster they will not stay at that price, people panic right after the con. Give it 2 months and they will go way down

GBPackRat
10-09-2007, 10:07 PM
There is no way these figures will stay this high priced. If you buy the really limited stuff off ebay during the con before it sells out you will probably get a good deal. I hit the BIN button on 2 pipers on saturday before they sold out and got them both $116 shipped. As for the grandslam and starduster they will not stay at that price, people panic right after the con. Give it 2 months and they will go way down

Personally I think that's wishful thinking, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

They may come down some, but I doubt that set will ever sell for less than $100+

Tanner

starrcommand
10-09-2007, 11:12 PM
I am simply saying they do the same thing with these figures in the future that they do with the con set. I am new and didn't know anyone who went. I stand by what I said that not not everyone can go every year and it is to bad that Joe fans are denied cool product. Even if I had gone this year I would feel the same way.

I know what your saying. But like Tanner, IE GBPackrat, said its that perk of paying out big bucks to fly and rent a hotel and pay the money to get in. Personally I feel it is fair that they get first dibs and whatever is left can go to the public. You might feel differently if you had the following happen to you and you flew out somewhere rented a hotel and such:

I have to tell you I went to the baltimore comic convention and I was royally POD because they pre-sold the Baccarra figurines. When I got there, around 12 ish ... the con had been open since 10. They had pre-sold all but about 200 or so. I went , I didnt pay to get in by a fluke, and did not get the chance to buy one because it was a pre-sale. No where on the cons website did it say there was a pre-sale. Personally I felt ripped off. I wasted my time and money to get something that was pre-sold. I would never have shown up and gone in if they had said it was a pre-sale. There were people in line with me that did the same thing. Came in from out of state to get that figurine and it was sold out.

This year was only my second time not making it to a Joe convention. I was lucky enough to have someone willing to pick my stuff up. There are plenty of people willing to do the same. Ive done it myself pretty much every year. If I go again I will do it then also. I think its a nice thing to do and so do many of the other members here.

I think you will find that most of the member on the Joe forums are willing to help when help is needed.

phillinley
10-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Personally I think that's wishful thinking, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

They may come down some, but I doubt that set will ever sell for less than $100+

Tanner

This is so insane! Every year I go to the con and get extras for trades or if someone local needs them, and I always get stuck with extras. This year I decided against buying second sets.

I'm just confused as to why this is such a big deal this year. There's usually always enough to go around. Is it the 25th anniversary buzz that's got a lot of speculation going in the market?

spiderpumpkin
10-10-2007, 12:20 AM
I wonder how many were purchased for resale? They are great figures and for the most part I would think people are holding on to these for their collections or even army building.

At $46 plus tax I only bought 2 sets even though I wanted a couple more beyond that for army building. However, I had to resist in order to have money for the sales floor on Friday and Saturday. Now it looks like army building these is going to be an expensive endeavour.

seaslug
10-10-2007, 12:51 AM

Tanner

Oh I agree they most likely will not go under $100. But I have been seing these go on ebay for over $200,thats panic price. I also beleive if you were not present at the con $100 is a fair after market price on these items. I also beleive people should stop complaining about these items not being avliable and be happy MC has plenty of maulers to go around. I thought the cobra mauler was the exclusive to get

phillinley
10-10-2007, 02:18 AM
I also beleive if you were not present at the con $100 is a fair after market price on these items.

$50 a figure? No I don't think that's a fair price for those. If I didn't already have them, I'd be waiting for the Hong Kong dumpster divers to start auctioning them for 20 bucks a piece.

cmderinchief
10-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Hey Jay....ya know me now! :D

GBPackRat
10-10-2007, 09:16 AM
$50 a figure? No I don't think that's a fair price for those. If I didn't already have them, I'd be waiting for the Hong Kong dumpster divers to start auctioning them for 20 bucks a piece.

Yeah somehow I don't see that happening anymore... Its been a few years since I last saw anything from a HK Dumpster...

Someone was saying the Cobra Mauler was the piece to get. Agreed, I think it was, but at $80, I think it priced a bunch of people out of getting it.

Tanner

Patrick A. Riley
10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
I too think that "the dumpster" is empty. Otherwise, we would have seen something before the Con

YELSEW
10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
You can get the Firefly 2 pack on Brians Toys for $100. They are in stock. I made the mistake of opening mine! LOL.... He is my favorite Cobra, I couldn't resist.

I am one of the crazy idiots driving up the prices on Ebay. I really want the 2 pack. I am willing to pay $125 for both, but not 285!!! That is crazy!!

airedevon
10-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Wesley, I have an extra 2-pack that I was saving to trade... But if you can find a Desert Coyote set (boxed Dollar General repack) for me, I will let you have the 2-pack for what I paid for it...

It's the last US piece I need (to date) to complete my photos for the book!

Thanks!
Aire

John Missal
10-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I've seen those Coyotes. That package is so much nicer than the regular. Good luck on getting them.

JohN m.

airedevon
10-10-2007, 11:48 AM
John, thanks! Yea, I agree - it is nice packaging! I saw them around quite a bit for a while - but didn't realize I needed one then (I had opened mine, and "thought" I had an extra... the story of my life :-)

Take care,
Aire

stad
10-10-2007, 12:03 PM

I kept waiting for the MOTH figures to show up, but no luck yet.